Divx 5 and Divx 4.12

Cpt_Kirks

Since I use Divx 5.x for my video files, using Divx 4.12 for MoviePark with VirtualDub is a pain.

I have been simply re-installing the 5.02 and 4.12 codes as needed (takes about a minute). However, if a file is encoded with 5.x and you want to convert it to 4.12, problems arise.

VirtualDub has to have 5.x to read the original file and 4.12 to convert it, but you can't (as far as I can tell) have both installed at the same time. They both install as "divx.dll". Renaming one doesn't work, VirtualDub must look for "divx.dll".

So far, I have had to resort to converting the file from 5.x to a third format (like Xvid), then back to 4.12.

Has anybody else come up with a better method?

there is different types of divx now?

sorry, i dont know a helluva lot about it, i usually avoid avis and divx because i have ehard they are a hassle and you need loads of software to run them, but as im going to get a gp32 i might as well learn a bit about it.

so whats so differrent about divx?
if you have a cerrtian player, then cant you use certian divx files on it?

cheers

sorry again for being such a dumbass
;)

--The irony! - I was just playing around with dix4.12 and 5 last nite - fiddling with the movies

-I think your correct with that you can only have divx 5 or 4.12 installed as its the same filename--

SO what is the real difference between 5 and 4.12 - is it worth just keeping 4.12 on your pc.

But this sounds like a pain - but unless any comes up with a patch or some sort of plugin for virtual dub to maybe detect divx 4.12 under a different filename(eg, div412.dll) then I'll think you'll be stuffed.

Like about any software, there are new versions of divx that come out from time to time. The new versions are backward compatable, but the old ones can't (obviously) be forward compatable.

Divx is continually improving. Version 5 is better than version 4.

Also, I have been encoding files with version 5 for a while, so I HAVE to have it installed to play them.

(I already tried divx412.dll, BTW).

The ultimate solution is for MoviePark to be improved to use multiple codecs.

I know that Divx 5.X will not work on your moviepark. You need to use 4.12 to properly convert the DIVX file to use on your moviepark. Even though you say the newer versions are backward compatible ...I disagree with that assumption (as far as the GP32 goes) You need only the 4.12 codec for the compression and conversion. If you try to use 5.X or the new 6.x coming out it won't work at all. 4.12 is the general codec that most people gobally use, thats why Moviepark uses 4.12. Although Moviepark should be more compatible with mulitple codecs.

First try installing the bundle pack of codecs from Entware. Install them and see what happens...you should be able to use both the 5.X and the 4.12 codecs without any bugs. BUT if you can't ...you need to remove 5.X...or make sure VirtualDub only reads the 4.12 codec. I hope this helps.....any other questions please post it. I am quite knowledgable about video conversion and production. Divx-Digest.com also is very helpful. So is VCDhelp.com GoodLuck :ph34r:

OK, I just solved it.

Make sure you have divx low motion and fast motion installed.
Install divx 4.12.
Go into windows/system.
Rename divx.dll (divx412.dll is fine).
Install divx 5.x.
Go back into windows/system.
Rename divx412.dll (or whatever you named it) to divxc32.dll or divxc32f.dll.

You will loose either fast or low motion, whichever you just renamed over.

I just re-encoded a divx 5.03 clip to divx 4.12 and checked it on my GP32.

(You could probably just rename the dll to the low or fast motion name, without fast or low motion installed)

There is no reason you can't have all the DiVX codecs at once. Internally, the codecs are referenced by a four-letter code called FOURCC. The FOURCC for DiVX 4.12 is "divf", compared to "divx" for 5.0.x (div3 and div4 for low & high motion DiVX3.11a). A codec pack such as the Nimo codec pack (google for it) will do the dirty work of installing all of them alongside each other.

--jo "directhex" shields

Back