Want Something Ported? Look Here First!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
MOD Edit - Merged these two threads, so I'll post the information here.

Ports require source code.

What is source code?

Source code is what makes up a program. Freeware programs may or may not have this available. Commericial programs will NOT.

The rule is, unless you see "GPL" or "GNU" somewhere, you aren't going to see any source code!

Example of code:

Code:
int x = 0;
for (; x < 320; x+=30) {
   TextOut(0,x, "PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE");
}

Code cannot just be gained intuitively. Programs generally cannot be "disassembled" into its native code, it can only be disassembled into machine code, which is NOT viable for porting something to the GP32!

Please be advised before posting a request for a port.

MOD - Original post is below.

Lotsa people suggest ports of games with no source code available.

Maybe they don't realize you need sources to port to another system, and are confusing the fact that a game is free or something with it being portable?

Maybe it should be pinned so people check to see if source code is available before suggesting a port. In fact, on the flip side, if anyone finds source code out there for any good games, they should definitely suggest it! :)

hmm your link seems to go on an empty page... only some ad links.... where is something about the game

Fiend

http://fiend.cjb.net

The author has said to contact him if anyone wants the source-code.

Looks okay - However, the specs might not make it possible for the GP32?

Direct X 6.0
Pentium 200 MHz
32 MB RAM
60 MB disk diskspace

???

Well, this is no source code suggestion for a game but for the WinUAE Amiga emulator. It's available at: WinUAE

This would openup hundreds of games if this emulator could be ported.

Normen posted on Jul 29 2003 at 11:26 AM said:
wwwoooowww 200 Mhz and 32 MB ram .... gah ... :huh:
That's a little heavy though, since the original X-COM could be played on a 486-SX33 with 4MB of RAM... so you should be able to get this port running on the GP32, if it gets optimized a bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't get the idea why this thread should only be for ports.
It's called "...ideas...". So any idea is welcome I guess.
I for one, if I should find the time, will start a game from scratch
as soon as my GP32 arrives (I hope next monday....).
Ports are nice but new ideas important for the progress of the system.

Does any body remember playing paradroid on the c64?

The version i use in frodo has an annoying sound bug...

There is an SDL version here I though might make an interesting project:
http://freedroid.sourceforge.net/news.phphttp://freedroid.sourceforge.net/news.php

I took a look at the sources for a different SDL clone, but it used fmod (?) for the sound , so I didn't think it would be that portable. but this one looks okay...

Might be a nice afternoons project for some of the uber coders out there.

I might give it a try when I next get some time off work. Alas I have no compiler setup, and it has been atleast 5 years since I compiled anything in C. If anybody with experience can take a quick squiz at the source and say 'easy' , 'maybe' or 'impossible'
I would be grateful.

How about super methane brothers? Its such a funny game! Its written in c and the source code is available on a few platforms including linux and acorn. You can find the game here. If you want to play it. Of course if there was an amiga emu then we'd be able to play the amiga version, but a port would be sweet!

Coool.. That game kicks ass.. I remember playing it on Amiga Years and Years ago hehe...

Home of the Underdogs (the abandonware site) have an excellent list of open source games available with links to the games homepage (if there is one) and the source code -

http://www.the-underdogs.org/collect.php?n...en+Source+Games

It's not a huge list (and surely not comprehensive) but a good place to start. I like the look of NemesisCrisis especially. Do we actually have any talented/experienced programmers/developers on the board we could persuade in the direction of one particular game if we held a poll and all agreed on which title we wanted?

Cheers,

Neil

Ports require source code.

What is source code?

Source code is what makes up a program. Freeware programs may or may not have this available. Commericial programs will NOT.

Example of code:

Code:
int x = 0;
for (; x < 320; x+=30) {
    TextOut(0,x, "PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE");
}

Code cannot just be gained intuitively. Programs generally cannot be "disassembled" into its native code, it can only be disassembled into machine code, which is NOT viable for porting something to the GP32!

Please be advised before posting a request for a port.

that's basically right, but opensource software CAN be sold commercially (under the GPL for example). just a little correction. that doesn't change the fact that most commercial games are closed-source though. so ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back