Warlock Firetop Mountain Site -did Folk Enjoy It ?

Grebn

Hi all,

I've just updated the Warlock of Firetop Mountain page so you can now download the finished game from there. Its had a couple of nice reviews so I've got my fingers crossed - there's been some really excellent submissions for the GP32 for GBAX 2005 (Another World - awesome!) which is good.

Just wanted to make sure you peeps enjoyed Warlock - has anyone completed it yet? And what would you say to another one? Now I've got the engine sussed another one shouldn't take as long.

Anyway, if you want me to tackle another one, let me know which one(s) you'd most like to read. Crowd pleaser that I'd be, I'll probably go for the most popular choice..

Paul

PS: website address is www.scip.org.uk/ab/pogart/gp32.htm

Strangely enough I love the game. :p

I have even converted my 5 Year old daughter - I read out the text and she chooses the answers - and she likes your pictures as well.

If you do another one I would be greatful - but Warlock is the only one I knew.

Is there a book with animals in it (like tigers and stuff)?
I'll go and see what I can find.

Thanks alot

PS I have not won yet :D

Tarka

Strangely enough I love the game. :p

I have even converted my 5 Year old daughter - I read out the text and she chooses the answers - and she likes your pictures as well.

If you do another one I would be greatful - but Warlock is the only one I knew.

Is there a book with animals in it (like tigers and stuff)?
I'll go and see what I can find.

Thanks alot

PS I have not won yet :D

Tarka

gp32x.de - Wild About Animals (VNS file)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Blah

I guess I should have checked the downloads more :blink:

But when I have a young'en demanding new books I get a bit fazed.

Hi Tarka,

Cheers! Glad your daughter enjoyed it too. Bedtime stories for the 21st century!!

Paul

I say: let'em come!
It was a nice job, and one of the most original ideas so far in the GP32 scene so far (I bet other platforms will be picking up the idea through VNS).
If you have the time and patience, please continue the work on them! We'd all be thanking you for it! Brings back some good old memories.

By the way, I picked up the original book from my shelf yesterday to compare it, and I noticed a lot of the drawings are versions of the book's pictures. That's cool :D

Keep on the good work!!!!

Cheers Blah

I guess I should have checked the downloads more :blink:

But when I have a young'en demanding new books I get a bit fazed.

You could also try Paradise Heights (available from the gp32spain.com page) but it's in french and it's not at all advisable for anyone under 18 ^_^

I loved that idea as well, there should be more dating sims using VNS around, even though in that one you can only make one or two decisions in the whole game. But I bet most visual novels/dating sims/ren'ai games (at least the most simple) could easily be redone on VNS using screenshots from the game(s) and programming the storyplot/decisions into it!
Is anyone else into this kinda stuff??? It's so bad most of 'em are in Japanese.... :(

Is a brilliant game, I never got to complete it, got near, and then my mother threw away my save code thing. I never summed up the strength to bother trying again. Great game though.

I enoyed playing it as well and the art was cool, however the black and white hurt my eyes playing it on the GP32 screen. It could just be as my eyes are very light sensative and such but other then that great game!!!

Well, I just finished playing through a large chunk of it... Part 1 is really fun... part 2 less so (how I hate mazes! They're just cheap ways to increase the playing time... not your fault I know, but it was annoying). A few bugs I found/suggestions I have:

(My code was 020202210 for Pt2):

1. At the riverbank, if you try to cross by bridge, you automatically win on all of the chance rolls (it doesn't actually roll them, it just says chance=80%)

2. If you rest on the opposite bank of the river, once you're done the picture doesn't change

3. Same thing as 2. when you try to leave the boatman's house

4. This also happens quite a LOT in the maze. Speaking of the maze...

5. When you get the dwarves to tell you the directions, they're almost useless because you don't know what "right" or "left" is. I suggest that the game automatically take you through a few "correct" turns once you glean the information from them.

6. compass directions on the maze pictures would be quite helpfull, as it's very difficult to remember exactly where you came from... and I tend to orient myself visually...

7. When I (FINALLY) got to the dragon & tried to fight him, I always got a skill roll of zero. What's up with that? Is there another way through somehow? How's a skill roll of zero even possible? I thought that the attack skill is added to your existing skill...

8. On the aforementioned dragon screen, "beast" is spelled as "beat".

9. It would be very, very usefull when encountering zombies/skeletons/etc if you could tell the player in advance how MANY of them there are... as it was I got stuck fighting a seemingly endless army of skeletons in the boat house... if I'd known I would've backed out.

That's it so far... :) Really great work on the illustrations, by the way.

Hi Esn,

Cheers for the bug finding! I agree wholeheartedly with the maze - I always dreaded getting there whenever I played the book (but not in a good way - its just boring and flabby) - anyway, here's my response to all points raised:

1. At the riverbank, if you try to cross by bridge, you automatically win on all of the chance rolls (it doesn't actually roll them, it just says chance=80%)

>> It does actually roll - I should probably put that on the text. It just picks a random number between 1 and 100. So the chances of failing are quite low anyway.

2. If you rest on the opposite bank of the river, once you're done the picture doesn't change.
3. Same thing as 2. when you try to leave the boatman's house
4. This also happens quite a LOT in the maze. Speaking of the maze...

>> Sorted - I can do these easily enough..

5. When you get the dwarves to tell you the directions, they're almost useless because you don't know what "right" or "left" is. I suggest that the game automatically take you through a few "correct" turns once you glean the information from them.

>> That's not a bad idea. Thats lifted straight from the book, and they're just as useless there because all direction choices in the maze are given as compass points. I might just change it to give the fully correct route to the Dragon.

6. compass directions on the maze pictures would be quite helpfull, as it's very difficult to remember exactly where you came from... and I tend to orient myself visually...

>> OK - shouldn't be too hard - I'll just add some illustrations with compass points.

7. When I (FINALLY) got to the dragon & tried to fight him, I always got a skill roll of zero. What's up with that? Is there another way through somehow? How's a skill roll of zero even possible? I thought that the attack skill is added to your existing skill...

>> Probably a variable adding bug - I must've spelt SKILL wrong or something.

8. On the aforementioned dragon screen, "beast" is spelled as "beat".

>> Easy! I'm surprised there weren't more typos!

9. It would be very, very usefull when encountering zombies/skeletons/etc if you could tell the player in advance how MANY of them there are... as it was I got stuck fighting a seemingly endless army of skeletons in the boat house... if I'd known I would've backed out.

>> Will do - there's a chance that there's a bug in the boathouse - how many skeletons did you end up fighting? I think there's supposed to be four.

I played it last night and was thoroughly enjoying it until i came across a minotaur, i was constantly getting an attack strength of zero, is this another bug or did i need something special to kill him?

>> Will do - there's a chance that there's a bug in the boathouse - how many skeletons did you end up fighting? I think there's supposed to be four.

I think I fought 7 or so before they killed me. ;) ("NO! Not ANOTHER one!! Gah!!!") I thought it might be an intentional trap & that the skeletons kept resurrecting. :p

So... I think I'll wait for the revised part 2 before I continue playing it. :)

I got to part two and went into a room where zombies hurt me.. I fought them but once i killed one of them, the bg pic got all messed up and my gp32 rebooted.. :( Btw i have an flu..
but so far playing this has been awesome!!

Hi all,

Cheers for bug reporting - Onionfrog - that sounds like a memory leak error - its exactly what happened when I had the whole game in one part (which is why I split it in two). Did you continue straight from part 1 when that happened? It may be as well to play Part 2 after resetting your GP32. Keep me posted anyway.

Esn and Belgarath - was it just the Dragon / Minotaur that gave the attack zero 0 error, or did other fights do this as well? Do you remember what your SKILL rating was? There's a chance that somewhere in the program I've put something like SKILL=1 rather than SKILL-1. Did the other fights work OK? Its strange because the code used for each fight is cut and pasted, so should be the same. Did it roll a zero every time?

I'm looking into it though!

Paul

Well, there was at least one other fight somewhere where it gave me zeroes a few times (not all the time, just sometimes). I'm not really sure where it was, though... My skill rating was 9.
EDIT: Yes, the Dragon fight DID roll a 0 every time.

Also, I had the memory-leak error (crash) also, after I started playing part 2 directly after part 1. After I reset my GP32 I didn't have it again... so I guess it IS better to reset. ;)

I think my skil rating was 9 as well, and I never had zeroes on any of my previous encounters, it was just the minotaur and i got about 5 zeroes in a row before i died.

Haven't played it yet as I am currently travelling round India and my beloved portable is in storage (just too big to make the backpack). However it sounds good.

As for which one to do next- my favourite of the books when I was a kid was called 'The Forest of Doom' or something like that. It had a big toothy lizard with its tongue out on the front cover. That one would be cool.....

Back