What System Do You Want Emulated First?

I hope for CPS3, it's all about the portable Street Fighter 3: Third Strike fix.

craigix said:
Amiga for me all the way. I'm sure some of you can tell we have tried to get some of the spirit of the amiga in to the pandora.
If you can capture a mere 10% of that spirit the Pandora will rock. Hopefully UAE on this thing will totally own and give the console boys a taste of what made the Amiga such a legend.

Time for me to dust off my Scene CDs methinks :) Pocket Miggy Demos ftw :)

Youtube "spaceballs state off the art" and "9 fingers" etc and a lot of the cool demos are there but having the amiga scene classics in your pocket would be fantastic. Time to copy all my Eric Scwartz anims off the 1200s HD methinks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mame first. Just imagine more playable games from the 90s at full speed. I wish for Dreamcast next but not sure if it's possible. Portable Shenmue on the go. I would love to replay that game on a handheld. Sega needs to remake this for the DS or someone make it happen on the Pandora.

Amiga for me all the way. I'm sure some of you can tell we have tried to get some of the spirit of the amiga in to the pandora.

From: http://www.clockerz.org/articles/gp2x_qa_w...g_rothwell.html

Q1: It's fantastic to see a console manufacturer that actually embraces the homebrew (amateur coding) scene. What were your main reasons for this? (GP2X)

A1: Because we know that it is an untapped market which Sony and N won't enter into. We always loved the Amiga scene which was very similar, and we knew all those Amiga owners were still out there waiting for a new system which had the spirit of the Amiga scene.

That Amiga spirit is sure persistent, at least as a marketing term :p

skeezix said:
Don't worry about ST .. I've still got a Pandora coming from the gbax compo, so there will be my usual round of ST emus ASAP, and maybe moreso. I also will bring (if no one else does) text adventure engines, and of course my usual games (BattleJewels and so on.)

I'm _very much_ looking forward to the Pandora; the keyboard alone makes it some serious hotness for me.

DosBox will rule on that baby :)

jeff

Cool. And BattleJewels Wi-Fi multiplayer? FTW. ;)

Given that a fullspeed SNES emulator can be 'easily' achieved on Pandora, I saw we get that out of the way first.

After that, I'd love to see MAME.

Then we can move on to PSX, DOS, and fullspeed GBA.

N64 down the road.

DS would be awesome, but not sure how feasible that is.

All this assuming we get ports of the already excellent GP2X software like Temper, PicoDrive and GPFCE.

naples39 said:
Given that a fullspeed SNES emulator can be 'easily' achieved on Pandora, I saw we get that out of the way first.

After that, I'd love to see MAME.

Leave that to me, if craigix has his way that should be one of the early ones out.

naples39 said:
All this assuming we get ports of the already excellent GP2X software like Temper, PicoDrive and GPFCE.
Pressure's on now, it's going to take a while before Temper can really compete with the likes of Mednafen or Ootake (except for in battery life).

Exophase said:
naples39 said:
Leave that to me, if craigix has his way that should be one of the early ones out.
It's great to hear such confidence from a dev! Good luck with the project.

Exophase said:
naples39 said:

Pressure's on now, it's going to take a while before Temper can really compete with the likes of Mednafen or Ootake (except for in battery life).

I didn't realize such mature PC emulators would be easy port candidates on Pandora. Not trying to create more work for you, but I just assumed you'd want to get as much life out of your from-scratch emulator as possible.

I also find it kind of ironic that several people in this thread are calling for a Saturn emulator, yet over in the emulated games thread, there is hardly any mention of people wanting to play an actual Saturn title.

craigix said:
You should make it run Amiga OS

Peter R said:
atomicthumbs said:
#1 GameMaster said:
So would this actually be possible to be emulated; if so that would be wicked! :D
I sure hope somebody manages to reverse-engineer WFC. :D

Surely you'd merely need to emulate the DS hardware and the software would run then. So that means that if you emulate the wifi hardware then WFC would work as per normal?

I assumed that the DS would have some sort of stream encryption.
Hmm...

*goes off to see if he can install a packet-capture daemon on his router*

Edit:

iDeaS seems to be the DS emulator that's farthest along. It has a Linux version, it's plugin-based, and it runs on GTK2+, so that ought to be easy enough to port - if the team would release the source code to a talented coder.

Also, here's a technical document for the DS: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

atomicthumbs said:
iDeaS seems to be the DS emulator that's farthest along. It has a Linux version, it's plugin-based, and it runs on GTK2+, so that ought to be easy enough to port - if the team would release the source code to a talented coder.

Also, here's a technical document for the DS: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

You can forget about that. No DS emulator for PC would be fast enough after being ported, especially not the ones that run on Linux. DS emulators require pretty high end PCs to run well.

Exophase said:
You can forget about that. No DS emulator for PC would be fast enough after being ported, especially not the ones that run on Linux. DS emulators require pretty high end PCs to run well.
Not for long. They're getting faster and faster. Many games can already be played full speed, and not just on high end machines. I'm sure that it will be feasible in a few years.

Shiny said:
Exophase said:
Not for long. They're getting faster and faster. Many games can already be played full speed, and not just on high end machines. I'm sure that it will be feasible in a few years.

Could be because what's considered "high end" is moving up in the PC world, and will continue to do so. That's not going to happen with Pandora. I don't think DS emulators for PC are going to keep getting faster, just like GBA emulators never did. For reference, see what happened when people tried porting VBA to PSP, GP32, GP2X, etc.

Exophase said:
Could be because what's considered "high end" is moving up in the PC world, and will continue to do so. That's not going to happen with Pandora. I don't think DS emulators for PC are going to keep getting faster, just like GBA emulators never did. For reference, see what happened when people tried porting VBA to PSP, GP32, GP2X, etc.

The DS only has a 66 and 33mhz processor. So it's not impossible that there's a LOT of room for optimization.

Back