What are you developing?

I'm working on a little game in C with SDL. I'm quite new to programming, so it's nothing fancy.

It' very simple, you just have to get to the end of the level while avoiding enemies.

It works, but I need to add some kind of level managment, a main menu, etc and I want to add online highscores, a level editor and maybe some other stuff.

Well, I can't really tell what I'll be thinking that will be useful to create for the Pandora once I'll get mine, but so far I've begun working on these two things:

A futuristic racer, much like the "Wipeout" and "F-Zero" series of games, with an unusual control scheme where you're using the nubs to control the thrust of two jet engines, on the left and right side of your racer, respectively. As of yet, there's no running version since I don't like implementing blindly for a device I don't have, but I like the idea a lot and throughout the year I've been working on the concept occasionally. So this is what I'm /currently/ working on, but, well... that might change.

Before http://apps.openpandora.org/ was launched I had been working on an entertainment package manager which I now have stopped working on. I might, however, continue development once I get my Pandora, because as of now I do not know of any other solution that delivers something similar to the idea behind "beauty-get" (which is to give an experience that feels like a locally installed game: fun and easy to use with no perceivable delays caused by loading from the Internet). I guess this depends on how the official Appstore frontend will (not?) evolve, but currently I can't make any final decisions about this.

Any comments regarding these two things are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably won't be starting development until my Pandora actually arrives (I intend to program straight on the Pandora on the train to work!), but I plan to port over my little PSP games:

• Electris, a falling block puzzle game
  • Reactor, a circular variation on breakout/bubble games (designed for analog nubs)
  • Bumper Harvest, my Peggle knockoff tribute

Way back, I was hoping for a port of LuaPlayer so games like this wouldn't need porting; but there's so much room for improvement in all these that rewriting them should encourage me to finish them off better.

I've got lots of other stuff planned, but I've learned not to start mouthing off about half-baked ideas. :)

I'm currently working on an Arcomage clone (that incredible addictive card game you could play in taverns in Might and Magic 7 & 8) done in C with Clutter, so it is already compatible with OpenGL ES. Things will be modular, you will be able to create own cardsets with AngelScript (similar to C++) which may also replace most of the game's textures to make e.g. a totally different looking and very complex cardset with a Star Trek theme or something similar.

It is still far from being finished and not even playable in singleplayer, yet. I have already created replacements for most of the proprietary textures, currently only the pictures of the cards from the original cardsets are left.

Take a look

I'm currently working on an Arcomage clone (that incredible addictive card game you could play in taverns in Might and Magic 7 & 8) done in C with Clutter, so it is already compatible with OpenGL ES. Things will be modular, you will be able to create own cardsets with AngelScript (similar to C++) which may also replace most of the game's textures to make e.g. a totally different looking and very complex cardset with a Star Trek theme or something similar.

It is still far from being finished and not even playable in singleplayer, yet. I have already created replacements for most of the proprietary textures, currently only the pictures of the cards from the original cardsets are left.

Take a look

Ooooh Arcomage, completely forgot about that! i remember there were times i would only play M&M to run to the nearest tavern and play a game.

You are talking about single player, can i assume you are also working on AI then? would be great :D

Very much looking forward to this!!

Cheers,

MarkoeZ

You are talking about single player, can i assume you are also working on AI then? would be great :D
Well, due to the modularity I can't create a generic AI, so I can only include a simple algorithm playing random cards (actually, that works quite well. Some of my first attempts showed that it often really looks like Fortuna is trying to backstab you :blink: ). Instead it will be possible to include scripted ones in the cardsets. I can try to code a few for the original cardset but that has currently a lower priority until everything else is running. I also have some plans for making some kind of an editor for creating own cardsets.

I'm working on a port of my game creation tool, Jameter.

I don't have my Pandora yet but I've tried it out on a Beagleboard, which is as close as I can get in terms of hardware.

Although it's a bit slow with just a straight recompile, I reckon I can speed it up with a few changes.

In the realm of possibilities...

mmu.jpg

I'm working on a port of my game creation tool, Jameter.
Looks pretty cool, I'll certainly try it out when it's available.

Funny I was only just talking about LuaPlayer... Jameter could very nearly be used as a drop-in replacement! (Maybe the odd search/replace for function names, etc...)

Here's a couple of screenshots from the game I mentioned earlier. Note that the graphics are placeholders drawn by yours truly, we might want a pixel artist to contribute nicer ones at some point. The first screenshot only shows the game area to show an example of a larger game, while the second has the entire web page visible.

wars-four-plus.png

wars-screenshot-ui.png

Here's a couple of screenshots from the game I mentioned earlier. Note that the graphics are placeholders drawn by yours truly, we might want a pixel artist to contribute nicer ones at some point. The first screenshot only shows the game area to show an example of a larger game, while the second has the entire web page visible.

Woop woop, think i read your first post too fast, i discovered advance wars on gba-emu just over a month ago when it was mentioned somewhere. Still playing it regularly.

Yet another thing to look forward to, this thread is full of good stuff indeed!

And if you have room for another beta tester, lemme know!

Cheers!

Woop woop, think i read your first post too fast, i discovered advance wars on gba-emu just over a month ago when it was mentioned somewhere. Still playing it regularly.

Yet another thing to look forward to, this thread is full of good stuff indeed!

And if you have room for another beta tester, lemme know!

Cheers!
I'll keep you in mind when we get to a more stable release. Currently the game can change overnight without any notice :p . We keep the number of people involved small for now.

imho, the UI could use some love, but i like the in-game graphics style

The UI outside of the game view is one of the least developed parts of the game (we have mostly concentrated on the game itself). We'll get on that when we're satisfied with the game itself :)

I've a few things in development:

An updated Elemental game with actual graphics and sound.

An action/adventure game with procedurally generated content and user-creatable powers.

A graphics tool for game making: tile maker, animation tool with onionskinning and decent drawing functions.

An implementation of Acceptable Losses with a computer AI opponent.

A few other projects that I'm fiddling with.

Oh right, I forgot something. Once I got my Pandora, sooner or later I'll definitely create some more wallpapers (I have already made a few). I'm going to tailor them to the general characteristics of the screen to make them look as great as possible on every Pandora.

I'm not quite sure if you can call this "developing", but well, I put quite some effort into this.

Not strictly for Pandora, but if I ever get either of my two game projects to any publishable state (and that is a big if). they are going to be ported to Pandora. One's something between a 4x-game and a (really slow-paced) RTS (a bit like what crossbreeding the Settlers with Master of Orion II and then giving it to Civilisation 4 to be taught) and other metroid-esque adventure game.

The 4x-game is already in playable state (without AI opponents and only with linux PC), but it'll probably need heavy rewriting to work on Pandora.

Currently finishing off my multi platform Puzzle game (going to be on Windows, Linux, Pandora and Android. Android version is being developed concurrently in Java). Then it's onto the first BIG project, a delicious mix of Megaman X, Super Metroid and Castlevania: Circle of The Moon. That will hopefully look something like this

Back