Warranty?

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
Hi all, been a while. My pandora has had these cracks around the hinges since last year, never been dropped, hardly even used, they just developed on their own. My unit also never properly connected to wifi, it'll stay connected for a few minutes at a time & even then only gets 56k speeds, if that. I've hardly had time to use it in the past year, but i've just gotten a new job where it'd be a huge help. My question: is my unit under warranty still or am i SOL? If it is, who do i contact now to get it fixed/replaced?

thanks in advance

-C_9

--Sent from my HP Touchpad

i believe the warranty is good for one year from your bill of sale date.

Hopefully, you still have that receipt. :wacko:

i have all my order info emails & everything still. I find it hard to believe that the warranty is only a year on a device plagued with so many hardware problems. Mine is more than likely out of warranty, i'm a first-day pre-orderer, received it march of last year & had to have it replaced once already. Now what are my options? Do i have to pay to get it fixed or something?

i have all my order info emails & everything still. I find it hard to believe that the warranty is only a year on a device plagued with so many hardware problems. Mine is more than likely out of warranty, i'm a first-day pre-orderer, received it march of last year & had to have it replaced once already. Now what are my options? Do i have to pay to get it fixed or something?
I really am sorry for your discontent. I know that does not help you.

You have explained this to me well. All I can suggest is to email the supplier per your bill of sale.

Tell them exactly what you have told me. Do not expect a immediate response for OP is going through internal rearrangements.

To my knowledge, there is no post warranty pricing. I believe there should be but that is another issue. :lol:

Keep your chin up.

Cheers.

Last edited:
the warrenty would have started from when you received the item not when you paid for it, unless you paid for it and it was received on the same day of course.

I know there's been talks of cracks occurring in the case before, there's a guide for self-repair here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/4169-how-to-fix-hinge-holes-using-sugru/

I think it just came down to a quality control issue with the case manufacturer (in China, I think?). Which is one of the reasons they're consolidating production in Europe to keep an eye on things.

As for WiFi, you can increase the power to the wireless chip (by default, set fairly low to conserve battery life). Or if the wireless is still bad, there are Pandora compatible wireless dongles, too. Not a perfect solution, but may be all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cracks are temperature related. Unfortunately they did a crappy job of tempering the plastic before they poured the molds. Or at least my buddy who's a plastic engineer explained it to me that way. I just got my first crack a couple days ago.

I have been absolutely amazed at the Pandora and OP. I was a first-batcher who upgraded to premium. I do feel that we first-batchers should be given an extended warranty as we are pretty much the beta for the whole pandora process. But then again, it could be construed as our fault for adopting early and not waiting for all these manufacturing defects to be worked out.

Hopefully OP are willing to work with you.

speak to ED about it maybe there is something that can be done, wether free or at a cost I dont know, but EvilDragon is good at this stuff.

Wow...second crack in a week. Living in a cold climate has pretty much killed my Pandora's portability. Thank you Chinese case company!

Just to put it out there, I haven't had any cracking issues since I got my Pandora in June...this started when the temperature outside began dipping below 45 degrees. The first crack was 43 out and the one I found today it was 34 out. Hope this helps others keep their cases crackless.

^ interesting, since we've seen craigix play in the snow with his Pandora :p

Wow...second crack in a week. Living in a cold climate has pretty much killed my Pandora's portability. Thank you Chinese case company!
Oh, is that the problem... I was wondering why a small crack suddenly developed when I took it up north a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I added the info to the Wiki's hardware defects page:

http://pandorawiki.org/Hardware_defects

Would be nice to get a more official "source" for the info that this is due to poor tempering of the plastic, though.

ive read about this beeing down to tempering of the plastics countless times on the forum and there is the pinned sugru thread by prometheus which suggests there are some well known cosmetic defects most people tend to read the pinned threads and appeared to order a batch of sugru too. sounds like you might have not been fortuinate enough to read it soon enough. if you had been fortuinate enough catch the cracks early on you could fill the hairlines and strenghten the unit before any major cometic damage was apparent.

Also out of interest what hotfix are you on if you have not used the panda for a while? not that i am questioning your wifi issues but my panda sounds like it was exactly the same on the hotfixes before 5 and still does have the same issue but not as often since the last update to correct it all i do is toggle wifi off and on again from the menu bar and it works again fine. Might be worth a try if you havent already before you send the unit off and have to live without it for a few weeks.

Good luck either way with the waranty or seeing if toggling the wifi helps

^ interesting, since we've seen craigix play in the snow with his Pandora :p
craig's was most likely a different batch pour. I'm prone to believe my friend Pat in regards to my cracks as he is a plastics engineer. But if you want to risk it, it's your panda. I was just trying to be helpful because it seems more of these cracks are appearing for people the closer winter gets.

I got a first batch unit with a left nub that has been busted from day one (no, I'm not a One Nub clubber).

I've been waiting until Pandora production ramped up so people could actually get their units before I RMA'd mine.

I'm pretty sure I'm beyond the One Year thing.

Has my compassion for other Pandorians inadvertently screwed me from getting my Pandora repaired under warranty?

My unit has those cracks, etc. I don't care about that, I would like to have it perform as advertised at some point, though.

Interesting find about the cold, we'll have a talk with the plastics company right away!

If that's all to keep future cases from developing cracks, it'd be nice :)

BTW: Regarding Warranty:

I'm having no problem replacing LCD Cables and broken nubs for free if you have one of the old units, even after the warranty time, as this is a common issue.

Interesting find about the cold, we'll have a talk with the plastics company right away!

I'm having no problem replacing LCD Cables and broken nubs for free if you have one of the old units, even after the warranty time, as this is a common issue.
If you have a spare case, you could put it in the Refrigerator for some hours and see what happens. ;)

If you have a spare case, you could put it in the Refrigerator for some hours and see what happens. ;)

Don't do it, EvilD! It's a trap!

ED, you are a champion. :p

Do you mind if I ask if you'll be able to re-case Pandoras that have developed cracks, too, assuming that the plastics company will temper the plastic properly for future case batches?

Back