GP32 sdl development

Loridan

Still Fresh
Ive done quite a bit of sdl work in the past on my linux machine. Ive finally found all the information that I need to start porting a game that Im working on to the gp32 for all to enjoy. What Im wondering at this point is how significantly different gp version of sdl is? I know that it only has the one resolution for good reason, but is that it? More specifically, is there any major difference that I should be aware of while Im coding.

By the way. The game that Im working on is a rpg dungeon exploration type game. It will be turn based on a tiled board. Ive already written the algorithm to have it randomly generate levels and the mazes that it produces are just fantastic. Also the difficulty schemes that I have arranged should make for an excellent challenge. If anyone has ever played the board games like maul of america and zombies, it will use a similar simple combat engine aka beer and pretzels. Feel free to make suggestions.

SDL-GP32 is still beta quality, and so while it is based on the same code as the PC variety, it will have quirks and/or unimplemented features. It is pretty much entirely the work of one person (Chui), and I have found him to be very helpful with enquiries at sdl_gp32@yahoo.es. English is not his first language though!

I've put a tutorial on setting up your linux toolchain at my website, if you're interested.

The game you've described sounds great! Good luck, and keep us in touch with your progress. Turn-based games on sdl are best, it's currently a bit slow for full-motion games.

Back