What Stuff are you going to use with the Pyra?

Stellanatus

I created an image with google draw over the stuff I want to get/do with the Pyra.

I plan to replace my Chromebook and my Android phone/tablet by dual booting android and using chromium.

I already don't pay for internet or cable or phone service (I am never home except for sleep... hell I don't even pay the electric bill anymore). I am always at some local wifi hotspot through the day (mall, work, college) and get tired having to lug around a tablet and chromebook.

So this little device would be my everything except for gaming other than retro games (which I have lost my gaming addiction anyway). Hulu, Funimation, WWE Network are like my show providers. I can call/text anyone with Textplus, Chrome has my calendar/contacts/docs/bookmarks. Android has android stuff...

I use Mega Cloud as my main storage which I mirror my physical portable hard drive, I have a cool little earpiece that you can't see without looking real hard so I can party while I work, and some other stuff down below in the picture. I will even go as far as tossing my pants in the garbage just for pants that would pocket the Pyra lol!

Can you beat my usage plans? ^_^

l9pDviG.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Games, web surfing and productivity.  I hope I'll be able to play Dreamcast and Saturn games at a better clip.

GeoCaching if i get a project of mine somewhat usable, and the GPS works (and QtPositioning works on the platform). And of course games and everything i use my tablet for.

Compliments on your fanny pack btw, that støff looks real gangsta =)

GeoCaching if i get a project of mine somewhat usable, and the GPS works (and QtPositioning works on the platform). And of course games and everything i use my tablet for.

Compliments on your fanny pack btw, that støff looks real gangsta =)
Not going to lie. I love fanny packs. I have one that detaches off the front of my bicycle that I carry around and call it my "Gadget pack". The one in the picture am thinking about ordering. Tomorrow I have money for some online shopping. I have to make sure I get the right sized pouches though.

It will replace my smartphone and my tablet, so that on the road I will only have my el-cheapo dummy phone and Pyra.

I may take the Note 8 as well if i can get it to work as a graphics tablet for the Pyra.

I.e. mirror the Pyra screen, and recieve input + pressure sensitivity from the sPen.

It will be my primary development environment as I train myself in Python.

I already have a 20000mah power bank

Because my mother insisted, I also now have a 'Microsoft LifeCam HD', which is fairly compact...  so I hope it works.

I have a 1tb passport drive, but will probably get a 3tb when the Pyra is out.

I will be getting no less than 2 x 64gb sd cards, but probably a 128gb + 64gb.

I'm not so interested in Android, but am very interested in using the Pyra/Linux to become invisible online.

Honestly, I hardly ever game anymore, so I will probably only keep a collection of games from my youth for nostalgia...

I will be using the Pyra more as a mini-laptop / netbook with a focus on creativity.

I plan on getting the Pyra with the integrated 4G modem if it doesn't add too much to the price.

Right now I am using 2 phones: a dual sim small Galaxy S4 mini for work (my company has all rights on it, and I am not allowed to root it) and a heavy Galaxy S3 with a double battery for personnal use (custom rom).

In total I am using 3 sim cards: 1 for work, voice only. 1 for personnal use in the GS3. 1 special sim provided by my client that is data only and has no fair use at all (true unlimited). The small GS4 is used as a hotspot when I'm at work.

I plan on using the Pyra with the special data sim card as my main device. It will create a hotspot for my laptop when I am at work.

The small GS4 mini will hold both my work and personal SIMs, mainly used as a phone and only occasionnaly as a smartphone.

The Pyra will be used for music, videos, web access, email, IM, ssh, game emulation (I also hope to get Saturn emulation at some point, but the game I play the most often is a NeoGeo game anyway), blog/wiki editing, and during travels as a companion to my camera to backup my pictures by rsync.

Given that the Pyra will have no webcam (that's a downside for me), I will have to decide if I use the phone for video conferencing or if I find a way to use the phone's camera as a webcam for the Pyra (through USB networking maybe ?).

I wanna play games with it and use it as smartphone- and laptop-replacement (even though I haven't go a laptop right now :p ).

And as a controller for my PC.

Btw, what do you wanna do with the chromecast?

I am hoping Minecraft will work; a truly portable desktop MC experience has been a wish of mine for some time.
Dude, you're in the Minecraft thread. You know it works on the Pandora already and the Pyra will definitely be even better. Your wish is already a reality! :p

I am hoping Minecraft will work; a truly portable desktop MC experience has been a wish of mine for some time.
Dude, you're in the Minecraft thread. You know it works on the Pandora already and the Pyra will definitely be even better. Your wish is already a reality! :p
Oh absolutely, and I'm grateful! But while it's definitely a "thing" right now, it's by no means playable in any great sense.

I am able to go on my server, walk around, maybe chat. I wouldn't want to go toe-to-toe with a creeper in it's current state. I guess what I'm saying is beyond what the pandora can already do that is a major draw to me, in addition to a more desktop like debian experience, HDMI, etc.

It will replace my smartphone and my tablet, so that on the road I will only have my el-cheapo dummy phone and Pyra.

I may take the Note 8 as well if i can get it to work as a graphics tablet for the Pyra.

I.e. mirror the Pyra screen, and recieve input + pressure sensitivity from the sPen.

It will be my primary development environment as I train myself in Python.

I already have a 20000mah power bank

Because my mother insisted, I also now have a 'Microsoft LifeCam HD', which is fairly compact...  so I hope it works.

I have a 1tb passport drive, but will probably get a 3tb when the Pyra is out.

I will be getting no less than 2 x 64gb sd cards, but probably a 128gb + 64gb.

I'm not so interested in Android, but am very interested in using the Pyra/Linux to become invisible online.

Honestly, I hardly ever game anymore, so I will probably only keep a collection of games from my youth for nostalgia...

I will be using the Pyra more as a mini-laptop / netbook with a focus on creativity.
The invisibility part is pretty cool. I could use the Pyra just for Piracy, use public wifi and associate it with secondary none-linked accounts.

But I don't know if I want to go rogue with the Pyra as it will be my Primary device.

If I'm home it will be my communication device. Pidgin with Jabber, IRC and all the other stuff will run on it and a free hdmi cable will put it on my main screen if it needs to.

On the way it will be used for internet browsing, a little bit of gaming. It will replace my second gen Vaio P which is allready small and light, but not... enough. :)

I will also train myself on using Linux and stuff since I'm just using Faildows atm. Once I have some skills I might try to replace the Pyra OS with something more secure OS.

Since its small I could imagine to carry it around way more often, like into the uni.

Oh and I will plaster it with stickers.

Boring compared to all the above (and the fanny pack aka bum bag in the UK) but will be purely gaming for me :)

Looking forward to Picodrive, if Notaz is good enough to release it!

Cant wait to see the emulators running on that 720p screen  B)

Boring compared to all the above (and the fanny pack aka bum bag in the UK) but will be purely gaming for me :)

Looking forward to Picodrive, if Notaz is good enough to release it!

Cant wait to see the emulators running on that 720p screen  B)
Seems as if everyone is noticing the fannypack. Around campus to me its just a necessity. I like having what  Elw3 said "alpha geek" status. I don't mind what people think because to me I am a power user.

But even more than that I feel free. Gone are the days when a computer held me back from going out. Now I can bring my online life with me and not have to compensate for the limitations and work-a-round annoying phone apps.

Probably being a bit boring just going to use it instead of a "backbreaker" laptop. Laptops are fine until you need to carry them around a lot; full sized ones after a time feel like trying to lug around a paving slab!

I'm *really* hoping I'll use the pyra more than I have my pandora. The pandora is good though I must confess I never ended up using it as much as I thought I would. Reason why? Firstly, I usually have full access to a full-blown x86 desktop machine and secondly time caught up with the pandora, for example web-browsing on the pandora can be *slow* though it really isn't all that much the fault of the pandora, more a case of showing how bloated websites have become espcecially social media websites were you can find millions of narccists finding ever more bandwidth hungry ways and chewing up more and more gigabytes of data telling everyone and their pet cat how wonderful they are x.x . Sorry that became a rant there.

I'm hoping to use the pyra much more especially as it has that HDMI output. Though I just remain concerned at how fast the pyra will be in general run-of-the-mill duties (eg web browsing, playing back music/videos, etc). To be frank a lot of the cheapo chinese arm devices I've seen when you try to run a web browser for example are all slow, quite often painfully so. Like a collection of slugs.

I would use the pyra for more day-to-day tasks and to replace a phone but there it is again -- I know I'll be unlucky and do something like drop the thing or knock it off the desk and end up with one busted pyra x.x .

So for me it'll probably just be more of a case of laptop-replacement. If I can somehow protect it properly from getting smashed it'll work as a phone replacement too. :)

ljones

@Ijones if you are that interested that much in browsing experience you may want to check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QReFwIAVzl8?feature=oembed

Remember that software is still WIP, so it can only improve.

Answering the thread I think that  the best thing about Pyra is that it does everything I want without any addon, It's a full fledged PC.

I might only use the external keyboard/mouse/screen at home, and my external gamepads.

Back