OpenGL problems ahead?

TylerAW

I have noticed that many open source programs out there use OpenGL but apparently that is not compatible with OpenGLES? Every time we find something with source code it cannot be ported because we only run ES. Is it possible to compile code for the Pandora from an OpenGL to OpenGLES converter or something? I mean if not I can see some problems down the road for us :( .

Some one is already on it... Linky and is a member of the Open Pandora community.. Adventus I seen him post a bit on the gp2x site.. haven't seen him post in a while, well at least on these forums..

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also nanogl, but AFAIK it's not a magic bullet either. The best (not the quickest, not the easiest) way is still going through the code, analyzing OGL stuff not compatible with OGLES and reimplementing them. The magic-est bullet would be a true OGL-driver for the SGX, but I don't see that happening, at least not any time soon.

There's also nanogl, but AFAIK it's not a magic bullet either. The best (not the quickest, not the easiest) way is still going through the code, analyzing OGL stuff not compatible with OGLES and reimplementing them. The magic-est bullet would be a true OGL-driver for the SGX, but I don't see that happening, at least not any time soon.
Now do you mean a OGL-Driver for the SGX that is in the Pandora or the SGX at all? Because I thought the iPhone and droid did OpenGL?

Now do you mean a OGL-Driver for the SGX that is in the Pandora or the SGX at all? Because I thought the iPhone and droid did OpenGL?

IIRC from my my time with iPhone development, it uses OGLES too...

I have noticed that many open source programs out there use OpenGL but apparently that is not compatible with OpenGLES? Every time we find something with source code it cannot be ported because we only run ES. Is it possible to compile code for the Pandora from an OpenGL to OpenGLES converter or something? I mean if not I can see some problems down the road for us :( .
The strange thing is that there is now a large number of Android/Maemo/Mac powered devices and they got incredible popularity. Plus there are open-source things like Pandora. The demand of applications on these OMAP3 devices must be very high. And of course people want to play games on their phones, etc. So where are all those OpenGL ES 2.0 supported games and 3d editing programs ? Seriously, I have downloaded few random ( yet popular ) emulators ( Mupen64, Mupen64Plus, PCSX ) and none of their original sources contain any reference to GLES ! How come ? It feels like finding applications that support GLES would be as hard as finding sources that support SPU usage on CellBE ! ( And there are a number of wrappers - yet no practical programs that support SPUs ). I thought POWERVR would provide something more than framebuffer and accelerated XVideo output ( do you have this at least ? ) to the end user. I honestly hope that everything is a lot better than I have said.

IIRC someone mentioned that there is a commercially licensable OGL driver, but we don't have it.

(The statement above is based purely on a faint memory, and I take no responsibility of any direct or indirect consequences of this post if it turns out to be false)

Converting something from GL to ES isn't THAT bad... it just brings a port into the realm of not being a "quick port".

Worst case scenario you would have to rewrite the display routines from scratch... which is the same worst case scenario of any port...

I can't believe ... There is neither Xvideo nor Xorg driver for PowerVR ! ( At least open-source. ) By judging from DRI site:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerVR

there is no 2D/3D acceleration in Xorg. Does it mean that I have no choice but to get closed-source binaries ?

IIRC someone mentioned that there is a commercially licensable OGL driver, but we don't have it.
For x86 there is indeed a proprietary Linux OGL driver (in a horrible condition, though). Remember the Intel GMA500 "Poulsbo" & GMA600? The GPU itself is just a PowerVR SGX 535.

Back