Bulging Battery

blah blah blah....

BAD IDEA.

These are not normal Lthium-Ion batteries. If you accidentally puncture a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery, it can easily go up in flames. And I think that's an understatement.

Yes I know, but I'm fairly certain that inside the wrapping, there are smaller LiPo cells that could be removed carefully and with minimal risk, then disposed of hilariously or sensibly, depending on individual choice. I haven't tried it on my pandora battery, but I have some experience of batteries, and they are virtually always composed of multiple smaller cells. Certainly, don't do it unless you like playing with fire though. But what sort of lunatic doesn't like playing with fire?

This is a single cell battery, note the 3.7v marking. Also, in LiPo packs or pretty much any battery pack there are no "smaller" cells they are all the same size and usually also resistance matched.

Last edited by a moderator:
I little off-topic, but I noticed that one of my old Lithium-ion battery (not Li-Po) has a huge bulge in it. Twas surprised.

Is that possible? Li-Ion cells are in metal cans, they don't bulge they simply either have their over pressure valve go or explode.

one of my old GBA's always bulges its batteries, 3 so far before i decided it was the GBA fault and not crappy batteries

Does HF6 completely solve the bulging battery problem?

I do some dev on my Pandora, and usually have it charging while it compiles something for hours, would it be better to leave it unplugged for this or not?

Does HF6 completely solve the bulging battery problem?

I do some dev on my Pandora, and usually have it charging while it compiles something for hours, would it be better to leave it unplugged for this or not?

I haven't experienced this bulging battery problem, but I gather it's a problem resulting from trickle charging. My Pandora came with HF5 and never trickle charged, but I believe everyone with HF6 should now not trickle charge, based on what I've heard. The way it should behave is to charge to 100%, then stop charging and discharge until it reaches 60%, at which time it should start charging again. It used to keep charging the battery a little bit to keep it full, a method called "trickle charging", which is actually a VERY bad idea for lithium-ion and lithium-ion polymer batteries (even though laptops with lithium-ion batteries seem to do it anyway; at least, mine does), since these types of batteries cannot accept an overcharge without being damaged or starting a fire or exploding (lithium-ion polymer batteries even more so, I believe), and also because this type of charging also significantly reduces battery life.

So anyway, if it stops charging when it reaches full, you ought to be safe from the bulging battery problem.

Back