What's happened to Zardoz Jones??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdp

Does anyone know if this talented guy is still developing for the GP32 or not? It would be a shame if he has stopped, because he developed some brilliant software.

He created the following (from memory - sorry any mistakes):-

Gameboy emulator - GPVGB v 0.11
Snes emulator
Divx player
Specturm emulator - GPSpeccy V0.05

Not sue what else he has done.

I think he said a couple of weeks ago that his genesis emulator now runs 90%-100%...but he will only release it when there are no bugs...

If you wait for something it will never arrive,

The trick is to release your mind from all hopes and wishes and you will be flooded :)

Zardoz Jones sucks. I don't have any respect for someone who makes things half-ass and keeps us hoping for a Genesis emulator that won't be released.

And I don't have any respect for someone who whines about what he gets for free.

What's the deal, kram?

I think you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. If you have no respect for ZardozJones, then you definitely have some problems. He was one of the original gp32 homebrew devr's and he's made quality programs through and through. Your problem is that you lack the knowledge to make you well-informed.

Indeed, Zardoz did work on the above-listed programs. And you COULD say that all of them are flawed, at least a little. But to assume that he makes things half-assed, is just that, an assumtion.

1. GPVGB was his project, but he had higher ambitions and gave the project to another devr (some japanese guy). Anyways, GPVGB is the best GB emu we have.

2. The SNES emu he was working on was leaked, and the version you have is an unfinished beta. And like so many other devrs, that pissed him off, so he quit that one too.

3. The Divx player you may have from him (GpDivx .3 was the last public beta) is REALLY old and he continues to work on it off and on. He is now working for Gamepark to make MoviePark work better and/or replace MoviePark with his better Divx player.

4. Speccy was the first emu for gp32, and started only as a test to get something working on GP32. He has said that he'd like to work more on it (he may have already done this), but his other projects come first.

Lastly, he is working on the Genesis emu. I've heard really good things about it, but he now has to worry about Gamepark because he is employed to them. At a time (quite a while ago), there were talks that Sega may become a third-party developer for Gamepark, so Gamepark asked Zardoz to not release the Genesis emu as it may look bad for the company as a whole. After that, Zardoz has been working quite a bit more privately. I'm assuming this is to keep his ass out of a sling.

Anyways, some of the above comments may be partially untrue. I am not writing a biography about Zardoz, so there may be a few mistakes above. But I felt that since Zardoz isn't here to defend himself, someone ought to.

kram wtf do you mean half assed? you are an idiot and boards like this would be better off without people like you

Lastly, he is working on the Genesis emu. I've heard really good things about it, but he now has to worry about Gamepark because he is employed to them. At a time (quite a while ago), there were talks that
Sega may become a third-party developer for Gamepark, so Gamepark asked Zardoz to not release the Genesis emu as it may look bad for the company as a whole.

Are there still negotiations between Sega and Gamepark or is the potential deal definately off?

it's not entirely hard to understan where kram is coming from.. the main problem with GP32 is that the fact is, there's just a lot of half-assed software released for it. I can't think of a single, 100 percent plug in and play emulator, and this pisses people off (especially after you've unloaded a couple hundred bucks for the thing) Yes there's commercial software, but none of it is ever going to be as good as a --good-- GBA game (ok, there's some interesting looking RPGs but .. they're in Korean! Nuff said)

To make it worse we have sites like these that periodically publish pictures/videos of the work-in-progress emulators in action.. and they look DAMN good.. but then weeks (or months) pass by often, and many of these things just kind of sit and get left behind.

None of the emu authors owe us ANYTHING. Yes, we must be grateful for all they have done, and more than that RESPECTFUL (the shit's for FREE, folks..!) Okay not FREE free (you still gotta pony up the cash for the device) but no, the emu authors aren't seeing a red cent, all they are earning is respect so at least give them that.

If you MUST be pissed at SOMETHING, get pissed at the hype and anticipation that we all have to sit through. There's already uncountable amounts of enjoyable games fairly well emulated on the GP32, go and fiddle with those while you wait for your hopeful/eventual release of that holy grail emulator. Otherwise, sell the thing on Ebay and get a GBA instead. This isn't a mainstream device, or scene, and it's not ever gonna be.. it's just something a little different, and that's what makes it special.

You say one thing against the GP32,
the main problem with GP32 is that the fact is, there's just a lot of half-assed software released for it. I can't think of a single, 100 percent plug in and play emulator, and this pisses people off (especially after you've unloaded a couple hundred bucks for the thing) Yes there's commercial software, but none of it is ever going to be as good as a --good-- GBA game (ok, there's some interesting looking RPGs but .. they're in Korean! Nuff said)
It still early days yet, No major backing and no offical release outside of korea.
Then totally contradict yourself by saying,
There's already uncountable amounts of enjoyable games fairly well emulated on the GP32, go and fiddle with those while you wait for your hopeful/eventual release of that holy grail emulator. Otherwise, sell the thing on Ebay and get a GBA instead. This isn't a mainstream device, or scene, and it's not ever gonna be.. it's just something a little different, and that's what makes it special.
Thats exactly why most people have brought the GP32, As well as for the numerous other things the little device can do. A lot of people, If not most should know the state of play when it comes to software on the GP32 as there is enough info out there about it, Here and on other sites.
As for this thread, It does not give Kram (who ever he is) the right to single out one person in particular and actually name him and say he has no respect for him. When he obviously doesn`t know what the word means or how to use it.

Trooper

aha! FLAME WAR, everyone suxorzsz!! (j/k)
naw, I wasn't defending what kram said, I think that should be clear from my ramblings. I just said it's not impossible to understand where his pissed off "where are these so-called promised emulators already" attitude was coming from- although I don't agree with his expression, ignorant and ungracious as it was...

No flame intended. :)

Was just saying you were dashing the GP32, Then defending it with the same arguement. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Plus, I was not saying you were defending kram or even justifying what he was saying. :)

Trooper

I think you were trying to cover both the bases, and two different and opposite arguments. Jeez, first people ask for "any info on an emulator, whatever" and you get fGen screens etc., then people turn around and say the screens are too appealing :)

I'm sorry, but why even bother creating an emulator if you aren't even going to finish or work on it. I would've rather not have had him release the emulators he created AT ALL than have people get high hopes over nothing.

And yes I am aware that all him emu's are created in his spare time and with his free will, but I don't understand why he can't even finish one. I would, and I'm sure a hell of a lot more people, would be much happier to see ONE full speed emu than many (to put it nicely) so-so emulators.

BTW, I heard a while ago that ZJ wasn't even developing for the GP32 anymore, so no, he is not working on his emulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back