What Have You Heard From The General Public?

I have been telling all my friends about the pandora for a few months now, I have described it as a laptop thats around the size of a ds. My friends usually get annoid at me for talking about it too much, but when I showed it to them they agreed that it was awesome and are now quite jealous.

Some of my friends are now planing to buy a pandora from the 2nd batch. :D

SomeGuy99 said:
Pleng said:
Nobody's asked me about it yet, and to be honest I hope nobody ever does. The device is awesome, but having to say "It's a Pandora" out loud is crigneworthy. I'd feel like an 8 year old!

...(total irrelevant drivel)...

yea, whatever and well done for missing the point COMPLETELY! The point being Pandora sounds like a doll aimed at a young girl, not a piece of technology. If I'm asked what it is I'll probably just say it's 'one of those Chinese gaming systems for playing old games'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
The point being Pandora sounds like a doll aimed at a young girl, not a piece of technology.
Though 'Pandora' is a brand of jewelery, I think Avatar might call up connections to its world, rather than to dolls for young girls.
Aside from the people who associate it with Greek legends.

Oh, and don't forget the DS game, Professor Layton and Pandora's Box. At least, that's what it's called in Australia and Europe.

pandora05192009_1.jpg

Pleng said:
yea, whatever and well done for missing the point COMPLETELY! The point being Pandora sounds like a doll aimed at a young girl, not a piece of technology. If I'm asked what it is I'll probably just say it's 'one of those Chinese gaming systems for playing old games'.

Ah right, yeah. Well I never thought about that to be honest.

Most of what comes out my mouth is usually irrelevant drivel, sorry if I offended you.

Pleng said:

I'd play with a doll if it ran Linux. I'm just saying!

As far as my experience with the public: One woman has sometimes asks me about Pandora news. I talked with two people yesterday. When one person saw my new netbook, she mentioned how she thought I wouldn't get the Pandora. I then told her I ordered one and she got excited. The second person mentioned he had been watching videos of it. He wasn't really enthusiastic about it: we just talked about it like it was the next piece of useful technology. Now that I think of it, people who have less experience with computers seem to be most excited about it.

most people I have shown it to have been pretty underwhelmed. A couple of people think its awesome. Thats it.

Pleng said:
Nobody's asked me about it yet, and to be honest I hope nobody ever does. The device is awesome, but having to say "It's a Pandora" out loud is crigneworthy. I'd feel like an 8 year old!

Really? Personally that's what it's called and I certainly wouldn't mind telling people what it's called and I'm several decades older than 8 :)

"What is this wondrous device that I am holding, you ask? Why... it is a Dinky Palm JR by Fabulous Enterprises"

Things could have been so much worse.

The little sister of a friend asked me a few days ago the standard question "is that a DS?"
all my other friends know of the pandora and think it's quite nice, but aren't really impressed cause they don't like Linux at all
yeah i know what you think but ... whatever i am also a windows/dos user since my first PC and i like linux and love the awesome-hardcore-sexy pandora ;)
linux is a nice thing on the pandora ... but i'll could never use it on my PC cause i am a Gamer and Linux doesn't have my games / not enough games for my likings :p

by
KK

Show them it with minimenu as opposed to xfce and don't even mention Linux...

Back