What Can We Expect?

CandidStan

I'm tired of coming on this board and asking a question about the features of the Pandora, only to be disappointed with what I get as an answer. What I'm saying is give us a general idea of what some of us can expect out of the Pandora. I'd like to have someone compare it to what the PSP homebrew scene has become, and how it could possibly rival and destroy the PSP scene. For some of us, at least me anyways, I like to read, see, touch, experience what a product feels like before I throw my money at a sales person or a website. Basically I would like some sort of (insert here) that could demo the Pandora without actually physically handling it; whether it be a flash application, a quick time 3D view of the Pandora, or a simple product walk through video on Youtube by one of the devs. I do realize that the Pandora isn't finished, nor has a final GUI been decided. However I'm hoping this message of having some sort of online demo of the unit is applied when ever these resources become available.

-Thanks for reading this,
CandidStan.

Expect a fully-functional UMPC/PDA with gaming controls.

I'm not sure how to answer you exactly. It's like buying a computer and asking "what can I expect"... it depends on what you put on it, ya know? A very large number of programs will be available right off the bat or will be easily ported, so there's simply too much stuff to list. It's easier to ask if a given program will run or not, for which you can use this flowchart:
http://www.gliffy.com/publish/1448256/

Per the Pandora wiki: "Most tasks you can do on a regular PC will be possible on Pandora to some extent"

Once the Pandora is actually out, you'll be able to get a better idea by seeing which programs are available on the Pandora File Archive.

Since you can't throw money at a sales person or a web site yet I would think it being awfully premature for such a thing, first product, then product walk through, then sales. For some odd reason I just don't get to touch very much of what I buy online.

A bulky device with bloat controls that will fly away from your hands when you will try play Q3 port (pandora's only game) on it's analog nubs.

Ouch, I just realized where I posted this, could I get a mod to move this to general? Thanks.

Sphinxter said:
Since you can't throw money at a sales person or a web site yet I would think it being awfully premature for such a thing, first product, then product walk through, then sales. For some odd reason I just don't get to touch very much of what I buy online.
If you actually took that word for word, I'm sorry to say but you didn't get what I was saying. I'm simply looking for an online demonstration model, Basically, I'll say I need to experience it in some way, shape, or form before I slam my money down on the counter, or send it off into the interwebs.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
A bulky device with bloat controls that will fly away from your hands when you will try play Q3 port (pandora's only game) on it's analog nubs.
Hahahaha, people digging them out of the wall like wii controllers with defective wrist straps. b-)

Was just kidding about the touch thing, still think it's way too early for such a demo being there's no counter to throw your money on yet, don't even have a co. name to put on that check.

Here's a good measure for getting an idea of what the Pandora will be like. Read all the posts in this forum written by Craigix, MWeston, Squidge, Evil Dragon, etc. that specifically have to do with features or capabilities of the Pandora. That should give you a pretty damn good idea.

And as far as the PSP Homebrew scene is concerned, I believe that the PSP homebrew scene will be the same quality as it has always been. (Devs and n00bs (oh, sorry... users)) The Pandora's scene should be comparable with how the GP2X and the GP32 scenes were, seeing as how it's the same community driving it. Obviously whatever scene the adoptive community is will be the scene a new device will most likely resemble.

-God Ginrai

I have to echo Esn's remark that it "depends what you put on it." If you're talking specifics, however, right now it's nearly all speculation. We know a couple of the major applications that will certainly be on the Pandora (PSX emulator, for example) and a few that are almost 100% certain (Firefox, Quake3, etc.), but other than that, it's anyone's guess. Regarding homebrew, the gp2x homebrew scene is probably the best way to get a general idea of what people will come up with, seeing as how many gp2x devs will develop for the Pandora. However, the Pandora is a much more powerful system so there is the potential for more complex games.

Based on your self-description, perhaps you would be better off not preordering the Pandora and waiting a bit after it's released so you can see how the homebrew scene develops before buying one. As for me, I'm more of a dive in headfirst type of person, and tend to be impressed more by hardware than software, so I'm definitely preordering. To each his own.

I would like to second the request for a user-controllable 3D view of the Pandora, and an online demo of the default GUI would be nice, but that doesn't seem necessary or even possible (the demo of the GUI, that is) right now. Hopefully we'll hear more information about specific applications from people who have the early version of the Pandora in the near future. I believe Craig has also promised more videos.

A.... device with... controls... (and) analog nubs.

Quasist is absolutely right, this device *does* have analog nubs.

I can't believe your posting this either, there are hundreds of posts of endless speculation every day along with some hard facts from Craig et al.

Why not just wait and see what it's like when it comes out.

It's not going to destroy the PSP scene, they're everywhere on the high street, and have loads of commercial games.

Success isn't just about technical superiority, the PSP has the backing of a large corporation and marketting budget. Your average person in the street won't even have heard of the Pandora.

I echo allot of the sediments here. ultimately it's depends on what you want to do with it. There goals maybe different from your needs, however that's the beauty of working with an open platform such as this (and you don't have to go through hoops to get what you need) thus there is almost always going to be someone who shares your needs and has the ability to do something about it. The PSP in it's current state is on it's last legs, and there will be something done about that from Sony soon enough, whether we'll find that out in about eight hours from now, we'll see when we get there.

CandidStan said:
I'm tired of coming on this board and asking a question about the features of the Pandora, only to be disappointed with what I get as an answer.
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Then don't do that."

Do you think that somebody here has a fully functioning Pandora with a complete UI and a full collection of software and they just didn't mention it? If you're not happy with speculation and conjecture, then stop asking questions that nobody has the answer to yet.

chad78 said:
Esn said:
It's easier to ask if a given program will run or not, for which you can use this flowchart:
http://www.gliffy.com/publish/1448256/

Um that chart misses one very *HUGE* segment of what the Pandora will be used to do.

<snip - Mod>

Emulated games and apps don't fit in your flowchart.

Gruso said:
But emulators do.
Right, exactly. It's not actually my chart; another user on these forums made it not long ago, but I forget who. It's a pretty useful chart which is linked on the Pandora Wiki.

If you want a "virtual" version of the Pandora, your best bet is probably to wait until some reviews and user-made Youtube videos begin appearing. I doubt that the Pandora team is going to make a "virtual" online version of their system, as that would not be very easy to do (read: costly), and it would be easier to just link to reviews once they appear...

CandidStan said:
I'm tired of coming on this board and asking a question about the features of the Pandora, only to be disappointed with what I get as an answer. What I'm saying is give us a general idea of what some of us can expect out of the Pandora. I'd like to have someone compare it to what the PSP homebrew scene has become, and how it could possibly rival and destroy the PSP scene. For some of us, at least me anyways, I like to read, see, touch, experience what a product feels like before I throw my money at a sales person or a website. Basically I would like some sort of (insert here) that could demo the Pandora without actually physically handling it; whether it be a flash application, a quick time 3D view of the Pandora, or a simple product walk through video on Youtube by one of the devs. I do realize that the Pandora isn't finished, nor has a final GUI been decided. However I'm hoping this message of having some sort of online demo of the unit is applied when ever these resources become available.

-Thanks for reading this,
CandidStan.

That goes for Chip

Do you think that somebody here has a fully functioning Pandora with a complete UI and a full collection of software and they just didn't mention it?

You should try reading my whole post and remember what points to attack me on.

BigTruck said:
Based on your self-description, perhaps you would be better off not preordering the Pandora and waiting a bit after it's released so you can see how the homebrew scene develops before buying one.
That has all changed with the new demo video that was just released.

My average day with a Pandora will be as follows:

In the morning, I wake up and unplug the Pandora from the wall charger. (Nightly recharges keep it going through the entire day.) I turn on something similar to Google Reader and read up on the latest news and happenings as the day winds up.

As I ride to work, I might catch up on a podcast or two, depending on the length. Once I'm at work, I'll use it as a free cellphone, either through Gizmo's services or through a standard SIP connection to an Asterik server I'll have set up and plugged into my phone line at home. Once everything is running, I'll turn on my music library (which syncs/streams from a service like MediaMaster or my home computer) and close the lid.

Once at home, I generally use my desktop for e-mail and IM, but there's always the event that I might be out and about. In that case, I'll have the Pandora by my side at all times, fully loaded with PIM software. I might stop by a Starbucks or other T-Mobile Hotspot location to relax. I might pull open a savestate of a game like Wipeout while I wait in long lines. At least three times a week I'll definitely update my calendar with new events, which will automatically sync the next time my Pandora is near a Wifi location.

If I decide to go ahead with my idea, I'll use a Sprint, Verizon, Nextel, or T-Mobile Wireless Broadband USB stick to keep my Pandora online and kicking at all times, effectively turning it into a mobile communication device (IM and cell-phone to name a few).

On some days, I meet up with friends to talk about life, politics, and programming. Since I'll have my Pandora on me, movie+game nights are as simple as a few wires here and there.

Mobile entertainment can come in handy elsewhere, of course, but I find it more useful when I've sat down to spend some quality time enjoying it. It will effectively replace my aging desktop in this aspect more than anything else: gaming will be a breeze and an absolute joy with the Pandora's controls.

Lastly, when I'm relaxing in bed, I might chat, play an Interactive Fiction game, read an electronic book (found a whole collection of really good books in PDF form online), or otherwise generally enjoy the evening. :p

There are many other odd-ball situations that pop up which can make the Pandora twice as useful. A few simple wants are looking up something real quick, or keeping notes on something, or needing to access my home computer for a file, etc.

In short, it will become part of my daily schedule. There is no other reason why I am so excited about the Pandora. :)

I'd like to note that most uses I've given are UMPC uses, but that gaming will nonetheless be more dominant than the rest. It's just that gaming has been discussed to the uttermost, so there isn't a lot to say. :p

javaJake said:
I'd like to note that most uses I've given are UMPC uses, but that gaming will nonetheless be more dominant than the rest. It's just that gaming has been discussed to the uttermost, so there isn't a lot to say. :p
I'd like to note that this double post could have been avoided by editing your post so that it showed up at the bottom of the post.

-God Ginrai

Back