What's The Limit Of Ethics?

Alex.

Retired
I just bought a wifi pc card for my P3 laptop, and am getting (poor) signal from neighbours' wireless networks :D I'm posting from one of them right now, I wonder if they have a way of tracking who uses it. Yay for free internets.

-Alex

I just bought a wifi pc card for my P3 laptop, and am getting (poor) signal from neighbours' wireless networks :D I'm posting from one of them right now, I wonder if they have a way of tracking who uses it. Yay for free internets.

-Alex

It's called a honey pot. I've done it a few times. only really caught someone once. Its not to hard to trace with just using signal strength. However you can pinpoint using GPS.

They other times I was looking for someone to share internet cost with.

I do this sometimes at work, but I get better technology there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any legal means they can pursuit against me? Also, can they find out I'm eating their 'honey' without just guessing I do so?

- Alex

!that's pignutted :( I hope they finds out you stealing their bandwith, so internet speed became slow shit, how to is git's fault, wuaaagH

?:lol: grapeful if can thrown in jail fored paF

People that don't secure their wireless networks aren't going to know how to track a signal... unless, of course they left it open, so they could steal your personal information.

Realize that even though your neighbors might not be hackers, if they left their network unsecured and you are using it, someone that might know what he is doing can sit in front of your house and steal information that you are sending to the internet because packets are not encrypted between you and the router.

I've heard of people getting charged with theft of services for using a business' internet without purchasing coffee or staying at their hotel, but using someones network without permission could be theft of some kind and could be considered hacking into someone else's computer (no matter how unsecured it was).

Why don't you just get $9.95 dial-up from Net-zero or something, if you are getting such bad signal strength?

True dat, these mofos need to get their own internet.

No, no, I have (wired ;)) internet. This is just to test my wifi card, I'll use it on campus. I don't plan on abusing these guys' networks, and most definitely will not check important information or make bandwidth-costly downloads on their account.

Although wireless Starcraft via BattleNet from the comfort of my bed sounds awfully nice ;)

- Alex

PS: Thomas is Klown.

Hmm, all this seems rather immoral to me.

:p

D'oh, well was just playing, no need get fad wuaaaagh :(

StarCraft is the best RTS out there, hands down. The rest are just immitators.. you know the drill :)

- Alex

Put a wireless card in your PC so you can share your internet with your laptop.

And then move to Korea, so you can play against other people who also still play star craft online.

at 9 MegaBYTES p/s internet im not sure your wifi card could handle it.

Are people that don't know enough to secure their wireless really going to miss any bandwidth anyway. I'm assuming they have DSL or Broadband... they can't possibly be using it all. :p

Back