Wanna Play Your Ps1 Games On Psp?

Well im at the point of giving up :(

I had a 2.6 psp for Christmas (im a noob to the psp world), I downgraded it to 1.5 the upgraded to 3.02 oe a and the to 3,02 oe b. (I was supprised I got there).
I Have converted a couple of games to ISOs then used Popstation to convert them to Eboot (I have the relevant Hot shots stuff) put them in the psp/game folder and all I get is a symbol saying PSPSone click on it, get the start screen and the a black screen.
I have read the readme's around 400 times (no joke) tried putting the isos in diffent places - nothing works and I have no idea what im doing wrong - can anybody help me :rolleyes:

@subcon959 - Thanks for that link earlier - I have tried converting the games using that too, but still no joy :(

Please help this sad case :blink:

hhhmm, sounds like you are putting the files Directly into the Game folder...

Say you are converting GTA2, After converting, make a new folder called "GTA2" in your PSP/Game folder. Now drag the GTA2 Eboot and GTA2 Key file into your GTA2 Folder ( PSP/Game/GTA2 )

Hope this helps :)

hhhmm, sounds like you are putting the files Directly into the Game folder...

Say you are converting GTA2, After converting, make a new folder called "GTA2" in your PSP/Game folder. Now drag the GTA2 Eboot and GTA2 Key file into your GTA2 Folder ( PSP/Game/GTA2 )

Hope this helps :)
I had been putting them in their own files, but I hadn't renamed the key file. I have just put in a file crash bandicoot - PSP/GAME/Crash and renamed the key file Crash - and this time I didn't get a black screen I got "The game could not be started (CA000005)"

I'm making progress ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, I hadn't been before, i'm just back to a black screen again now :(
I really want this to work, and I really have no idea whats going on.

*starts to cry*

Okay, problems I had...

I renamed keys, cos I thought it should be keys.bin. JUst leave it, it is already keys.bin

You have done the converting and ended up with an Eboot. You are then putting this self made eboot and the hot shots keys.bin into their OWN folder inside the game folder? Ie. you make a folder inside the psp/game folder and inside goes the self made eboot and the keys.bin and nothing else?

What games are you trying?

You MUST keep trying, it's so worth it!!!

Is your hotshots EBOOT.PBP around 150MB? I've seen some different sizes floating around because people have been stripping stuff out to use it purely as the BASE.PBP for converting.

I'm not sure what to suggest really as it's pretty much plug and play with the PSX stuff. I don't remember changing any settings anywhere. I just made a folder like /PSP/GAME/GOLF and put the EBOOT.PBP, KEYS.BIN and DOCUMENT.DAT in there, and then ran it from the menu. It's one thing if the conversion process isn't working but there's no reason the official game releases shouldn't work.

I guess you could try making the additional GAME folders. As well as the GAME folder, make GAME150 and GAME302 also in the PSP directory. Keep the PSX game folder in GAME though.

Thank you for the encouragement guys, I feel a fresh urge to get this working again.

I have tried two games so far, being Resident Evil and Crash. I have been putting them in the right place (PSP/GAME/(filename)) with the EBOOT and keys.bin (not renamed). My base.pbp is 1,361kb.
I have also tried putting them in a GAME150 and GAME302 folder aswell (I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about trying that :blink: thats how much this is getting to me)

I think it must be the base and keys files being dodgy :(

I will carry on my quest tomorrow.

Edit: @subcon959, whats the document.dat file, I have not heard mention of that before? cheers

My base.pbp is 1,361kb.

That might be the problem... Mine is more in the 154,000kb area..

Don't think that is it. The ones I have which work flawlessly so far are:
base.bin = 1.32 MB (1,392,801 bytes)
keys.bin = 16 bytes (16 bytes)
cygwin1.dll = 1.78 MB (1,875,110 bytes)
cygz.dll = 64.5 KB (66,048 bytes)

I've converted 18 of my games and all work except Driver however I read that it doesn't work with this emu. I'm not feeling bad about that one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My base.php is also about 1.3meg but obviously I only use that for converting. When I want to play Hotshots I use the full 150meg eboot. The reason I asked about the size was that I had a feeling it was the smaller one hence why the game itself didn't work.

Don't worry about the document.dat it's just the ingame manual and is purely optional.

I think we can narrow the problem down now to either a fubar base.pbp or bad cd-ripping. It would be cool if you could get hold of the full 150meg Hotshots game to try out. Which app do you use to make the iso?

What program are you using to rip your CDs, and what extension are they converting to? Are you getting the black screen after the Playstation boot-up image/sound?

my memory sticks are stuck at the post office should have them tomorrow, it nearly time to actually use my psp :)

Hi, only just got home from work, so my quest continues now :)

I have been using MagicISO to convert the games to an ISO and then using popstation to create the EBOOT.

When I click of the PSPSone icon I get a screen saying "please be sure you have read the precaution sections contained etc etc........." and then a black screen - no sound - the memory card light flashes for a bit and then nothing. I can press Home to get the option screen though?

I think I need a different base file :( as I used MagicISO to convert my games into bin/cue for psx4gp2x, and they worked fine.

@moz - glad to hear it, bet you can't wait and good luck (well I wish you better luck than me anyway!)

Edit:Typo

Back