What To Do With The First 105 Pandoras...

how many, if any, out of the first 105 pandoras should be sent to random end users instead of to dev

• Total voters

Save the 105 for mags, tvshows, reviewers, and stuff like that, and developers maybe.

We consumers want fresh pandoras that will last for as long as possible, 20+ years please!

Shock-Socks said:
i think i'd be bery amazing if the pandora team could ship, out of the first 105 pandoras, about 20 to randomly selected pre-order-ers (end users) instead of to the developers. i'd be a nice little reward for waiting so patiently, and i'm sure the community (at least the select few of us that get one of those 20 pandoras) would be very grateful.

So it would be a nice little reward to give end users who have waited patiently and paid pandora's with boards that have gone through very extensive burn in tests?

Craig's stated decision seems the best to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
darkstorm said:
Shock-Socks said:
i think i'd be bery amazing if the pandora team could ship, out of the first 105 pandoras, about 20 to randomly selected pre-order-ers (end users) instead of to the developers. i'd be a nice little reward for waiting so patiently, and i'm sure the community (at least the select few of us that get one of those 20 pandoras) would be very grateful.

So it would be a nice little reward to give end users who have waited patiently and paid pandora's with boards that have gone through very extensive burn in tests?

Craig's stated decision seems the best to me.
Yeah. But it would be nice to see a customer unbox it.

MDave said:
What if the NAND flash memory has also been tested constantly reading and written to? We know they have a pretty short life :eek:

We need more information on what and how the burn in tests are done I guess.

I hadn't really thought about the flash memory before. Good point.

I am in agreement on using the 105 to send free to devs and to the press. I am still strongly suggesting waiting to send to the press until the proper time, and not to rush it.

Hadn't thought about the NAND, true, true.. Again without specifics, it's impossible to know if lifespan would be tangibly reduced. But when considering NAND, I have to agree that giving them to DEVs is a good reward for their labor. :)

Aaaannnd... a few as sacrifices to our EvilDragon. heheheh!!

No frigging random buyers. Send them in the order of purchase. Maybe send like 5 to random buyers, but not 20 and not 30.

Etinin said:
No frigging random buyers. Send them in the order of purchase. Maybe send like 5 to random buyers, but not 20 and not 30.
Whered you get 5 from? just a nice number?

PoisonedV said:
Etinin said:
Whered you get 5 from? just a nice number?

wondered that but there is 5-10 in the pole <_<

I just want to explain something about the press getting some.

There are a small number of websites/journalists who have followed the Pandora project where other sites have ignored it. Some of these people have kept in touch and done a lot to get the word out there. In return I've always promised them a first look at a Pandora ahead of other sites/magazines.

That is why they are getting some.

craigix said:

There are a small number of websites/journalists who have followed the Pandora project where other sites have ignored it. Some of these people have kept in touch and done a lot to get the word out there. In return I've always promised them a first look at a Pandora ahead of other sites/magazines.

/me quickly goes and creates site to promote pandora in hopes of getting early unit

Gruso said:
I think Craig's decision not to send the tested/abused 105 boards to paying customers is the right one.

Totaly agree, if a paying customer got one and in the unlikely event it failed you could imagine the warbled screaming and ranting in the forums.

Still I think I should get one of the first... after the initial 105 :D well I'm a photographer, I can do product shots. (thats my defence and i'm sticking to it m'lud)

craigix said:

That's not unreasonable. I think they need to be journalists who, as you say, understand and have followed the project first. God knows many other devices get a beating for being not mature in their software amongst other things. I don't see anything wrong with the idea: as customers we (well I) don't want one of the burnt-in ones, and we might as well see some people's impressions and pictures of final units.

craigix said:

I would call this a pretty good reason for sending units to these sites. However, I still think that you need to be very careful about how you're attracting attention here, what else is going on at the same time on these boards, and the information that the sites/journalists have about the status of the project. I think it would be great publicity to be have them say in their reviews that the units are *currently shipping*, as opposed to *preparing to ship.* That's not to say that we should be sent ours first, but either at the same time, or a day later or something, just so that they can say that shipping has begun.

Outside of these small number of websites/journalists, I still stand by my previous statements. I think that selecting the proper time to grab attention has the potential to make your lives a lot easier when it comes time for the second batch pre-orders. I also think that selecting the proper time will allow you to get the best general public opinion of the pandora, again mainly because of happy customers.

Good luck!

craigix said:

Engadget will, I hope. Gizmodo doesn't seem to like it (and they're not very nice anyway).

Edit: But don't tell them! Just ship it to them. I think they like being surprised.

Back