Divx 4.12 And 5 Co-existing

fade

Website
Visit site
I use DivX 5 quite a bit for encoding various movie files on my pc. I installed DivX 4.12 to allow me to also encode files for my GP32. However i've noticed when i install the 4.12 codec that my Divx 5 codec then seems to vanish from my system. How can you keep both codecs on your pc at the same time?

Also, i know that you can have DivX 5 and the GP32 compatible Xvid codec installed at the same time without a prob, but i'd really like to encode for the GP32 using DivX 4.12, i find the sound seems a little less fuzzy with DivX :)

I don't keep both codecs on. When I needed to encode a divx 5 move to the Gp, I encoded it in Xvid. So you could try uninstalling and re-installing codecs whenever you need to, but somewhere I saw a registry hack about it.

Yeah i came across that, but it was referring to altering some keys in the registry that didn't seem to exist when i checked. Has anyone successfully done this?

I don't know of any way to edit the registry, however you can have the Xvid codec encode in Divx 4.12 which is what I use for my movies. ;)

Grab a codec pack - Nimo is what I used to use, but tbh that's a little out of date these days. The Kazaa one does the trick though. It should have both codecs, and the one modified to coexist with the other.

Or use X-vid, but if you know DivX already and cbf to fiddle with a load of new options, then that might not be ideal...

I did it some time ago, it's not that hard..

You need to install first the divx 4 codec, then rename divx.dll to something like divx4.dll.

You can now install Divx 5 safely.

After that, you need to add a new chain in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 named "vidc.div4" with value "divx4.dll".

The key name may change with others version of windows (I'm using Windows 2000)

That's it I think, I don't remember doing anything else to have it working..

Zap posted on Oct 25 2004 at 10:53 AM said:
I did it some time ago, it's not that hard..

You need to install first the divx 4 codec, then rename divx.dll to something like divx4.dll.

You can now install Divx 5 safely.

After that, you need to add a new chain in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 named "vidc.div4" with value "divx4.dll".

The key name may change with others version of windows (I'm using Windows 2000)

That's it I think, I don't remember doing anything else to have it working..

works perfect, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back