Vba2x-r Updated Again

version q4 with selector menu:here
you can have rom in .gba, .GBA, .zip or .ZIP but the name withou space in roms directory

Its stretched in full screen. thats why it looks so bad. gba is 240x160. if we turn the gp2x sideways, we could have 2 gba running at the same time.

Is/will there be an option to play it at 1:1 too? I have not tried this yet as it isn't all that playable with sound currently from what everyone has reported. Good work though.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can have rom in .gba, .GBA, .zip or .ZIP but the name withou space in roms directory

The new version works fine, gj :D Now all you need to do is make an English version and it'll be perfect :p One question though, does the selector include an option menu, if so how do you access it? If not I highly recommend implimenting one. Thanks and keep up the good work ^_^ (Im expecting an English version soon btw ;) )

I just tried 4 games:

Final Fight One: Worked fine, slow.
Defender of the Crown: Worked fine
Dungeons And Dragons Eye of the Beholder: Worked fine, quite playable. Graphic glitch on character screens.
International Karate: Worked fine, playable speed

It's looking really promising. If you could play games fullspeed at FS=2 (ie. 20FPS) with sound then I would be highly impressed. Is this likely?

There was an emulator created for the Zodiac called Firestorm which was also showing a fair bit of promise. One of the last updates they did was an ASM core for the CPU. Even with this they were claiming about 60% speed (but I'm not sure what this really means as you need to factor frameskip into it).

Great stuff!

How much faster do you think this can go? How does the PSP version get "fullspeed"?
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=32899&st=0 - This looks most promising. It has a dynamic recompiler and FRANXIS may work on it.
The main changes as compared to the original vba:
1) removed filter code. (The ones that make the screen looks smooth when you scale up on a pc)
2) asm-core.(these are only for a few opcodes and not actually better except that in certain cases allows the compiler to optimize better. (I tried asm volatile instead of volatile and there was no noticeable speed improvement over the c_core)
I dont know if I can do much more. Right now the main bottleneck seems to be the gfx code (rendering sprites etc) you can see the slowdown whenever there is lots of activity on screen. I looked at the code from some vba based emulators from PSP but except for gui things there did not seem to be much changes over the original vba. I guess the PSP cpu is just better. There is quite a bit of multiplication in gfx. I read somewhere that arm takes about 1000 cycles for a 32 bit multiplication is this true?

In q.4 the same freezing problem still exists for many games. s mentioned before: Zelda Minish Cap (just a white screen), Super Mario Advance 3 (yoshis Island), Super Mario Advance (Mario 2), Sega Rally will let you choose a car then freeze, Ninja Five-0 only gives a white screen on start.
Something must be still broken, as all these games did work in VBA2XE version M.
Just a suggestion, maybe you can go back to that version and make the asm changes to that version?

yes the asm versions of the cpu opcodes seems to very very buggy so it'd be better to go back to the C code for now.

The new version works fine, gj :D Now all you need to do is make an English version and it'll be perfect :p One question though, does the selector include an option menu, if so how do you access it? If not I highly recommend implimenting one. Thanks and keep up the good work ^_^ (Im expecting an English version soon btw ;) )
i don't think vba2x support command line parameters then i can't add more fonction. You can overclock your gp2x using Vol+/- in Selector screen (printed above the screen).

Heyy pcklee123, very well done!
I'm using vba also for gb and gbc, which run also very well (gbc runs OK at 200Mhz with sound).
But a few comments, the button aren't always reacting, sometimes when I wanna walk, nothing happens.
Furthermore, when I set my CPU speed to 275Mhz, and I run Zelda Dx, the game runs way too fast (it's like Link has ADHD or something). Probably other gb/gbc games will have the same problem, but not yet tested (downloaded vba just minutes ago).
Super Mario Advanced 2 (SMW) runs, but very slow @ 275Mhz
SMA1 freezes at first screen @ 275Mhz
SMA3 (SMW2) freezes at nintendo splash screen @ 275Mhz
Mario Kart SS gives strange graphic output @ 275Mhz
(same problems @ 266 Mhz)

And last comment, is it possible to adjust sound? Because the volume is very loud at the moment...
And when I try to reduce the sound, it just quits... (It's not important, but would be nice)

But even with the comments I mentioned above, it's a hell of a port already!! Thanks alot for making it work!

I want to use my nintendo ds for emulating all the nintendo stuff. But I can't figure out what I need.

Oh btw I tried Final Fantasy tactics advance and it ran like molasses and froze up. Maybe I am doing something wrong though

Ok, tonight i was bored so i decided to take a look at vba2x-r and so far I've fixed/changed a few things which make it a little better to use, such as you can now save and load states and i fixed the annoying exit vba2x crash

Back