What Do You Think The Gp3X / Caanoo 2 Should Have?

SolarLune

Hey. Just wondering what people think the next console from GPH should have. The Caanoo is nice, and I like it a lot, but there's a few things that could be fixed to make it a bit more powerful. Here are my suggestions.

• Faster CPU (above 1ghz would be nice, but only if it's cost-effective - I don't want to pay a huge amount for another handheld. I think the Caanoo's price of $150 was really affordable)
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Built-in App Store Program
  • Built-in Web Browser would be nice; not necessary if it could run a linux distribution that has a web browser already
  • More controls (another analog stick or d-pad, or a couple of extra buttons) - something to set it apart from the previous GPH handhelds
  • Backwards compatibility with Caanoo programs, if possible;
  • Capability to run Linux programs out of the box (no need to program specifically for the Caanoo), or an ability to easily put a small linux distribution on it to run programs / games; yields to backwards compatibility if both can't exist

As the title says, what else do you think the next console should have?

Ideally I'd like them to wait a good bit before making a new system. I really like my Caanoo and it's great to have a dedicated handheld for emulation. that said I'd like to see a system capable of fullspeed snes, gba and psx emulation with a good d-pad. I actually don't mind using the stick for fighting games but double tapping is a pain in the hole.

I'd like the 1ghz processor as well. Other things AMOLED (again) , capacitative
screen, size of Caanoo (wiz was too small, haven't tried the caanoo though). I
suppose a keyboard is too much to ask, but that'd be nice too. Other then
that, Wifi. Maybe slap both a d-pad and a analog stick on it, if they can be
positioned. Make the horizontal holding comfortable, so that there are
additional buttons to use for firing etc. in horizontal shooters.

Most importantly, just come out with it. I'm having a hard time resisting the
caanoo, but I'd still like to skip this generation.

klikklak said:
I'd like the 1ghz processor as well. Other things AMOLED (again) , capacitative
screen, size of Caanoo (wiz was too small, haven't tried the caanoo though). I
suppose a keyboard is too much to ask, but that'd be nice too. Other then
that, Wifi. Maybe slap both a d-pad and a analog stick on it, if they can be
positioned. Make the horizontal holding comfortable, so that there are
additional buttons to use for firing etc. in horizontal shooters.

Most importantly, just come out with it. I'm having a hard time resisting the
caanoo, but I'd still like to skip this generation.
The Caanoo's size is great as it is IMHO. I think a keyboard attachment would be cool; something that clips on at the bottom, or maybe a slide-out keypad.

I think it needs better shoulder buttons, or at least redesign them. If you drop a Caanoo on a shoulder button, the button can bend back into the Caanoo, and you need to open it up to bend it into place. I also dislike how I have to curl my fingers around to hit the part of the button closest to the centre, but I can tolerate that because I've never had any accidental presses.

a built-in wlan adapter would be awesome. It's absolute hell trying to get some adapters to work, I can't find that nice tiny Buffallo adapter anywhere in my country, and I don't want to risk having to pay customs for ordering something online from the US or the UK.

I think GPH should give nubs and a try. Well, if they get it right. Maybe a d-pad and two nubs?

I'd like a capacitive touch screen. Stylus = sadface. Also, a screen with a wider viewing angle and a wider range of backlight settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
1ghz processor
1gb internal memory
Capacitive AMOLED
Internal wifi & bluetooth
D-Pad and Analog stick, or if only one is possible then go with a D-pad
Keep the G-Sensor and rumble features
A keyboard would be nice for things like Dosbox and web surfing but I could manage without it. Besides you could just buy a mini bluetooth keyboard if the unit actually has bluetooth

Most likely none of this stuff will happen unfortunately. :( I would be happy with an upgraded Caanoo with a faster processr, more memory and a D-Pad.

1G CPU
480x320 or higher Capacitive touchscreen
both front and backsize camera
built-in wifi

nearly, a low-end smartphone config :D

SolarLune said:
Hey. Just wondering what people think the next console from GPH should have. The Caanoo is nice, and I like it a lot, but there's a few things that could be fixed to make it a bit more powerful. Here are my suggestions.

• Faster CPU (above 1ghz would be nice, but only if it's cost-effective - I don't want to pay a huge amount for another handheld. I think the Caanoo's price of $150 was really affordable)
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Built-in App Store Program
  • Built-in Web Browser would be nice; not necessary if it could run a linux distribution that has a web browser already
  • More controls (another analog stick or d-pad, or a couple of extra buttons) - something to set it apart from the previous GPH handhelds
  • Backwards compatibility with Caanoo programs, if possible;
  • Capability to run Linux programs out of the box (no need to program specifically for the Caanoo), or an ability to easily put a small linux distribution on it to run programs / games; yields to backwards compatibility if both can't exist

As the title says, what else do you think the next console should have?
GPH would never give us what we want. They have never done it in the past and never will in the future.

They are getting closer and closer - I bought a GP2X F-200, and the Caanoo is leaps and bounds ahead of that - it feels nice (the F-200 felt kinda boxy and large in my hands. The Caanoo is smaller and very comfortable). Also, the Caanoo has a nice software library already - the emulators are working nicely, and there are some home-made games that are good (Paper Wars looks very interesting). GPH is getting more in-touch with its community, especially with its Facebook page, where people can directly get in touch with GPH to at least communicate their ideas.

Just built-in Wi-fi, an additional D-pad, backwards compatiblity (and / or linux distribution capability), and a faster CPU would probably be worth investment of $200 or so to me. I would personally lean toward showing it off sometime next year, with a release date of early 2013 - three years seems like a nice amount of time.

EDIT: If it were backwards compatible, people would buy it, but also, development wouldn't be so stagnant anymore since either development for the Caanoo or the new console would be feasible with one deployment process.

SML said:
A 2016 release date.

+1 on this comment - sick of keep buy newer versions, the caanoo has tons of life in it yet,
I got a gp2x F100 with not a scracth on it as I never played it because they messed up on the battery life

Long live the Cannoo, and the Wiz for that matter even though I dont own a Wiz lol

ruffnutts ;)

ruffnutts said:
SML said:
A 2016 release date.

+1 on this comment - sick of keep buy newer versions, the caanoo has tons of life in it yet,
I got a gp2x F100 with not a scracth on it as I never played it because they messed up on the battery life

Long live the Cannoo, and the Wiz for that matter even though I dont own a Wiz lol

ruffnutts ;)

Yeah, I agree with you guys. The Caanoo's not a perfect console but the Linux handheld market is way too crowded now, we'd be much better off if they'd just let these things mature.

I wouldn't mine a "Caanoo Mk. II" with the same specs but with the screen issues fixed though, and maybe a better battery.

I guess you're right about the release date... Still, improvements to the current Caanoo would be welcome - a mark II might get people to get in on the action.

All I really want from GPH is a better media playback, and a game-maker-like program that I can make stuff easier for.
(I just don't have the time to learn code these days)

Better CPU and GPU are a given as well. XD

... a screen thats not blocked by the frame around it..... :p
and id be VERY happy

The Caanoo is pretty perfect methinks. Built in wifi, amoled and an appstore on the console is really all that's missing. I would prefer not to have a capacitive touchscreen, but rather a better quality resistive (or any other tech allowing a stylus). It has more accuracy, and i already have a ton of "finger-games" on my phone. I'd like to see some stylus games.

/Uni

Would be cool if they could make a CAANOO like this:

- 1GHz CPU (like an OMAP4)
- Faster GPU
- maybe a larger RAM
- hires widescreen AMOLED (something with at least 480px hight)
- resistive touchscreen
- at least one nub AND a d-pad
- speakers at the top (not the back)
- a real volume slider
- if it could be done put a keyboard under the screen, and let the screen slide out (something like current smartphones have)
- a userfriendly GUI
- CAANOO backwards compaibiltity
- at least builtin wifi / bluetooth
- longer battery life with an exchangeble battery
- not these bad mistakes they made with the previous consoles (tearing, framed screen, ...)

I must have forgotten something?

Ah yes the volume slider I would really like to see go. Replaced with digital buttons for a global volume control. It is far too easy to accidentally move the slider. But I know many people like the slider. That is why the pandora got one.

I think the reality is that there is no need for an upgrade. Outside of emulators, even the gp32 has never really been pushed and most games for the caanoo could run well on the wiz or gp2x and many on the gp32. If there was a new system, I think it should add something entirely new like much higher screen res, hardware 3d. The only game system related to this website that has really given us anything new is the Pandora and I think the price point is entirely too high. With gamepark,each new system was only slightly more powerful than the old one and didn't really add anything new. They still have the same screen size and resolution for example. The only thing they increased in each system was ram and slight processing increases. If gamepark is going to upgrade yet again, I think it should compete with the Pandora and not the caanoo.

Chris

Back