Video game based movies

Okay not the DOOM movie, I actually signed a pledge never to watch that...

Some video game based/inspired films seem to be decent.  I like the Resident Evil ones.  I seem to recall the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter ones being enjoyable enough.  I think there have been others that were ok.  

I would love a new (or should that be New) Super Mario Bros film, and I thought there were rumors of a Metroid one being considered at some point.

Does anyone know if movie and television based video games have improved in the last decade or two?  I may not see your replies for a bit since I now want to go play my Xena and Star Trek ones I have in the other room.

wow i know iam out of the loop on new movies and stuff but dam never heard of any of these actors guess thats what happens when you stop watching movies made after 2005 do hope its good tho always loved the warcraft storie line

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like a Starcraft one, but animated using the same tech/models they use in the SC2 cutscenes :)

Still, nothing will ever beat Street Fighter! (chuckle)

The first DeadSpace (animated) movie was prettry faithful to the game series.

Doom wasn't absolutely awful...

Mortal Kombat 1 was enjoyable for teenage me back then,

I can't get myself to talk about Mortal Kombat 2 or the series with Kritanna Loken and those other bad actors...

Street Fighter was so trashy that it was at least fun to make fun of,

Doom screwed up the whole theme with biohazard instead of demons. Demons in space would have been something new in big movies.

Dungeons & Dragons and Bloodrayne were just the typical Uwe Boll trash, has anyone watched Postal, Far Cry and Alone in the Dark?

Super Mario Brothers was the movie Bob Hoskins never wanted to talk about and was ashamed of for good reasons.

I can remember the Double Dragon movie to be total trash too, just like Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy (pretty for the time and... completely hollow and uninteresting), Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Dead or Alive.

I haven't seen Hitman, Max Payne and Prince of Persia - probably trash too.

Why do movie adaptations of video games always have to be so bad?

I don't think it's a good idea to make the Warcraft movie with real actors.

The CGI movies from Blizzard always were out of this world and they should just let the same people make the whole movie,

think about the Warcraft 3 (+ Frozen Throne) cutscenes or the ones from Diablo 2, those are already split up movies that would be really awesome with more scenes in between.

BTW, does anyone know what has become of the Diablo movie? The rights were sold years ago but nobody seemed to have touched the concept yet.

From what I gathered, Warcraft will be about the storyline of Warcraft 1 with more sympathy for the orcs.

By the way, Assassin's Creed is coming too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094766/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ugh... they should just stop... The actual games are the better format for telling these stories. There are very few examples of where a video game to movie transition has been completed sucessfully.

It's kind of the inverse of the bad movie to games cash-ins from LJN back in the day.

Street Fighter: Assassins Fist honestly wasn't that bad of a video game movie. It stayed very true to the "lore" of the street fighter universe, it wasn't some hollywood joke movie about a video game.

anyone ever see rampage  watched it awail back here they even made 2nd one was a pretty good flick still have yet to look up the game it's based on

But how do any of these compare to the wonderful film "Super Mario Bros."?
I watched that movie in cinema back then when I was a kid, I found it not that bad...back then. :D I know that story with Bob Hoskins and he may be right. The movie was pure trash and not worth to watch twice. But at least it had some interesting references to the games. Actualy, everythign was there: Princess Daisy, Koopa and his Troopers, Goombas, high jumps, even Yoshi and mushrooms, bo-ombs etc... I've seen game based movies with less references. Oh, and Roxette made the soundtrack!  :wub:

Overall, there are not much good Videogame Movies, first Street Fighter Movie was also trash but much better than this horrible Chun Li flick. Dead or Alive was somehow watchable, however, Kasumi wore long trousers  in that film and no skirt, these bastards!!! :angry:   First Mortal Kombat  Movie was OK, Tomb Raider ^+2 was actualy good, Prince of Persia at least entertaining and Silent Hill maybe the best Videogame Movie yet. Resident Evil is also watchable but I never found any of the movies really good. They competely forgot the puzzle part and the suspense.

I actualy found the first Final Fantasy movie bad, I never was into that franchise so I don't know all the references but I still think the movie has nothing to do with any of the games. Why it's called Final Fantasy then? Advent Children was much better and closer to the games, but still confusing.

My personal Live Action Video game fav:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8ajGbl11q-Y?feature=oembed

:D

Actua

Mortal Kombat 1 was enjoyable for teenage me back then,

I can't get myself to talk about Mortal Kombat 2 or the series with Kritanna Loken and those other bad actors...

Street Fighter was so trashy that it was at least fun to make fun of,

Doom screwed up the whole theme with biohazard instead of demons. Demons in space would have been something new in big movies.

Dungeons & Dragons and Bloodrayne were just the typical Uwe Boll trash, has anyone watched Postal, Far Cry and Alone in the Dark?

Super Mario Brothers was the movie Bob Hoskins never wanted to talk about and was ashamed of for good reasons.

I can remember the Double Dragon movie to be total trash too, just like Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy (pretty for the time and... completely hollow and uninteresting), Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Dead or Alive.

I haven't seen Hitman, Max Payne and Prince of Persia - probably trash too.

Hitman is decent, great fight scenes. Prince of persia is genuinely great. Smart and charming.Not overly videogamey and yet true to the mythos. This is because Jordan Mechner himself wrote the script. As videogame movies go this is the best.

Ive heard the silent hill movie is ok too. Alone in the dark not so much.

Why do movie adaptations of video games always have to be so bad?

I don't think it's a good idea to make the Warcraft movie with real actors.

The CGI movies from Blizzard always were out of this world and they should just let the same people make the whole movie,

think about the Warcraft 3 (+ Frozen Throne) cutscenes or the ones from Diablo 2, those are already split up movies that would be really awesome with more scenes in between.

BTW, does anyone know what has become of the Diablo movie? The rights were sold years ago but nobody seemed to have touched the concept yet.

From what I gathered, Warcraft will be about the storyline of Warcraft 1 with more sympathy for the orcs.

By the way, Assassin's Creed is coming too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094766/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
The prince of persia movie is the best videogame movie yet.
Its well worth seeing and Jordan mechner wrote the script.

I would love a new (or should that be New) Super Mario Bros film
The old one has a sequel in comic form that's not too bad:http://smbthecomic.com/comic/chapter-1-page-1/
OH HEY! They finally got a decent layout! I had been following the news about it for a while and then when it finally hit I just couldn't read it because of the awful wordpress news spread they were using, a right pain in the butt. Now that they've finally got some proper navigation going on I'll be sure to keep up on it.
How about the rumor of Netflix bringing a live action Legend of Zelda series? Personally I don't think it'll work, there's too much variety in the Zelda series: no matter what they do there'll be massive complaints that it either isn't "zelda enough" or it's "not original enough", know what I mean?

I would love to see a Metroid movie though, that's something that could be done beautifully with the right directory.

How about the rumor of Netflix bringing a live action Legend of Zelda series? Personally I don't think it'll work, there's too much variety in the Zelda series: no matter what they do there'll be massive complaints that it either isn't "zelda enough" or it's "not original enough", know what I mean? I would love to see a Metroid movie though, that's something that could be done beautifully with the right directory.
 godamnit you're not joking. please don't let this become a thing, as there is little chance of it ever becoming something worth seeing with both eyes

Back