virtualdub divx 4.12 AND 5.x

zoink

Still Fresh
hey dudes.. i'm a very happy gp32 anime viewer, but have recently run into this problem:

some of the newer series are encoded in divx 5 and up; as we all know GPCinema uses 4.12. so what happens is: when i open the file in virtualdub, it gives the error that i don't have the correct decompressor. first remedy: install divx 5. then i can open the file, but it overwrites 4.12 so this is no longer an option in virtualdub's compression list.

i found some file on Entware called DivX4_12.exe which apparently had something to do with "co-using divx 4.12 and 5.0" but it just seems to overwrite the 5.0 codec installed.

i have successfully encoded in xvid from divx 5.0, but i guess i'm used to divx 4.12, and divx definitely takes less time to encode an anime episode than xvid.

any tips?

cheers,
zoink.

you can use the co-op file from entware...but it was a long time ago i installed it and i remember it took a bit of fiddleing to get it to read both 4.12 and 5.05....
you can encode to xvid..just change the fourcc code from xvid to divx in the advance options

While on the topic of virtualdub. Mine has suddenly started to not encode audio. Im using full processing mode and have setting described in guides. Iv been encoding vids for a while so have i ticked/unticked a box or sumthing?

Cool, thanks for the tips. shotaway, your suggestion worked of using the divx fourcc in xvid. Brought the encoding time back down to normal. Thanks again.

Upon further research, I tried a brute force approach and installed the Ace Codec Pack, Pro version from

http://www.recupsoft.com/down/out.php?id=526

Now the compression section of my VirtualDub has both divx 5.05 and 4.12. Works fine.

Cheers,
zoink.

Back