What Music DEFINES The Eighties?

That just looks and sounds like the Eighties...I love the Blonds in the background (All 2? or 4 of them?  How drunk am I?).   :D  

Great selection, Linux-SWAT.

Nice!  I haven't ever heard this one before.  Very primal and gritty.  Seems very quintessentially "German" to me...(from my point of geographical view)...  No doubt this band must've had some influence on future bands (like Rammstein).  Thanks for the video, Moxie.
Well, it is Einstürzende Neubauten - I'd say they influenced just about anybody who ever called themselves "Industrial" after that. The second pillar of Industrial-ish stuff (the first being Genesis P-orrige) :D

I think the first POPULAR song done in a non-English language might have been "La Bamba" by Ritchie Valens in the 1950's. Well, at least, popular in the United States. Forgive the "Ugly American" thing but I just can't really make myself think outside of our own borders.
Lol @ so many comments I just stifled.

I don't think ABBA ws mentioned yet. More definitive in Europe than USA.

Another couple hits for the Germans: "Bang Bang" by B A Robertson and "Carbonara" by Spliff.

Nice!  I haven't ever heard this one before.  Very primal and gritty.  Seems very quintessentially "German" to me...(from my point of geographical view)...  No doubt this band must've had some influence on future bands (like Rammstein).  Thanks for the video, Moxie.
Well, it is Einstürzende Neubauten - I'd say they influenced just about anybody who ever called themselves "Industrial" after that. The second pillar of Industrial-ish stuff (the first being Genesis P-orrige) :D
Ahhhh, had to "Google" that one.  It means "Collapsing New Buildings".  I must confess that I was used to a more "Western" influence in my music, and missed this one growing up.  Wasn't available or on my radar...but in the mid-late Nineties I came across Rammstein.  Was really my first listening to (non-British) music.  Was and is still good to hear other people's music....from across the globe.  Not a lot separates US (humanity)...just subtle, unimportant, perceived "differences".

Ah, yes - ABBA. To a swede, ABBA kinda sorta is so deeply internalised that you don't really think of them :) But I'd place them more in the seventies, really. Sure, they existed for a while in the eighties, too, but that was kind of only by momentum :) And Self Control by someone else than Laura Branigan - Hadn't heard that one, either.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcu24n_the-stranglers-golden-brown_music

JUST-SAY-YES-TO-DRUGS-WOB_t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Oh Noooo....what would Nancy Reagan say?

Edit1:  Nancy Reagan just called me and confessed to being high on prescription drugs, so I guess we know the answer to this question...

Now, this thread had me go looking up old swedish stuff, and I've gotten this urge to share with you all, OK? And this is most certainly not music that "defined" the eighties in sweden (for that, look back to the Lili&Susi clip I posted earlier), but rather a definite outsider that has, through the years, transformed into the most unlikely general popular singer of all times. So: Some Freddie Wadling (with various bands) from the eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yaEbtGkpmQY?feature=oembed
Enjoy.

Well, yeah, ABBA was known here, but, as pointed out...were more Seventies.  Also, they sang in English.

Heart of Glass was Blondie.  While that particular song may have been 1979, Blondie is definitely considered Eighties music...in much the same way The Knack was...even though their biggest hit, "My Sharona" was done in 1979.

Likewise, the Cars (Ric Ocasek) started in the late Seventies, but are basically considered to be Eighties.

A lot of the Eighties music was done, or inspired by non-Americans...and one American group, who also define the Eighties...actually found more fame abroad than here at home...at least at first - The Stray Cats.

I'm also reminded that someone once mentioned XTC in this thread, and it reminded me of Shreakback...their song "Nemesis" has GOT to be the only song ever to use the word "parthenogenesis" in it.

Incidentally, say what you will about Michael Jackson, but he was most definitiely a force to be reckoned with in eighties music.  As I previously opined, however, after he cut Quincy Jones loose, none of his stuff was anywhere near as good.  "Thriller" really stands alone.

For videos, I've learned the trick:

* Paste in the URL

* Switch to BBCode mode (the little switch icon in the top left corner

Your link will look something like this:

[ url = http://www.youtube.com/watch=blabla ] http://www.youtube.com/watch=blabla [ / url ]

only without the extra spaces.

* Change it to

[ media ] http://www.youtube.com/watch=blabla [ / media ]

once again, without the extra spaces (put the square braces next to the word "media")

and there you have it.

I think what Kumaki means is that Blondie are not swedish, so the link to swedes is a bit of a mystery :)

I think what Kumaki means is that Blondie are not swedish, so the link to swedes is a bit of a mystery :)
Exactly.

I also could put Falco in my fav 80's list, he's maybe only known for "Rock me Amadeus" outside of the german speaking corner of the World but...(snip)
He was also known for Der Kommissar here in the United States.

Oh, and Timster...thanks for "Hold On"  I freaking love that song.

Seriously.

I draw parallels to my own life in that one.

Darn. I tried to fix it, and messed it up even worse. Strange.

Back