Fighting Fantasy Demo V.0.2 Online!

Grebn

Alright there,

As promised, you can now download the demo version of Warlock Of Firetop Mountain for VNS from my website: http://www.scip.org.uk/ab/pogart/gp32.htm

A lot has occured since the little tech demo last week - battle sequences are now conducted under full Fighting Fantasy rules (which is a pig to code in VNS, I can tell you), as are LUCk and SKILL testing. There are scripted opportunities to rest (wherein you can eat provisions, look at your stats and so on), loads more locations and graphics.

This will be the last beta version until the game is finished now - just wanted you all to see the mechanics in action, and get a feel for the first section of the game.

For the list of things still to do and improve, see the text on my website.

If you do download and play the game, please leave some feedback here - I'm open to all suggestions, criticisms and bug finding!

See y'all!

Paul

Hi Grebn, just being playing V0.2 and it give the feel of a real book game.
I really must say thanks for takng on this project.

I will be checking for the final every time I log in.

It must take a lot of typing - how much % is cut,compared to the original book?

Also if you tackle another one later (I guess much later), can I help in typing the text in?

much Kudos to u.
Tarka

I'm playing it right now...Text adventures aren't my thing, but any gp32 RPG is a good gp32 RPG, as they are few and far between.

:)

Hi,

I have been taking a look to the images (bmp) and i tried to OPTIMIZE it in size a bit.

I hope this helps to keep saving some SMC space, save GP32 memory, and reduce loading times. I suppose as the "story" continues growing the file size could be worring so ... these are my optimizations.

- Convert the color images to 256 colors (8-bit)
- Convert the b&w images to 16 colors (4-bit)

I have tested it and the images look perfect! and the file sizes are reduced from 2.1MB to 800k !! :D :D

If you want it i have the optimized zip for download but i dont know how to upload it as attachment to the post :(

Aiken

Hi Aiken,

That sounds brilliant! The size of the program was starting to concern me, so what you've done is fantastic. Could I do it in Photoshop?

Anyway, I'm about to email you about it now.

Many many thanks,

Paul

Grebn posted on Apr 19 2005 at 02:53 PM said:
Hi Aiken,

That sounds brilliant! The size of the program was starting to concern me, so what you've done is fantastic. Could I do it in Photoshop?

Anyway, I'm about to email you about it now.

Many many thanks,

Paul

Yes, you could do it in photoshop, with the palette/colors tools, I dont use photoshop instead so i dont know how to do it with pshop.

You can take the "optimized" version here,
http://www.gp32games.com/downloads/VNS_the...ountain_v02.zip

I have included the VNS program to have all together.

If you need help with the next version, just let me know, it takes only 5 mins
to optimize all the images ;)

Aiken

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again Aiken,

You're a star! The loading time is quicker, and the graphics come onto the screen immediately. I think I've worked out how to do it in Photoshop now, but I may come back to you when its finished if you're able to do it that quickly!

Anyway, I've put a link to your version on my website now, so people can download it from you.

Paul

Grebn posted on Apr 19 2005 at 03:35 PM said:
Hi again Aiken,

You're a star! The loading time is quicker, and the graphics come onto the screen immediately. I think I've worked out how to do it in Photoshop now, but I may come back to you when its finished if you're able to do it that quickly!

Anyway, I've put a link to your version on my website now, so people can download it from you.

Paul

ok, just put a reference to my website (www.gp32games.com) near the download link ;)

I'm happy to help you with the graphics, when you have the next version just send it to me and i'll optimize the graphics in a while ;)

Aiken

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,

Thanks for listing me on your webpage. I did not realise a few words would get me a listing.

You must have been speaking to someone else about the Spanish Translations but I will have a look anyway - My Wife always wants me to speak more Spanish. It would be a challange. Unless your original contact does the job quicker / better.

I do monitor your web

c0ncept posted on Apr 20 2005 at 12:57 AM said:
you can batch process images in photoshop as well, so this job would really take about 3secs :)

Or use Irfanview. Fast, free, easy to use :)

Last edited:
Hi Tarka,

Sorry - I must have got you muddled up with someone else (re Translating)! Nevertheless, your support and compliments have been very motivating and I appreciate that.

Paul

Hi Grebn,

Still going strong I see - Your little Map is a great. I keep checking it,

It almost keeps me as amused as playing games on the GP32
(well slight exageration)
Thanks Tarka

Back