What Did You Think About the Compo ?

What was your overall opinion of the Compo ?

• Very positive

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Positive

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • So-so

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Negative

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Very Negative

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Well you can use the software up to the point of actually 3D printing something.
The title said "3D Printer Driver", the video you provided ptitSeb in the thread contained zero user interaction.
As for converting the file to G-Code or whatever, I wouldn't be able to validate.

So the only way I could vote for this is on concept. Like I said before, maybe that's okay for a "New Use", but wasn't what I did here.

And you can save your work and print when you have access to a 3d printer. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
The "best improvement" category was biased because apps were all from different categories.

I knew i'd lost from the start because i obviously can't compete with a game or any multimedia app on a large horizon user poll.

I prefer the classic 3 points for 1st vote, 2 points for 2nd and 1 for third.

The difference of votes number in different categories is weird.

No DSP app category. That's a shame.

Other than that, the compo was ok, and with great entries !

Compo was very fine, with great entries (and prices are greats).

For the voting, hum, why not the 3-2-1, but I'm ok with the current vote.

The only subject is the "Significant Improvment" that is very difficult. I guess the initial aim was to promote some DSP code in a an app or something like that, but in fact it has more or less switched to something like a disguise Pandy Award...

So I think I would have prefer the 4th category of the compo to be "Pandy Award" type (with may be just 3 winner in different categories instead of 1st, 2nd, 3rd), and the 3 other categories as-is.

By the look of things it was a pretty good competition, with some excellent games and apps coming to Pandora as a result. Well done to the winners, and all those that took the time to do something for it.

I too would have preferred the 3/2/1 option to vote.

Promotion was indeed lacking, but tbf I wonder how trying to push this comp elsewhere would have made the outcome any different. The devs most likely to enter this comp visit this site regularly anyway. I can't remember now, but were there any entries from previously unknown devs? It wouldn't hurt to push a bit further next time though - there are lots of indie sites, including those that used to or continue to push details of new GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo etc. software.

While I really dislike the real Oscars/Emmys/BAFTAs etc (why should people be further rewarded for doing their highly paid job right?) I do like the idea of the "Pandora Oscars" type thing, However, I'd be concerned that games released early in the year may well be forgotten by the end of it - even if they were great at the time of release. I presume that a single poll wouldn't be able to track every entry, so they'd have to be split (perhaps into months first), then the winner of each month goes through into a grand poll at the end of the year? Then there's the problem about whether polls should only include new games/apps or would updates be allowed? What if a game/app updated every month? Is it also fair to include emulators/ports/new games against each other? The logistics could be really tricky and tactical (or cheat) voting could be a serious issue. Of course there are several options - rating of apps on Repo, Selection committee etc. etc, but they all have a number of faults. It might be tricky, but could be great for devs :)

Whoever organizes that would have their work cut out for them. Or maybe not. Who knows.

However, I'd be concerned that games released early in the year may well be forgotten by the end of it - even if they were great at the time of release.
I am quite sure Microbes would still win such an Oscar. There is the trick, an application/game so good famous even after one year! :D

Microbes is indeed an excellent game, but can you recall all of the other games from just the competition last year (12 months ago)?

No DSP app category. That's a shame.
Well honestly even bsp said he would not be on time to make a DSP-related entry, so I did not expect that the DSP would be used by many competitors, and indeed nobody used it so far for any application, whether it was in the competition or out. That's a shame, though.  

What i liked was the community involvement. Wb's entries especially had great feedback and tied together the divide between user and developer.

More communication on what needs doing would be nice. Individual pages for each entry works, but its not perfect. I would rather see a task approach with things to do and how, mabye on the wiki.

For example one could request translations, graphics, 3d models, help with bugs, testing etc.

Microbes is indeed an excellent game, but can you recall all of the other games from just the competition last year (12 months ago)?
No, but I didn't own a pandora in that time, so ask someone else. ;)

What i liked was the community involvement. Wb's entries especially had great feedback and tied together the divide between user and developer.
And where was this "community involvement" except in _wb_'s entries? I didn't see such a thing.
For example one could request translations, graphics, 3d models, help with bugs, testing etc.
I played around with translations with Puzzletube. It is a funny feature, but in fact I don't think, that it is very needed. Furthermore I think the #openpandora channel in freenode is a much better place to search for testers than a wiki page. ;)

I couldn't recall any off the top of my head (Not even Microbes if you hadn't have said it). However, looking back, there were quite a few releases, most of the were pretty good.
In fact, I remember liking Aquaventure the most. I would very much be interested in a sequel :)

And where was this "community involvement" except in _wb_'s entries? I didn't see such a thing.
Well, IIRC ED provided sound FX, and a few members created levels. I don't know how much made it into the final release though

In fact, I remember liking Aquaventure the most. I would very much be interested in a sequel :)
It's been a long hard year for me, but I'm finally getting things together, so maybe later this year :)

DinoDefense first though :D
Just a sidenote, any chance of a "help I'm stuck" page for Aquaventure? I keep meaning to ask about my cuurent level I've been stuck on for ages - but I keep forgetting the level names...

It's been a long hard year for me, but I'm finally getting things together, so maybe later this year :)

DinoDefense first though :D
Just a sidenote, any chance of a "help I'm stuck" page for Aquaventure? I keep meaning to ask about my cuurent level I've been stuck on for ages - but I keep forgetting the level names...
Well, fire it up and let me know the level number and I'll give some hints :)

[EDIT] Please post your answer in the AquaVenture thread. It means that others can find it if they need info and it stops this thread going too far off-topic.

Well, IIRC ED provided sound FX, and a few members created levels. I don't know how much made it into the final release though
 except in _wb_'s entries :)
How much is in the final release isnt the point i am trying to make. Sometimes the arrows point towards the final product rather than they come in from different sources.

undexym had huge amounts of feedback on his game, and he presented it at a very early stage.

On the contrary the suprise factor of notaz project was also nice, while not being a compo entry in the end, there are many ways to go about something.

Edit: Community involvement doesnt end with the compo being over. I was plesantly suprised to see crow_riots Flashenv has got an entry and http://pandorawiki.org/Flashenv_Compatibility_List on the wiki.

Many thanks for eki for running such a cool compo and putting down so much work. :)

I thought you did a great job. Especially for a one man team who was also competing. We'll just have to make sure we recruit you help for the next one.

On the note of the significant improvement category: would it perhaps be a good idea to simply include significant improvement entries in the standard categories? Significantly improved port would simply be entered in the ported game category. Improvements to original games could be entered in the original game category. Perhaps you could put down a rule that improvement entries can not have won previous competitions to prevent a highly regarded game from being sweeping multiple competitions.

Back