What Was The Best Generation Of Gaming?

The Best Generation of Gaming!

• First Generation (Magnavox Oddysee, Wonder Wizard etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second Generation (Atari 2600, Fairchild Channel F etc.)

• Third Generation (NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800 etc.)

• Fourth Generation (Sega MegaDrive, SNES etc.)

• Fifth Generation (PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Saturn etc.)

• Sixth Generation (PlayStation 2,XBOX,GameCube,Dreamcast, etc)

• Seventh Generation (PlayStation 3, XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii)

• It's a tie between multiple eras (please specify)

• I'm only into Portable gaming such as , GP2x and Pandora.

• Other (please specify thoughts)

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
3, 4, 5 & 6.

Gen 7 still has a long while (and still has a lot of work to do to prove itself) to go to finally prove itself.
B)

EDIT: Admins/Mods, please edit my poll, because "Go2x" is meant to be GP2x.

Done - Tobriand

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a better question would be what is the best time period. I would say 1998.

Hooray! Fourth generation is winning! Easily the "best", in one's own humble opinion. And yes, 1998 was a fine year, as it was the year I learnt of the Dreamcast. The only games I remember from that year are Grim Fandango, Worms 2 and that oh-so-succulent Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey (or "Relentless 2" in the US, for some reason or other).

I said multiple eras - speficially 4 and 6. I loved the NES - but one console doesn't make an era great, and the SNES really beat the NES anyway.

When the "all optical drive" era hit - the doors were blown off consoles. They went from single-use game systems to media centers at the heart of your living room entertainment experience. I love the Xbox and the PS2 - I really wish the Dreamcast had stuck around. Could you imagine a Dreamcast 2 with a DVD drive, hard drive, and wireless ethernet? *drool*

The Wii kicks ass - but, again, one console doesn't make an era great. The 360 is a very good system - but I don't know if it has made it to the "Great" level yet. And the PS3 sucks donkey balls. So, I can't say the current gen is awesome.

I think the handheld option should be removed - because that's a completely different question. I love the current scene with handhelds - the DS Lite, the PSP, and the GBA SP - all must-have systems. (You got to have the GBA to get the old school GBO/GBC games - or just mod another system to play the roms.)

Yum, Dreamcast 2 would be lovely. With added Saturn/Mega CD support, maybe a cartridge slot for Mega Drive, 32X and possibly Master System games? Yeah, the ultimate SEGA thingy.

Although not a console the early PC era (1993-1997ish) was, I thought the best, consoles never really did it for me.

Populus, Day of the Tentacle, Doom, Sim city, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Abe Oddysee (I know originally PS1), Wing commander, Dungeon Keeper, Diablo, ah Diablo!

Largely the reason why I bought a GP2X, some of the older PC games IN MY HAND!!

Day of the Tentacle on the GP2X ROCKS!

Ah, the lost days of my yoof! (Sinks into the fuzzy warm sofa of Nostalgia)......

Z

Yes, Z by the Bitmap Brothers, I liked that one. Been thinking today, and 1994 was probably my favourite gaming year. Most of the best MegaDrive games were out in that year, and there was all the excitement/threat of the 50 different 32-bit consoles that were coming up around then. PlayStation, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar, CD-i, NeoGeo CD, 32X, all that jibber-jabber.

Plus, beanie hats were "in".

i think they are all good. without 1 there wouldnt be 2 and without 2 there wouldnt be 3 and so on.
But really my first time playing games was on the atari 800xl it was great and my whole family was playing it so i think that time was good must have been around the mid 80s.

Right now.
if that doesn't count, the generation before that.
as the industry grows larger, more, higher budget games will be released, which gives you a better chance of finding fun games.
the current gen handheld market is pretty amazing, we have the ds, the psp, the gp2x, and (soon) the pandora, all amazing devices for different reasons.
as far as nostalgia goes however, the N64 era.
so many great games. or doom.
doom was epic.
2damax.

Can I get some fifth-generation love?

The PS1 marked the birth of inexpensive optical media games, with cutscenes and sweet 3D graphics and such. I had one and I thought it was brilliant. The N64, too, was a decent console (that I didn't own). Fifth followed on from the great fourth-gen (the Megadrive remains one of my favourite consoles) and after fifth came sixth, with the Dreamcast (best console ever), the Xbox (also fantastic) and the PS2 (who can argue with that number of games?).

nickspoon said:
Can I get some fifth-generation love?

I hear that. My first home console was an N64. I lived a shielded (here meaning I had to make do with swingball and a sandpit) childhood, lol, ironically though my first game was Mortal Kombat 4 (18).

SONY said:
No love for 1st and 2nd gen, lol. :lol: B)
Or 3rd for that matter - although I mentioned it in my "combination platter".

cherrycyanide said:
I wish the Dreamcast wouldn't have died out. I think the dreamcast 2 could have given the PS2 a run for its money.
eh?
the dreamcast was only released a year or so before the ps2..
do you mean ps3?

Why exactly did the Dreamcast die? Lack of third party support? Why?

Back