Various More Sneaks

monkeyo2

Website
josephmaynard.co.uk
New renders from EvilDragon:

http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php

I was getting sick of waiting for someone else to post this!

Edit: It may have been noticed already, but I just realised that the space bar takes up two contacts on the board, does this mean it could potentially be used like a volume control style rocker, e.g. making your brush bigger or smaller in GIMP?

Probably not, that would make it rather difficult to use as a space bar.
However, you do have a D-Pad there, and depending on how the system reads input from the game controls, you might be able to map that to brush size changes in various programs, or to media controls.

Edit: I like how the latest picture shows the Pandora loading its OS and saying, "Please Wait.."

I will, Pandora.

monkeyo2 said:
Edit: It may have been noticed already, but I just realised that the space bar takes up two contacts on the board, does this mean it could potentially be used like a volume control style rocker, e.g. making your brush bigger or smaller in GIMP?
We tried this on rev2 and it was agreed by all that it was a bad idea. If the rubber was stiff enough to make both buttons press (ie. if you press in the middle), then you get two events back in Linux and it was agreed that would be confusing as you wouldn't know if the space bar was pressed twice quickly or if you had to throw one event away. It was changed back to one input for rev3.

BTW, I just got some production analog nubs today so I'm soldering them onto a PCB for use in this FDM case. I had the whole thing together last night but I don't think any games support the internal controls because everyone has been using USB gamepads and keyboards. If I can get a new build that works, I will definitely make a video. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The plain girl has had her makeover and is ready for the prom... Pandora used to look functional, now it looks downright sexy.

So are the drivers for the internal controls actually working yet? Like the keyboard?

Yes, the drivers for all input devices are in the kernel. Notaz made a test app that bring up an onscreen keyboard and visual representation of all gaming controls and the nubs. I can easily demo that, but it's a bit boring compared to a game or something.

MWeston said:
Yes, the drivers for all input devices are in the kernel. Notaz made a test app that bring up an onscreen keyboard and visual representation of all gaming controls and the nubs. I can easily demo that, but it's a bit boring compared to a game or something.
When you make the video, you should start with the boring test app to show it functioning at a basic level, then whip out a game and start playing it. :D

I like the button layout in the vid ;) Hope that wasn't just a mistake when putting the buttons in :p

MWeston: IIRC we discussed that power and charge LEDs will be merged (dual- or combo- led or how call it in English). So by PWM can we can get color fadeing from red through yellow to green. Is it still in play, or they are separated as on ED's renders?

Another LED question - any way the Power LED could be made larger? I think it's important enough that it should be more visible than one small rectangle in the right LED strip. Maybe make it 2 or 3 "spaces" wide? (If possible, of course.)

MWeston said:
monkeyo2 said:
We tried this on rev2 and it was agreed by all that it was a bad idea. If the rubber was stiff enough to make both buttons press (ie. if you press in the middle), then you get two events back in Linux and it was agreed that would be confusing as you wouldn't know if the space bar was pressed twice quickly or if you had to throw one event away. It was changed back to one input for rev3.
Thanks for the clarification (wow a reply from MWeston, I feel all star struck now!).

I guess we’ll be limited to just using the D-pad, the 2 analogue sticks, the shoulder buttons, the game buttons and all the other buttons on the keyboard for that type of thing! :lol:

Javacat said:
I like the button layout in the vid ;) Hope that wasn't just a mistake when putting the buttons in :p
+1

At first I didn't care either way but it would be cool to have the YX/BA layout for the SNES/NES emulators. I think this small detail would make a lot of Nintendo fans happier.

MWeston said:
monkeyo2 said:

BTW, I just got some production analog nubs today so I'm soldering them onto a PCB for use in this FDM case. I had the whole thing together last night but I don't think any games support the internal controls because everyone has been using USB gamepads and keyboards. If I can get a new build that works, I will definitely make a video. :)

so i take it the sticks shown in video arnt the real ones

because that was my no1 concern when i first saw the video

Back