What Kind of Plastic Used for Pyra's Case ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
ED, I assume you probably already know this since you work with the case supplier, but what kind of plastic is planned for the injection molding ? I'm interested to hear a little about its properties and how different it may be from what we had for the Pandora. 

On top of that, do you have any idea of the "texture" of that plastic? (how it will feel to touch?).

No idea yet, I'm not into plastic material that much myself and trust them (as they know all of Pandoras flaws) and the final decision will be made with multiple samples AFTER the mould has been done.

I know the type of plastic is important though - I already had plastic parts in my hand that were so flexible it was impossible to break out small parts even if you tried to.

Great - I imagine the prototype parts you get for the case are currently not made with the candidate materials (since they are 3D printed and not injection molded) right ? 

Exactly. Printed cases can only be used to test the dimensions physically, which is great, as you can be sure everything fits before the mould is being created.

The material test can't be done before the mould is finished though.

But as far as I know the mold dimensions are impacted by the plastic compositions so you'll probably need to choose the plastic type first before they create the mold. And I assume an industrial steel mold is another 1-2 months in the timeline, if not more, right ? 

But as far as I know the mold dimensions are impacted by the plastic compositions so you'll probably need to choose the plastic type first before they create the mold. And I assume an industrial steel mold is another 1-2 months in the timeline, if not more, right ?
No, the mold dimensions are more affected by the machine they use (different tolerances and heating), also a bit by the plastic, but not too much.

Yes, creating the steel molds will take about 2 months.

I guess this mostly matters for the surface texture of the parts, if you want it more smooth or rough or whatever. Such stuff may then be carved into the injection molding tools. I'm personaly for an non glare surface, maybe flat silk smooth that is resistant to finger prints. Everything is fine as long as the material itself is durable. But like ED already sayed, this is one of the later concerns when the design is finished and the tooling starts. :)

As the Batteries also tooks a lot thime to Deliver, i ditnt see much issues whit the Mold Build: it needs anyway until june to get the Batteries, so enought 2 Months Left until then..

This couple of Months is nothing against the 3 Yeahrs from the Pandora..

I wants the Pyra whit the Plastic of the Old Gameboy, this thing is just unbreakable..

As the Batteries also tooks a lot thime to Deliver, i ditnt see much issues whit the Mold Build: it needs anyway until june to get the Batteries, so enought 2 Months Left until then..

This couple of Months is nothing against the 3 Yeahrs from the Pandora..

I wants the Pyra whit the Plastic of the Old Gameboy, this thing is just unbreakable..
Interesting.  The plastic on those old Gameboy units was thick and 'soft'.  I was just thinking that the case should be as thin and light as possible while still giving moderate protection to the hardware.  But I'm not planning to put a Pyra in the hands of a 5 year old or use it as a hammer either.

Back