"i'm Going To Have A Great Time Starting School With My Pandor

lobski

Did anyone else last year get excited at the thought of starting school with a brand new Pandora? I did. I thought I'd be taking notes on it, playing games and doing various things on it, all the while going to school.

Unfortunately, I have now started school, Pandora-less. Rather disappointing.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

XD, i expect my pandora at my Grade after the thesis (tried to have it for a FIRA test)

I'm homeschooled, and *SIGHS*, yes. I wanted to use the Pandora to bring the school along with me, much more conveniently than a laptop. I'll wait. It's worth it.

I had thought of using it to take notes in class... But I'm not sure my professors would appreciate the appearance of me playing video games while they give a lecture. :D I'd still rather walk around on campus with a Pandora in my bag than a laptop.

I originally intended to use it in the beginning of this year, and then by the middle of this year.
But since it has not arrived yet, I will just use it by the beginning of next year.

I suspect it will be quite useful to me.

Hell yes.
:/

I've still got spring and fall semester, so OP has slightly more than a year until I graduate to get this going.
For a lot of classes, I only bring my laptop, so the Pandora would have been so awesome, I could just use a cargo pocket instead of carrying a backpack.

Oh well.

I have a laptop, but the Pandora would serve very well as a back up if I don't want to lug my Macbook around. I'm getting increasingly excited since I saw that DC emulator in semi-full swing today! Woohoo

I've thought about using the touch screen to take notes, but really all I'd use it for would be listening to music, and playing games in between classes. Though I would love to be able to do those things. Does anyone know if gapless audio playback is available for ARM? I'd love to listen to my OGG, FLAC, and MP3 files on my Pandora, so I only have to carry one device around.

quick question:
Im a junior in highschool, and I don't take notes at all
Im really bad at taking notes, so they don't help me at all, but I usually do pretty well on tests anyways (not spanish tests because spanish is retarded)
will this be a problem in college?

El Jefe said:
quick question:
Im really bad at taking notes, so they don't help me at all, but I usually do pretty well on tests anyways (not spanish tests because spanish is retarded)

Probably not. A lot of what the teachers say is an explanation of what's in the books, so you would do well to read the book.
I neither take notes nor read (if I can avoid it... I have a Japanese History test coming up that needs some reading. :/) but I'm getting A - B level grades.

If you don't care enough about a class to take notes, you won't care enough to review them anyway, and a lot of teachers just post them online.
I'm trying to take notes in Japanese History since I got a 78 on the first test without notes, just by paying attention in class... Wait, scratch that, I did fill in the study guide, which is sort of like notes...

Just do whatever works, and don't play games in class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, have any of you who are planning on using it to take notes used a small keyboard device for note taking before? I've used several PDA phones with keyboards over the years and none of them are very good for notes compared to pen on paper, audio recorders, or laptops (tablet PCs especially). Thumbs (maybe just mine) are simply too slow.

One thing I might consider is trying out a foldable keyboard for typing. I had one for my old Treo a while ago that worked wonders for notes. I've already started looking, but I'm not sure which ones will work under Linux.

lulzfish said:
El Jefe said:
quick question:

Probably not. A lot of what the teachers say is an explanation of what's in the books, so you would do well to read the book.
I neither take notes nor read (if I can avoid it... I have a Japanese History test coming up that needs some reading. :/) but I'm getting A - B level grades.

If you don't care enough about a class to take notes, you won't care enough to review them anyway, and a lot of teachers just post them online.
I'm trying to take notes in Japanese History since I got a 78 on the first test without notes, just by paying attention in class... Wait, scratch that, I did fill in the study guide, which is sort of like notes...

Just do whatever works, and don't play games in class.

It definitely depends on what school you go to. I'm currently going to one of the top schools in the US, and notes are very useful in certain classes. In CS classes, all of the lecture slides are online (also often the case for science classes). In humanities classes though, reading is essential, and taking notes is often very helpful. It depends on the professor though - some have very dense and thorough lecture slides, some just use their slides as an outline. For those kinds of classes, it's often helpful to take notes "in-between" the points on the lecture slides. Marking down a slide number and line number is often useful for when you go back and read through your notes while looking at the lecture slides (assuming they're posted online).

Basically, go into all of your classes telling yourself that you need to take notes, and then from there figure out how much note-taking you actually need to do. It's always better to do too much than too little.

EDIT: I never took notes in high school, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working towards a professional certification this year and I've had a few flights and train journeys where I could have been doing some work towards that. I've got a laptop, but it is just too cumbersome. Pandora would have been useful to review and edit my work on those journeys.

And I would like to abuse some free (and legal) wifi hotspots too.

Well I wanted to show all my mates in the old age home ... but they have died in the meanwhile ...

I got excited about having a Pandora for the second term of Uni last (academic) year, which started in January this (lunar) year.

So much so that I started designing an application specifically for taking notes. Now it's questionable whether I will even have one fot the start of the second term this year (which is January next year) so I have long since given up on the application.

Back