Is There Anything Coming Out To Replace/compete With The Caanoo?

darklight1138

I love the device, but there is still plenty of room for improvements. I understand GPH may be pulling a Sega now and might not be making hardware anymore, which is a shame. I was hoping for a "Caanoo 2.0" which would include:
-Non bezel-obscured screen, or larger Droid phone type display
-Slide out control pad (similar to PSP Go) (and would still retain a control pad and two buttons beside the screen for vertical playing of games)
-Front mounted speakers
-Built in bluetooth and Wifi
-Dedicated TV-Out port with single jack and HDMI out
-Built in software package including internet browser, office apps, organizer functions, messenger programs, etc.
-Dual USB ports and dual memory slots
-Of course, more powerful hardware and more memory

The Bluetooth could function to connect wireless controllers as well as a remote (the unit would double as a full fledged media player/game console) so that the device could be connected to a TV and high quality graphics and video could be displayed, controlled with a bluetooth remote control. Also, you could connect a keyboard and mouse to the device and output programs (such as a Word Processor) or the internet to the television.

Yeah, it's similar to the Pandora but hopefully cost a lot less.

It's just an idea. But I was mainly wondering if we can expect any new handheld emulators to come out soon to replace the Caanoo.

I think the Caanoo hardware is quite good already. The only improvements I would really want are to fix the screen, a more powerful processor for psx emulation, and perhaps some more durable components.

I was very surprised at much I enjoy my Caanoo, and I think perfecting the device would be a more useful (and realistic) upgrade than a total revamp with many new features.

As you said, many of the things you are looking for are already available in the Pandora.

We can always dream though, I suppose :D

a caanoo with a proper bezel and a proper dpad.
Better processor? yes, but keeping it compatible with actual caanoo apps.
that would do it for me.

The Xperia Play is actually getting down to reasonable price levels where I live so I think I'll probably buy that if I ever need to replace my caanoo.

I never understood the demands for bluetooth or wifi on such a device. With the screen resolution being what it is, it would be worthless for browsing the internet. The only use I see wifi having is lan play, but how many games support that that fit on this type of device?

No, just gimme a better bezel & a faster CPU/GPU. If you really are going to go 'Internet Ready', then also increase the screen with an inch and up the resolution by a factor of 3.

Tons of people use mobile phones to surf the net and many have smaller screens than the Caanoo, Heck I use my Wiz to read books, comics and pdf's all the time between games at the coffee shop and would like to be able to surf the web on it as well.. The size doesn't bother me..

sebt3 said:
LTStone said:
The size doesn't bother me..
So you're not a girl.... ok -> []

:lol:

Many site these days have separate versions for handheld devices like phones, so I guess surfing on the Caannoo wouldn't be terrible, just not ideal.

But then again, I already have a phone for that. My Caanoo is for games :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The SDHC card slot definitely has its uses, but I'd like to see onboard memory for the apps/data I access on the Caanoo all the time.

Back