Valve working on the P2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
23269_329471516993_2213_n.jpg

So why was this thread brought back from the dead? 

Steam is closed source and only works on an x86 processor and all the software distributed on steam also requires x86..

Cortex-M series processors are being used for the Steam controller and some small components of the Steambox (LEDs behind the big button). Valve probably never planned anything beyond that very basic Android app concerning software on ARM - just peripheral devices.

So why was this thread brought back from the dead? 

Steam is closed source and only works on an x86 processor and all the software distributed on steam also requires x86..
Not quite true.  Several of the 'old' games available through Steam on Linux (and even Windows) have DosBox included in the package.  Launching the game launches DosBox - and the game runs inside DosBox.

All of those games would work to some extent on the Pandora and/or Pyra -AFTER- migrating the post-installed data from an X86 computer and running them in the DosBox on the ARM system.

They just had a sale on DukeNukem 3d...  runs in DosBox.

Not quite true. Several of the 'old' games available through Steam on Linux (and even Windows) have DosBox included in the package. Launching the game launches DosBox - and the game runs inside DosBox.
Sure, yet it still runs the X86 version of DosBox when launched from Steam.. Many games can work if you rip out the raw resources and plop it into the Pandora/Pyra version.. which I wasn't talking about..

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamOS is opensource, based on Debian. I can't immediatley see a reason why the streaming portion at least (if not the whole thing if that's your bag) could be ported to the Pyra. Obviously you're not playing these games natively but if I can lay in bed and play whatever over the network, that's good enough for me.

take what valve did with dota and apply it to this. i HIGHLY doubt valve will work on anything for the pandora without making money somehow. they took something completely free, made it look prettier and then charged for it for quite sometime before it was free again.

I fear this thread.

It get's revived every year.

It's an undead Zombie thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back