Wandor the game is it still being made?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I remember some people were working on a game called wandor and it looked very good.A little like wario games.Is it still being made.I think Foxblock was involved in it but maybe i remember wrong.

The project hasn't been cancelled but development is more or less on hold at the moment, although it could be that foxblock is still working on the programming side of the game. I am/was an artist for the project but didn't have much time because of school, and now I'm working on Rainy Day.

I remember some people were working on a game called wandor and it looked very good.A little like wario games.Is it still being made.I think Foxblock was involved in it but maybe i remember wrong.
Yes is was Foxblock working on it... I think he is just without much spare time recently, but the occasional commit goes into the repo or the Penjin repo so he does little bits when he does get time.

Are you sure you're not thinking about Pandora Panic?
No... PandoraPanic! was inspired by WarioWare style games and Wandor is inspired by Wario Land style platforming games. Also PandoraPanic! is "finished"

Maybe we could do a PandoraPanic 2! or something... but I haven't got time to oversee such a project recently.

All our best devs are still hampered by life, and all our teens don't have enough time to gain their levels of experience.

Allright I see there is some speculation going on here and I wanted to reply earlier, but really did not know the best way to do so, so here it goes.

Well first of the game still exists and is not forgotten, here is proof:

screen110919-230244.png

But, before you get your hopes up for now it's better the project's status is regarded as "dead", an explanation is following.

There are several reasons for this, first of all this project was a planned disaster from the very beginning, which is 100% my fault.

It was my first project, I was very inexperienced and I fell into the common "bite more than you can chew"-trap. First results were great and rewarding then things got more slow and tedious.

I made the fault of thinking we need graphics before we implement the actual code (like behaviour of units), while actually the complete opposite is true (always work with placeholder graphics first to see whether elements actually work out in the real game).

You can see that graphics improved vastly over the course of the videos, while shown gameplay stayed almost the same. (Although one might say the graphics are the reason many people actually got interested in the game, but that's only an vicious guess).

Work on many different features started with other (partly more important) things left undone.

We actually made a plan, but it was not as detailed as it should have been and was not as followed as strictly as it should have been.

Now I realized that quite some time back and with the help of the team we actually made a proper design document (10 A4 pages and growing) and I made a proper ToDo list to get back on track.

Then another "homebrew killer" happened: Lack of free time. As he wrote above Dragons_Slayer (and the very same applies to me) had a lot to do for uni (and got side-tracked by other projects), other team members were busy at work they even had to do crazy overtimes and work on Sundays, so the whole thing fell apart again. Also most of the team was waiting for me to finish the engine code.

Now they are still waiting for me (I suppose/hope) and a month back I actually started working on applying some new ideas and changes I got with Greyout (which was based on a heavily modified version of the Wandor engine) back into Wandor.

Here is a local git changelog:

wandor_git.png

As you can also see the last commit already is over 2 weeks ago as I got to write 4 exams in the coming 2 weeks, so studying is taking up my whole day (almost at least).

Also so far I probably touched every file there is and modified it in some way, so I will probably end up re-writing half of the game (whether that is actually necessary might be up for debate, but it certainly is for the best).

My current plan is, and this is actually I have not spoken with the team about, to finish the engine quitely on my own so we are ACTUALLY ready with it and only have to fix bugs and can focus on creating levels and enemies completely.

This will take a while, but I am more confident I am ready for it now than I was three years ago (yes it has been that long).

Also playing the "demo" on the Pandora just makes me happy, a WarioLand-clone is the game I always wanted to make and it just "feels right" (even in the crude state it is) as if the Pandora has been made for it and not the other way around (mind you the whole game up to this point has been made without anyone of the team actually owning a Pandora).

So to sum it up, there is still a lot to do and there won't be any big news in the near future as I also got several other projects to finish.

You are better off regarding this project as "dead" until I announce otherwise, because it still just might not work out (either because I lose interest or the rest of the team or eventually it does not feel as great, there is plenty of stuff that can go wrong).

Thanks for the continued support, I highly appreciate the questions that I get regarding the game and threads like this show me there actually is interest in this game.

I think I never talked as openly about it, I hope you appreciate it and don't think "oh great another TL;DR post from foxblock", because that certainly won't keep me from writing those :p

I will leave you with this:

snail.png

PS: Today is Talk Like A Pirate Day btw, so yar scurvy pack of land-rats get ya salty piece of face outa my sight and start mopping up the deck befor I keelhaul y'all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.Thats quite a reply.The concept art i saw originally really looked good and well rounded like a commercially viable game title in my opinion.As you say time will tell if wandor sails the seven seas or not...... :)

Let's just say the project is 'sleeping'.

Looking forward to some day play a final version of this ;)

Uh, I am sad to say that there is no new information.

Everything I have said in my post above is still valid.

I did, however, meet up with pixelmind, the artist, a few months ago and we talked about the project.

We are both sad it never got finished, we talked about the problems we encountered and what could have been improved in the production process.

He told me he still would like to work on it very much, because he likes the general idea and style of it.

The same applies to me. I don't want to do it half-assed, don't want to rush it or cram it into my schedule just to abandon it a few months later. That's why I want to finish some other projects first, collect ideas, make a detailed plan, layout most levels, characters, etc. - the whole production planning. Afterwards look at how much time it would take and consider starting (from scratch at least on the code side of things).

I had the beta version (from a few years ago) with me at GamesCom and showed it a few people. Everyone loved it and while playing around in the few levels available it reminded me why I like working on it in the first place - the game just feel perfectly on the Pandora, even in this very raw state. (Hint: I usualy have it with me, if you happen to run into me and are interested in this project don't hesitate to ask about it. I usually carry around a bunch of prototypes, but this is a secret to everybody!)

Bottom line, I am still excited about this project, but it probably won't happen soon.... it might never happen... but if all goes well I will come back to this at some point (and it will be awesome).

PS: Thanks for the reminder, I haven't actually talked to pixelmind for a while now (and my general forum activity has gone down, too), because of uni work. I should contact him again.

It would be good to get the music out there in the public domain too.  The main theme has been the ring tone on my mobile since the early days of the project.

I guess as a community we just need to keep bumping this topic every few months to add encouragement/pressure to the project.

It would be good to get the music out there in the public domain too.  The main theme has been the ring tone on my mobile since the early days of the project.

I guess as a community we just need to keep bumping this topic every few months to add encouragement/pressure to the project.
That was the idea ;) I like the project details. Looks sexy and fun. Everyone does get busy in life though.

Nick May (the composer) may do with the music as he pleases, he owns all rights to it.

For the time being, here is a zip of all tracks he composed so far: Download (not released under CC, just for your listening pleasure)

I would like to reserve the right of using them in Wandor first (before anybody else in another game), but I will talk to Nick about his thoughts on the matter.

Btw, damn you guys, listening to the music makes me want to work on the project even more, the music is so fucking awesome.

Back