Valve working on the P2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Look at job offers at Valve...http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

Seems that the company are searching for HW/SW/firmware engineers with ARM processor programming, including ARM7, ARM9, Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M3, knowledge.

Maybe we need to offer the partnership to develop the Pandora 2....what do you think about it ?

Valve and opensource? No way. If they are working on some arm device it will be locked down as a ps vita for sure...

Steam on the Pandora 2 would be nice: this means some of the Steam Games would be work on the Pandora2, like Terraria, etc..

But Valve isnt opensource, so i think if there arend coming to Pandora2 it would be better

Valve has shown some interest in doing their own console, "if they have to." But who knows what this is for. Could be any sort of embedded application, could be a totally one-off sort of thing.

I wonder if anyone from these boards is going to apply now that you brought it to their attention, seems like a nice position.

ive heard rumors from unreliable sources that this would be a joint venture between valve and apple. take that for what it is, a load of spewed crap coming from the throats of underground-tunnel trolls though

It just looks like they want to start porting their games/engines to ARM and need them optimised.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just looks like they want to start porting their games/engines to ARM and need them optimised.

I don't think so, because they're also hiring electrical and mechanical engineers. And they want firmware developers, not just game programmers who have experience with ARM. Considering the job requirements, which includes working with embedded processors (Cortex-M0/M3), I/O peripherals, and DSP, it's clear that this is embedded programming and not game programming.

Actually, the job description makes it pretty clear it's not for games or a game console but peripheral gaming hardware like controllers. Especially the part about "interacting with their games" and "various input and output devices."

since the list of processors is limited to pretty slow embedded ones I bet this isn't even a game system at all but is for something like a controller or other sort of gaming peripheral.

like a wiiU competitor?

I started this topic to highlight the need to find a way to think and produce the new Pandora in order to have a powerful and economic machine at the same time ...

and one way might be to have a partner that can support the 'financial commitment ...

and a possible option in return is that they can sell their software products on our console.

Only problem is that you'd be hard put to find a company with the rights to lots of good games, willing to sell its stuff on an open system with a small customer base.

You'd need to find an already open-friendly company...

... maybe the humble-bundle people?

But if you manage to mantain a fair price (let's say 200Eur) that customer base will be not so small...i think

I don't think so. There are hundreds if not thousands of companies that make mobile devices and have the resources to make something like Pandora, and can supply enough capital to produce big volume. Pandora's concept isn't really disruptive technology that OPT happens to be first to think up and capitalize on then protect w/patents.. it's merely catering to a niche that is too small for most others to want to cater to.

When tech sites post about Pandora look at the comments, most of them aren't along the lines of "wow, this looks really nice, if only it were cheaper I'd buy it", but "what's the point" or "it looks ugly".. the comparison to Homer Simpson's old car design is popular, that should give you an idea of how people view this.

When tech sites post about Pandora look at the comments, most of them aren't along the lines of "wow, this looks really nice, if only it were cheaper I'd buy it", but "what's the point" or "it looks ugly"..
I know some friends and other people on italian forum who say to me "wow, this looks really nice, if only it were cheaper I'd buy it"....

I'm sure that if OP manage to sell a Pandora 2 with enhanced tech spec. at resonable price will sell 50.000 unit. Not so small user base...i think

I know some friends and other people on italian forum who say to me "wow, this looks really nice, if only it were cheaper I'd buy it"....
I'm sure that if OP manage to sell a Pandora 2 with enhanced tech spec. at resonable price will sell 50.000 unit. Not so small user base...i think

I too believe there's a bigger market than the one OPT is currently addressing, just not nearly on the scale you're thinking. 50,000 units really is still too low to convince corporations to invest millions in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back