What To Do With The First 105 Pandoras...

how many, if any, out of the first 105 pandoras should be sent to random end users instead of to dev

• Total voters

Gruso said:
I think Craig's decision not to send the tested/abused 105 boards to paying customers is the right one.

yeah, no one wants to end up stuck with the psychotherapist's bill of an abused Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
liquidphantom said:
Gruso said:
I think Craig's decision not to send the tested/abused 105 boards to paying customers is the right one.

Totaly agree, if a paying customer got one and in the unlikely event it failed you could imagine the warbled screaming and ranting in the forums.

Still I think I should get one of the first... after the initial 105 :D well I'm a photographer, I can do product shots. (thats my defence and i'm sticking to it m'lud)

see Bathtub_curve and Burn-in

the 105 tested boards that survived (if any failed) have statistically less chances to fail once the customers get them than the 3895 other boards.

Sounds a bit like my Ipod, I bought it refurbed from apple, most likely one part of it had failed and it has been working for like 3 or 4 years with no problems. Just because they've been used a lot doesn't mean that they are more prone to failure.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
the 105 tested boards that survived (if any failed) have statistically less chances to fail once the customers get them than the 3895 other boards.
Statistics and reality rarely play a part in human decisions :p
If one of the virgin boards dies, it's just something that happens.
If one of the burn in boards dies, what do you think the odds are that an emotional person is going to blame the excess wear it got in burn in?

WizardStan said:
Statistics and reality rarely play a part in human decisions :p
If one of the virgin boards dies, it's just something that happens.
If one of the burn in boards dies, what do you think the odds are that an emotional person is going to blame the excess wear it got in burn in?

I don't think that it's failure in the first few years that you'd need to worry about, but a shortened life, say 10 instead of 12 years of use, or however long the average life of a pandora is. Also, as has been mentioned, doing a lot of read/write/erase operations to the NAND will wear it down fast, that's probably the part of the board with the most limited life span.

Well if others don't want a Pandora that's lifespan will be reduced from 12 to 10 years, please allow me to alleviate you of the burden, as I'd really like a Pandora for my next plane trip in December! :p

As for NAND; who cares? The unit can boot from SD anyway.

emil10001 said:
I don't think that it's failure in the first few years that you'd need to worry about, but a shortened life, say 10 instead of 12 years of use, or however long the average life of a pandora is. Also, as has been mentioned, doing a lot of read/write/erase operations to the NAND will wear it down fast, that's probably the part of the board with the most limited life span.
Probability of failure in the first year is not zero! It doesn't matter what we should or should not be worried about. I'm saying that, should a burn in board die early, there's a reasonable chance that the user, or at least any outside users that hear about it, will blame its early demise on the fact that it was a burn in board, and then complain that OpenPandora should not have been sending out "used" boards as new.

I still don't care. I'll have one for my flight and take the risk it'll fail within 12 months.

I'm in the 1st 105. I thought it was decided that burn-in boards would have a bit of an exception to the standard warranty. Either way I'm not griping. Developers should have access to some but other than a few press, why? Or are preorders for 2nd batch funding the run like this unsmooth production?

It will be nice to actually have a Pandora! I hope its not in 2 months!!

Peace

Link

Developers - I'd love my pandora to be the first one off the line, but if I've got nothing to put on it.. well I suspect the novelty might wear off pretty fast.
Give developers whatever it takes (i.e. Pandoras, praise & beer) to make great stuff. Then lend/sell/bribe journalists and the bloggers to wave the lovely thing infront of the world.

It sure would be fun to see at least a few Pandora's ship before Christmas. For the happy symbolism if nothing else.

Demo units and Dev units don't really "count".

goldcd said:
Developers - I'd love my pandora to be the first one off the line, but if I've got nothing to put on it.. well I suspect the novelty might wear off pretty fast.
It's a computer. You can't think of things to do with a computer?

VRAndy said:
It's a computer. You can't think of things to do with a computer?

Hmmm... I knew I felt funny typing that. Seems back in July I made a post criticizing people who said exactly that. link

liquidphantom said:
Gruso said:

Totaly agree, if a paying customer got one and in the unlikely event it failed you could imagine the warbled screaming and ranting in the forums.

Still I think I should get one of the first... after the initial 105 :D well I'm a photographer, I can do product shots. (thats my defence and i'm sticking to it m'lud)

see Bathtub_curve and Burn-in

There are lies, damn lies... and statistics

the hardware wont change so why not send them to anyone. send them to the most important/dedicated developers then if there are any left send to the oldest preorderers

torpor said:
Mjlink said:
I'm in the 1st 105.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but how do you know this?
I know this because when I've changed my shipping address, I asked where I was in line & I got a reply.
I think being in the 1st 105 is no longer gonna get me my Pandora weeks ahead of the rest, maybe a few days or two weeks tops.

I hope I don't have to change my address a 3rd time, but I may have to. :(

Peace

Link

Back