What Are Your Views On "the Scene"?

oh no!!! He's clearly had some sort of medical emergency. He needs help!

:D

edit: you say the odd rom or two, does that mean if I owned GOODsnes AND GOODgen there would be a difference?

oh no!!! He's clearly had some sort of medical emergency. He needs help!

:D

edit: you say the odd rom or two, does that mean if I owned GOODsnes AND GOODgen there would be a difference?
No not really as long as you aren't purely living off downloads (and hence not giving a penny to any software company) then it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...Well, I own all three major current consoles. I haven't pirated any games (yet... :ph34r: )so I guess I conntribute plenty :p

I am considering soft-modding my xbox though...

Some warez guys did this to the guys who used to maintain teambg a couple of times and now they have permenantly closed www.teambg.com
Topsites are usually quite honourable... warez guys try to be 'honourable' in some weird way but not screwing with other people's computers. Compare with spammers who will routinely harvest a bunch of 'zombie pcs' (pcs loaded with spyware) to do their mailing for them.

However at the distributor end not everyone has a few spare servers lying around, and often cracked office computers are used for XDCCs. The vast majority nowadays are apparently on wireless networks that are unprotected so you can just wardrive around to do it. Plus they're on business connections that are pretty vast, and usually not maintained much so they can keep going for a while until someone finds out.

As for how much of an issue I have with it... those connections aren't usually used much, but still, unwarranted access into other people's machines is still not kosher for me.

Actually, I wasn't aware of that. TBH hacking is a bit of a grey area in my view, as long as no damage is caused (financially, privacy etc) then I'm ok with it. But to hack a companies computers and f**ck them up is not acceptable. Most of the warez that I get are post release rips (usually by quite a while to) which would probably mean that at least one person has bought it in the first place. And as hanz says I wouldn't buy what I download anyway because I can't afford to, so the record label suffers no real loss.

How many people share stuff they get, TBH I am quite a leech, how bout anyone else?

People use Warez because we want more than we can afford - it's IMO (and in my experience) nothing to do with being a cheapo, I just do not have the money to pay for the extent of my consumption (I buy what I think is best and download what I don't buy).

But really Rico and any mod already know that lots of people here use warez (probably about 80%). The weird thing is that the whole community seems to completely deny it :blink: .
I mean I can understand not posting ROM links and so on, as this would incriminate Hando if we did this, but having to deny we have a small ammount of warez etc... is a little silly.
Somebody put me straight.

Well, with me tbh I think it's related to all of those stories I see on the news of government busting into people's homes and taking their computers away. That gets me thinking, well, theoretically they could find my email from my account on this forum, then they'd know my service provider, then they could find out my address. The chance of this happening of course is practically zero, but I like to stay on the safe side and not talk about warez to avoid even THAT miniscule chance. :rolleyes:

Just for the record, the only illegal thing I download off the internet is 10-15 year-old games. ;) I don't download Mp3s or movies or anything... largely because most of the movies and music that I listen to can't be found for download over the internet. Plus, I don't have the heart to rip off somebody who'll only be selling a few hundred copies or less anyway. :unsure:

The weird thing is that the whole community seems to completely deny it :blink: .
I mean I can understand not posting ROM links and so on, as this would incriminate Hando if we did this, but having to deny we have a small ammount of warez etc... is a little silly.
If you look at most major forums you will find that ALL discussion of warez isn't allowed. In fact, it's generally all illegal activities. We are not quite that strict but talking about what you've pirated sets us on a pretty bad path that could degenerate the forums to discussing new movie leaks or the best edonkey hash sites. Which might get us in trouble, but also, sets the tone a little lower than I think most of the mods would be happy with.

I only download warez when I'm bored, I can't remember the last time I downloaded anything, but if I need it bad and it costs a lotta money, theres no chance I'll buy it.

warez are now a complete way of life for me.

i never even purchased CDs before i began downloading, way back when in about september 2000. i got a minidisc player/recorder for my birthday and after exhausting my mates supplies of CDs i turned to the net.

when i got broadband my taste upped along with the speed and i was d/l games, apps, films, everything.

after a few letters from the MPAA i stopped getting films, and once i'd got hold of all the albums i wanted naturally my music downloading slowed. now i get the odd game but mostly its just albums that i d/l.

morally i can see that the whole warez thing is bad, but from my own standpoint i've been doing it for years and afaik the whole industry hasn't collapsed in on itself, whilst ofcoure this is no justification for stealing, psychologically the physically removal of the perpetrator from the crime means that for the leechers like myself, which are ultimately the biggest problem for the man, will find it hard to quit.

How many people share stuff they get, TBH I am quite a leech, how bout anyone else?
I'm a leecher right now - but I won't be once I get broadband I won't be. :p

Plus, I don't have the heart to rip off somebody who'll only be selling a few hundred copies or less anyway.
Yes I agree, As for MP3's I don't download more than a couple of tracks per artist, if I like the music then I buy it, if not - it just fills up my hard drive :lol: . As most of the music I listen to comes from Independent Artists I consider it very bad taste to never buy their music.

I only download warez when I'm bored
lol...
Yeah I sometimes find myself downloading stuff - just to delete it a day later.
:lol:

after a few letters from the MPAA i stopped getting films, and once i'd got hold of all the albums i wanted naturally my music downloading slowed. now i get the odd game but mostly its just albums that i d/l.
*cough*protowall*cough*

warez are now a complete way of life for me.
Yikes that doesn't sound good.
You don't buy ANY CD's (think of the bands/children)?

Actually, I wasn't aware of that. TBH hacking is a bit of a grey area in my view, as long as no damage is caused (financially, privacy etc) then I'm ok with it.
Of course damage is caused, I think it is only small warez groups which do it as the others have large sums of money donated to them.

If you look at most major forums you will find that ALL discussion of warez isn't allowed. In fact, it's generally all illegal activities. We are not quite that strict but talking about what you've pirated sets us on a pretty bad path that could degenerate the forums to discussing new movie leaks or the best edonkey hash sites.
Yeah, but people should at least be able to admit to it (free speech), that arguement is a bit like saying that just because somebody smokes cannabis they are going to become heroin addicts when they are older ("slippery slope" flaw).
You can still keep the rule that people aren't allowed to link to o actively discuss ways of circumventing copyright publicly.

That gets me thinking, well, theoretically they could find my email from my account on this forum, then they'd know my service provider, then they could find out my address.
I believe unless you run a topsite or dumpsite they are unlikely to go tot that much trouble. (But I can be a bit paranoid like that too).

I think the people who downloaded the 'band aid 20' song are a bunch of minges. i thought the song sucked but i still bought it cos the money went to charity

if you didnt like the song why didnt you just give the money to charity instead dumbass?????

coz id rather be in a record store than in charity shops or in front of my pc setting up a paypal account or summit, dumbass!. too much bother.
plus that way i got all of my friends the same christmas gift in the same place, yeah im bad :p

PS: and get your cock off the question mark key, wanker <_<

PPS: post #2

|
|Did i touch a gimpy nerve there?
|
\ /

To me warez is a way of seeing what i want to buy. I cant be bothered much now but i used to download tons of mp3s. With some1 like me i would say warez helped the companies (lol, bold statement).

Take this for example: I see a song on tv i think is cool, so i download it. Then i download a few more tracks from that artist and if there all pretty good ill end up going out and buying the album itself.

I used to do this quite alot so i could decide what to buy i think warez can be good in some ways.

The main other way i use warez is roms (4 my gp32_console). Im not trying to say roms are right but all the games are at least 8 or 9 years old and i do have a snes, megadrive etc sat in front of my tv.

Anyone else use warez for preview purposes to decide what to buy, or is it just me? :D

Back