What Rpg Are You Working On?

hi all :)
it seems that some persons wanna make a FF7 'port'...so maybe it could be good to build up a team so the work will go faster...
It is just a suggestion :
some persons would have to rip GFX
some would have to edit them in order to make them compatible with gigas

see you :lol:

Ernest posted on May 3 2004 at 09:50 PM said:
Lethe posted on May 3 2004 at 07:56 PM said:
i really want conversations so i can make some kind of story.
It would definately make for time consuming work though.
your right - one of the hardest things about RPGs are the conversations, as its not a case of simply making each character say one phrase.

im not sure how its normally done but i'll just make 100 odd variables which can be named and set to any numeric value, and then you can have conversations which change depending on the value of variables.

so for example - i decide i want variable one to be "if he has master sword", then when some people talk i can make them say one thing when he doesn't have it, and another thing when he does have it.

due to the amount of text involved the conversation editor will be a PC app, which a chatboard supported gigas-editor version at a later date (once i get a chatboard).

hopefully it wont be too long until conversations are implemented :)

Last edited by a moderator:
FF7 was cool, but I think a Diablo port would be more feasable. You could make the town, and then the dungeons which you could get further and further into... Sounds much easier than making Junon Harbor and the Crater and Highwind etc...

Well, as long at TandeM doesnt mind me nicking his idea im gonna set about making the tiles and characters for a Smash Bros. RPG and then when either the PC version or the text GP32 version comes out i will start to develop it. I think ill play the game thru as Link because his sprites are the most suited to the top down view, and then each village will be contolled by a different character and the sprites and tiles will be developed to fit in with the character who runs the town. I have already made Kirby and have made Link attack sets for his whirlwind attack, so as long as whoever made the link sprite on PinkSpider and Deleted Users site doesnt mind me nicking their sprite ill be on my way.

Dont expect it n e time soon tho, got my A-level exams

look
Sprites
Hopefully theyll let me use their sprites, the mario one is soooooooooo detailed

How about an RPG in chapters... All vaguely related, but not entirely, before actually being woven together after a few have come out. Perhaps one with each of, say, as many characters as people can be bothered to do it at some point. But they all end up at the same point.

Then there's an agreement between different authors to have their characters meet/colaborate in different ways, so 3 people who've done first chapters might then get together to work on a second, with 3 chars, and a more involved story.

And then possibly have moving of characters from different strands and such - like writing them out of one thing and into another for some reason...

Possibly the most important thing for such a project, which would be both massive *and* small (massive overall, but small in its inception), would be a constant world setting, and a general consensus not to have characters getting involved in conflicting evil organisations (or, for that matter, rebel ones).

What'd be even more interesting might be to pit some characters against one another in different chapters (say once story crosses another wth the characters in that being on the opposite side to the other ones or some such). We could end up with a really nice set of small RPGs, ideally with compatible saves (of the "just rename" variety) which gradually worked up into a frenzied complex roleplaying opera.

Once I've got some gfx done (which I'll probably get by, well, waiting for others to and then using theirs - I'm a baaaaad pixel pusher; too impatient) I'm certainly up for one of the early chapters. Possibly about a monk of some description...

Tobriand posted on May 4 2004 at 07:40 PM said:
What'd be even more interesting might be to pit some characters against one another in different chapters (say once story crosses another wth the characters in that being on the opposite side to the other ones or some such). We could end up with a really nice set of small RPGs, ideally with compatible saves (of the "just rename" variety) which gradually worked up into a frenzied complex roleplaying opera.
Sounds like Sonic Adventure

N E way, i was considering something like this in my (if i can b arsed to start making it once ive finished the sprites) whereby i make say 4 different versions of the game, a Mario version, Link, Ness, and possibly kirby where each person starts in their home town and while their travelling meet other characters in their town who want to stop the new people from taking over their village

eg. If u play as Ness u travel to Hyrule in an attempt to find a your dog. but if u play as Link walkig around Hyrule he sees Ness as an intruder and fights him, so if u play as Ness u see Link as an evil enemy, and if u play as link u see Ness as an enemy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Shadow,

your game sounds great, would be neat for it to be a Gigas engine project :)

if you have time, PM me with all the functions you feel Gigas would need to make your game possible, and i'll see what i can do ;)

Oh Pirotic, in the tilesets gfx bitmap, can i fill up all the squares will different sprites of am i limited to a certain number, coz i wanna have several different themes which means a lot of different tiles

you can change any sprites on the tilesheet, including the blank ones until its 100% filled up.

I realise some people may require some more space, but instead of just making the tileset larger (therefore using more RAM) i've coded a feature in 0.6.5 where you can have multiple tilesets :) then when your editing a map you just specify what tileset that map will use, giving you theoretically infinate tiles without taking up more ram :D

what i recommend for now is making every 'theme' on a different tileset.

Right... first map of mine is done in Mappy (not imported yet, and nothing like hotspotted up) - a thieves' guild and the sewers for the town. I still need to do maps for a castle/mansion containing a cathedral, a monastary, the town itself and associated shops, possibly a monastry dungen, and maybe - just maybe - the area outside the Monastry.

First step pretty much done; many more to take...

I'm using ripped graphics from God knows what with a fair few fairly heavily modded tiles to get walls and such in. Which has worked so far...

cool, if i were you i'd export it to gigas etc to make sure its all working.

they'll appear sideways to begin with (mappy maps always do), so press SELECT and pick "FLIP MAP" and it should fix it.

also note mappy maps always have to have an equal height/width, once they've been imported into gigas however you can resize it how you wish.

any chance of a screenshot? i haven't seen a single user-made map yet :(

Well - you had...
remember the map I created for the veeeeeeeeeeeery first Gigas (about a year ago...?) ;)

http://gp32misc.fateback.com/thief1.jpg
http://gp32misc.fateback.com/thief2.jpg
http://gp32misc.fateback.com/mapsewer.jpg
http://gp32misc.fateback.com/Mapteef3.jpg

Right, there we go. The first two are of the thieves' guild running in GeePee. Unfortunately, then it crashed, and I couldn't be bothered to load it up again. So the next two are in Mappy.

The graphics are from some SNES rpg or other mostly, though a lot of the border tiles I made myself based on theirs (like where walls meet and such).

Next bit: The cathedral/shrine, since I know what I want that to look like, and its only one room... Just a darn nice room, I hope...

I am starting to consider different RPGs now so I am wondering what everyone would prefer to see:

Smash bros RPG
Shenmue remak (same story as 1&2 combined, although i'll have to go bak and play em)
A point and click (unsure of story, possible an Indiana Jones one)
Pokemon
Dragon Warrior
A zelda NES remake
or finally a GTA style game

I think you should go for a Shenmue clone, though that might be influenced by my not having played it. Just personal opinion though.

on another note, here's the Cathedral Shrine map I was talking about - its this sort of map that's why I'll probably end up needing to have heavy use of the per-map tilesets lol.
Cathedral%20Map.jpg

the pictures work when im using opera, but not IE - must be a fault at my end.

Also - how on earth did you manage to get it to play your demo in GeePee? i didnt think GeePee supported virtual SMC cards :p

looks really good, ALOT better than my demo. nice one ;) can't wait to play it

Back