Gbax2005 Review (all Submissions)

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
EDIT: Updated 3x since original posting

The original reviews appear at FameSoft (screenshots of the games appear on the original website). I put a (?) sign whenever I wasn't sure of the exact meaning

Here is a translation:

Tyrannosphere by Goity

http://www.ppstuff.tk/
graphics 3
sound 3
controls 4
fun 3
realization 3
whole score 3.2

Goity missed the mark on this one. Perhaps the most raw project. And originally unworking in its first appearance on GBAX. To get it to play you need to rename the tyrannosphere.fxe into tyra.fxe. And then you need to copy the file tyra.dcb into the tyra directory from http://l33t.spod.org/~goity/tyra.dcb

WinterSports Eins by Rockin'-B

http://www.rockin-b.de
graphics 4
sound 3
controls 5
fun 3
realization 4
whole score 3.8

A remake of the old "Yeti", which plays (?) penguins. The sound crackles slightly. :( In the archive there are 2 versions: A and C. The first is preffered but eats up batteries, the 2nd is less pretty but will last longer. I couldn't get the dispersed versions (sources?) to work.

GPShoot by Mirko Weber

Nabz_2(пес)freenet.de
graphics 3
sound 0
controls 4
fun 4
realization 3
whole score 2.8

This is one level of Mirko Weber's upcoming game. The graphics, let us just say, aren't super. But on the whole bearable. There are even some places where they're not bad at all.
But the animation's not smooth. Plus, the whole gameplay consists of crouching on one knee and shooting at poor policemen from this position. They can't even do anything to you. :( Only sometimes they'll throw a grenade, but even this they can't do very well.

Another World by Philippe Simons

beat_bedsit(собака)yahoo.co.uk
graphics 5
sound 5
controls 5
fun 5
realization 5
whole score 5

It's hard to grade remakes. On one side, they're not original games. On the other - there have been so many cases where a port has been horrible. Here, it's not like that at all. Excellent work on resurrecting the game. And though it can be emulated on the GP32 (DrMD-Genesis version), here it looks much better. The only bad thing is the gamma (brightness) of the display. The poisonous slugs from the 1st part are hard to make out on a non-lit GP.

VNS File: Warlock Of Firetop Mountain by Paul Stapleton

http://www.scip.org.uk/ab/pogart/gp32.htm
graphics 4 (+1 for the scale of the work)
sound 2
controls 5
fun 5
realization 4
whole score 4.2

An excellent game made in VNS. Paul has transferred to the GP32 the first book of the series "Fighting Fantasy" (there are 60 in all). And though the graphics, in all honesty, are cartoony, you can't say they're not stylish. And come to think of it, I even saw some quite serious books with similar illustrations.

VNS File: The Scumm Quiz by Wildcat

graphics 4 (but all unoriginal)
sound 0
controls 4
fun 2
realization 4
whole score 2.8

A quiz about Lucasart games.

Twins by BUHOnero

http://quiest.milten.lima-city.de/index.html
graphics 4
sound 5
controls 5
fun 3
realization 4 (the font used is unfortunate. It's very hard to read)
whole score 4.2

This is a memory game. Open 2 cards one after the other - and they'll dissappear. And so you can "open" all of them. There are 9 themes (7 at the beginning and 2 extras) and 9 different table sizes. 81 combinations in total. And for each of them, the game remembers a high score.

The Minigame Project by Quiest

http://quiest.milten.lima-city.de/index.html
graphics 4
sound 4
controls 4
fun 4
realization 4
whole score 4

A collection of 4 Fenix mini-games. All games are nice and simple. All keep a high score. So there's some motivation; to beat it. To go back into the menu from a game, close the game & press "select + start".

Rotor by Stone Software (Alessio Perardi)

http://www.airborn.bl.am
graphics 5 (excellent dynamic)
sound 3 (only music)
controls 4 (for the turns of the trek & the inability to normally turn the ship itself)
fun 4 (it's necessary to restart to play again)
our score 4.2

Fenix. But the coder tried hard. Very impressive.
The game - a scrolling shooter. But it's hard to say whether vertical or horizontal.

BangGP by Chemaris

graphics 5
sound 5
controls 5
fun 5
realization 4 (sometimes the game hangs at the level selection screen)
our score 4.8

Another Fenix game that hits the mark spot-on.
A little (?). And a shotting gallery. The shooting gallery isn't simple. Here, there are several variants. There is the "Saloon", in which you have to shoot bandits that appear at the windows. There is a level where you have to shoot bubbles that float up ladies. :) They break apart into smaller ones, which you also have to shoot... there is a "Moohrun" type level. There is the (hardest, for me) level with the Native Americans. There are others too.

Spotz by Jez Arthur

graphics 4
sound 2 (there are sound effects but no music)
controls 4 (the start menu and game interface are not very intuitive)
fun 5
realization 4 (no music)
our score 3.8

The game is a copy of Sudoku, but instead of numbers you are expected to fill the board with circles of 9 different colours. The circles are animated, everything looks nice enough, but the game is obviously not for the colour-blind :) :( . And then there's the absence of music...

Space Dodger by Pineapple Soft

graphics 4
sound 5
controls 5
fun 5
realization 5
our score 4.8

Here's a real shooter. And what a great one... and again written in Fenix... though truly, it doesn't matter what language you use, as long as you put your soul into it. :)
What can we say about the actual game?
First off, the game is not from the Macross/Robotech series; it simply uses the mech design from the anime. It's also where the author got the music from.

Qwarage: Abstract Shooter by Djis

Everything is great, but it's not a finished game yet.
1) The ship is too big to miss all of the incoming rockets
2) Even when you run out of lives, you keep on shooting (but the points stop accumulating)... and it goes on forever like this. As if it was overlooked.
3) It's not possible to beat the boss.
4) There are no sound effects, only music.
It's not a game, not even a demo yet.

Ghostpix by Marc Robledo

graphics 4
sound 5
controls 5
fun 5
realization 5
our score 4.8

Backstory:
Marc is a tiny ghost who really wants to become a big ghost. But to grow up, he needs to learn concentration. Help him earn his power, by playing... :)
There are 497 problems in the game. About 60% of these are by by the author himself and the betatesters of the game. The rest are taken from Mario's Picross 2 for the classic Gameboy.

Hugo32 by Avseth

graphics 4
sound 4
controls 5
fun 3
realization 4
our score 4

Backstory:
Hugo was a small pig until the day when he became a large pig. Here he was helped by a magical cape. The cape gave him the ability to fly, to catch variously-filled flying cans in the air and to throw fireballs at enemies who fly by. And then Hugo vowed the he'd destroy King Napas who, you see, wants to take over the whole world.

Happy Giant (Arcade) by Team Giant (Gim, HyeongIl)

graphics 3
sound 0
controls 4
fun 3
realization 4
our score 2.8

Backstory:
In a faraway galaxy... there lived a giant. He was very, very alone and sat sadly on a big, big tree. Just like this {- _ -}
And then one day a small, small ball landed on this big, big tree. Since the ball flew, it's not surprising that it had a pilot. Now I don't know what happened between them, but the giant became very, very happy. Exactly so: {^o^}…

GPSudoku (Logic) by Muffinman

graphics 5 (for style)
sound 0
controls 5
fun 5
realization 4 (a mark is taken off for the absence of music)
our score 3.8

'Sudoku' is one of the most popular puzzle games today in Great Britain. The idea is simple. There is a grid of 9x9 boxes and numbers 1-9, which have to be fitted into each box so than every row, column and small 3x3 box have all the numbers from 1 to 9.

The Bocket Docket by Jez Arthur

graphics 3
sound 5
controls 4
fun 3
realization 4
our score 3.8

Actually, this is really 2 games. In both of them you're invited to torture the poor peasant, and you won't even have to get out grandfather's bedbugs to do this. Everything is done by the simple pressing of buttons:

A – Bash him
B – Twist him
R – Stretch him

The website also says that emulators are not reviewed because this takes a lot of time to accurately do. It does say that fGB32 is rather faster than the old version.

Thanks! How can I translate it?

Okay, found a way to translate, but most (all?) sentences come out really funny. :D
And these are just descriptions, not reviews or anything that helps me improve the minigames :(

Hi Maybe the games were not reviewed in any great depth but I'm sure folks around here appreciate your Minigames Project.

you commented on nothing in the review helps you improve your mingames, I have a suggestion -
is it possible to get rid of the press select when you die, then press Start to start again - would it be possible to dump you back at 'press start' so there is only 1 button to push - and perhaps press select at the same screen takes you back to the menu?

maybe drifting off topic sorry
;)

Thanks Tarka.

I thought long about the press select question, but I didn`t find a better solution, yet.

But I`m currently working on some tweaks and a new menu, and stuff, so I may update and change something about this.

"you commented on nothing in the review helps you improve your mingames"
What you mean by that? Where did I never commented? Review helps? ...???

i have spent 12 yes 12 hours on mario bounce! its addictive. i was up all night. damn those batteries that never run out!

there are bugs like it suddenly dropping my combo when it should not have and stuff like that which happen but a very good game.

Thanks Tarka.

I thought long about the press select question, but I didn`t find a better solution, yet.

But I`m currently working on some tweaks and a new menu, and stuff, so I may update and change something about this.

"you commented on nothing in the review helps you improve your mingames"
What you mean by that? Where did I never commented? Review helps? ...???
Quiest don't worry... If I was a judge I'd vote you best out of all the gp32 projects

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! ^_^

I know about that bug, Sam and I tried everything to get rid of it, but I didn`t found a solution... so until I can code a better "engine" for the game, the bug will be in there, I`m sorry :(

Not to take offence ;)
This is not GBAX judging. This is only review written for russian people. He explains what do in game. Button and little more.

If you want know, what this information:

1) Graphics - -1 Simpleness. Not BAD!!! Only Simpleness!
2) Sound - -1 Simpleness. You need more sound effects.
3) Control - Tarka wrote all correct + may be for menu use "left" "right" on joypad :)
4) Fun - include cycle to lifes. This is not only gameplay. You games very simple.
-1 - for simpleness ( 0,6 - for simpleness )
5) Realization - !!! -1 (for metal slug part (twinkles hero)+uncomfortable control in menu+impossibility exit from game in menu if you live).

Sorry my English. Can grade his in "0" ;)

I know it`s not GBAX.

And I didn`t understand a nearly single word you say!
There is a way to exit a minigame and go straight back to the menu, just read the manual!

And what about that "-1 --1 !+ 0 0.6 ,.-!!--sdf" stuff? What? Erm... what?

I know that the menu is uncomfortable to control, the next version features a way better menu. :D

Thanks! ^_^

I know about that bug, Sam and I tried everything to get rid of it, but I didn`t found a solution... so until I can code a better "engine" for the game, the bug will be in there, I`m sorry :(
I think the bug'll be damn near impssible to fix... I get this a lot in my code.
Btw how do you do such neat landings on ground? every time I try to do landing code the place the character lands differs.

There is a way to exit a minigame and go straight back to the menu, just read the manual!
:rolleyes:
Only when "you" will die. ;) :lol:

Points were removed. For glitches, inconvenience and simplified nature. You have made good games. Thanks. Really. But good games was much.
Everyone can write the comment to any of the considered games and to put the estimation. Be simply registered at this news forum and press the button "comments" ;)

Yo guys! 8))
Hahahoj's made a good work. He's played and tested all those games.
Generally I agree with every single mark of him. 8))

^_-

I don`t want to complain, the project is still at an early stage, as I am as a coder, so I really need the input on what to make better/different. And I thank Hahahoj for his work about playing/reviewing the games.

"But good games was much." And what does that mean again? Sorry if I sound offensive, I just want to understand you! :)

You doesn't sound offensive, just too childish ^___-

As I can see... not many people leave their feedbacks. And not so many people even test some projects.

So... do you need a detailed feedback from some proffies? huh? ^_^'

You doesn't sound offensive, just too childish ^___-

As I can see... not many people leave their feedbacks. And not so many people even test some projects.

So... do you need a detailed feedback from some proffies? huh? ^_^'

You sound like a snobbish asshole, sorry if THAT was to childish for you.
And I don`t like people that call themselves proffies, whatever that is <_<
Maybe you can explain first what`s so childish about my questions...

And thanks, Huxley, I got something wrong about that points system he explained.
I did get that whole "5 total - 1 point for this and that"-system wrong as he explained it.
Even if the score wouldn`t be 4/5, I`m happy about every review I get :D
I hope I didn`t piss Hahahoj off, I`m really thankful for his oppinion.

And thanks about that with Mini Slug (same with Bloody Bumblebee). In the next release you will be able to exit from midgame to title screen via select!

Back