What's The Limit Of Ethics?

Dude, in some places, DSL is NOT alot of bandwidth.Take me for example:

-Telus DSL high-speed internet (provincial phone company) has a bandwidth cap of 30GB upload/download. Not seperate up/down mind you, ALL TOGETHER!

DSL is not god, even when its claimed to be braodband :angry:

I was merely stating that someone without the knowledge to properly secure a wireless router is probably not maxing out their upload download speed anyway.

I don't think they're downloading the latest Ubuntu release, and twenty movies, on Bittorrent. :rolleyes:

I was NOT saying that in any way that DSL was perfect... (BTW... the speeds you speak of are godly compared to ones one could get in some countries that I've visited or lived in. (Try sharing 1Mbit/sec Down with 40 people and you'll know what I mean.) :p

Dude, in some places, DSL is NOT alot of bandwidth.Take me for example:

-Telus DSL high-speed internet (provincial phone company) has a bandwidth cap of 30GB upload/download. Not seperate up/down mind you, ALL TOGETHER!

DSL is not god, even when its claimed to be braodband :angry:
There's always a gulf between Good DSL and Shitty DSL, same for Cable. My DSL connection in Japan is getting me over 800KBytes/sec downstream, 32-50 KBytes/sec up, though of course latency to the US and Europe where most sites I visit is higher than sites in Japan, they're still about as fast to access as they were back in the states. I know some people with DSL that is <130 KBytes/sec down though, and people with cable in England even slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people with DSL that is <130 KBytes/sec down though, and people with cable in England even slower.

And Australia, mate. Unless you have cable, the DSL here is rather crap. And expensive. Did I mention expensive? A monthly cable plan here for a 10GB usage cap is AUD$60. Is that laughable? :D

Here's an analogy.

If someone left their doors unlocked and you nipped in for a glass of water, is that illegal?
If you nipped in for a cup of coffee, is that more illegal.
(assuming water is free and boiled water and coffee grounds aren't)

Is it illegal to steal a piece of unlimited bandwidth?
Is it illegal to push someone's bandwidth over their cap so they get penalized.

What you could do is knock on their door and offer to secure their network for them ;)

Oh, damn, i forogt to add the most important part to my rant :huh:

I meant that i can only upload and download a total of 30GB a month on my connection, it gets shut off if i go over that. 30GB total usage a month. it sucks. Hard.

Where I come from, most idiot DSL users are on a ADSL1@256kbps download with 200MB downloads for $30, where they pay about $150 a gig after that.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Telstra...d-ADSL/1-2.html

Seriouly. Leech a movie of one of these people and you seriuosly hurt their standard of living for a month.

So be careful. Idiots have feelings too.

My laptop has a 12GB HDD, of which only 9GB are still available. Besides, the signal's poor, and speed is fairly slow and unstable, so it's not like I'm ever going to hog their BW, even if I wanted, which I really don't. I suspect one of the bastards shut his network off last night though, probably went to bed seeing all his router's lights blinking :D

Imagine getting an apartment over a commercial complex or a coffee shop, free WiFi for all! On a side note, does WiFi cause cancer, you know, like cell phones do?

- Alex

Here's an analogy.

If someone left their doors unlocked and you nipped in for a glass of water, is that illegal?
If you nipped in for a cup of coffee, is that more illegal.
(assuming water is free and boiled water and coffee grounds aren't)

Is it illegal to steal a piece of unlimited bandwidth?
Is it illegal to push someone's bandwidth over their cap so they get penalized.

What you could do is knock on their door and offer to secure their network for them ;)
RESPECT.

For the record, I've never lived anywhere where I have known ANYONE who paid for a capped level of bandwidth. I think they offer such a plan here but it's the first I've seen of it, and I don't know anybody who actually subscribes to it, since a flat-rate plan is only a little more.

For the record, I've never lived anywhere where I have known ANYONE who paid for a capped level of bandwidth. I think they offer such a plan here but it's the first I've seen of it, and I don't know anybody who actually subscribes to it, since a flat-rate plan is only a little more.

Seriously, thats like using dialup. Who DOES it anymore?

Seriously, thats like using dialup. Who DOES it anymore?

People in Australia who are forced to because our govnmnt created a monster of a telco that is trying to take over the world

Vancouver and other cities will soon offer dial-up internet as a free basic utility, along with sewer and water connections...

i kid you not...
you still pay for the local call right? And the connection disconnects after a few hours?
I'm not sure about Vancouver, but in Edmonton there's no charge for the local call, you just pay a flat rate for service every month and then you get billed extra if you call long distance. IIRC Vancouver's main telco is the same as Edmonton's so I'm pretty sure it's the same.

Back