Using pandora as a regular Ubuntu computer.

awcmon

Still Fresh
Is it a total fantasy that I could get a pandora, load the mythical ARM edition of ubuntu and use it as a tiny computer?

Is it a total fantasy that I could get a pandora, load the mythical ARM edition of ubuntu and use it as a tiny computer?
No, you can. :D ( At least the hardware can easily handle it. I would prefer having LXDE/XFCE over Gnome/KDE though, for the sake of free memory. So, you better try Lubuntu/Xubuntu. But even Gnome shouldn't be a real problem. PS3, which has even less available to linux RAM - 221 in my case, will run it at good enough speed. )

I would love to have Yellow Dog Linux, but it is only for POWER arch. However I will probably go with Ubuntu or Gentoo.

It's not a "total fantasy." The type of usage you describe is the reason most of us have ordered a Pandora-- the ability to play games with it but also the total customization of a Linux distro running underneath.

It's not Ubuntu, but the Pandora runs a heavily customized form of Ångström Linux, a full-featured operating system. Honestly, I found the Pandora while looking for a game system. Almost a year later however I am more looking forward to the ultra-portable mini-computing experience and the touch-screen than the gaming and emulation (hardly have time for games anymore).

The Pandora is not your average Acme smartphone, PDA, handheld, or netbook. As a matter of fact, the Pandora isn't your average anything. Indeed, the closest thing to a Pandora I've found on the market is something they quit making in the 1990s, and it didn't even have game controls.

tl;dr: Even though it's not exactly as you describe it, it sounds like the Pandora is for you. Just be prepared to wait.

The only real advantage you'll get with Ubuntu is the repositories, by far Ubuntu has the largest selection of software of the Linux distros when you add in PPAs. Gentoo is second, maybe has as much as Ubuntu they don't have Handbrake, I always have to compile it by hand.

Consider though that the repositories are biggest for x86, not ARM. If you can get what you need from the Pandora store and the Ångström repositories I would stick to the default. It would actually be easier to use what ever GUI you want with the default install. Were you interested in Unity or just Ubuntu?

If Gentoo runs well on it I might use it, but it won't be because it has more than Ångström, I just like Gentoo.

Consider though that the repositories are biggest for x86, not ARM.

If Gentoo runs well on it I might use it, but it won't be because it has more than Ångström, I just like Gentoo.
Nope. Repositories contain practically equal number of packages for each arch. Even an obsolete PowerPC has got an amount of debs which is very close to that of i386, amd64. The difference is like about 100 - 1000 packages for each 30000 or so packages for each arch. ( Went to Launchpad/Ubuntu ) And those few "exclusive" Intel/AMD packs are worthless anyway. For Ubuntu 11.04: powerpc - 32725, armel - 32310, amd64 - 33140, i386 - 33220. ( https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty ) The difference is negligible.

And Gento, Ubuntu, Debian, etc can all run on Pandora, as long as they have armel repo. You just need to tweak them a little bit. If you are real linux lover, like me, you will enjoy playing with "non-default" linux. B)

EDIT: Maybe I am crazy, but I want to build a custom linux, that would be like Yellow Dog Linux on ARM. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You did, however, forget that packages of stuff that doesn't run are not simply taken out of the repositories, especially since Ubuntu ARM is still in development phase. There's a lot of stuff that might be in the repos but still doesn't work, e.g. because of OpenGL requirements.

You did, however, forget that packages of stuff that doesn't run are not simply taken out of the repositories, especially since Ubuntu ARM is still in development phase. There's a lot of stuff that might be in the repos but still doesn't work, e.g. because of OpenGL requirements.
But the main idea is correct. OpenGL is not as related to ARM core as it is related to PowerVR. We are talking about arches here.

And there is a funny thing. Yes, ARM is in development phase. But PowerPC ... Are there any people who still use their old G3, G4, G5 ? Because the arch is completely dead, yet many linux devs support it and it has loads of packages. I know that any packages I tried were working.

Alastor, you might be correct but last time I check ARM repositories for any distro did not come anywhere close to their x86 counterparts. I don't differentiate between 32 bit and 64 bit on x86, so I don't know about that, but ARM is lacking in support, or at least last time I checked.

I see your point, if you're an experienced Linux user then use whatever you want, but for most users the default is the best bet. I would love to run Gentoo but I just don't have the time to work on it like I used to, I've been using Ubuntu on my PCs for quite some time because of this.

But the main idea is correct. OpenGL is not as related to ARM core as it is related to PowerVR. We are talking about arches here.
Okay, bad example... Still, the repository consists to a large part out of totally untested packages that simply succeeded in being built, which means they may as well don't work at all.

Unless you want to use it on a train etc, I'd always recommend a more modern (larger RAM, probably also faster CPU) OMAP or SnapDragon based devboard.

It's not only cheaper but usually also smaller. It's also easier to get them and you usually get a pixel-perfect digital video out which you don't have on the Pandora.

Hence those boards are better for what most call normal "computer" use.

Don't know about Ubuntu, but I use my Pandora as a regular Gentoo computer. I compile all packages right on Pandora. I can update/patch/modify everything as I do it on my Notebook. I truly don't sacrifice capabilities.

For the common good of the pandora community!

please run Angstrom linux from an SD card, any app that runs well from opkg can be PNDed very easily. please do so.

Otherwise try to break it and file a bug report.

Should be lots of fun for every linux geek and it can only improve the official NAND version :)

Wish I could Run Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 with the unity interface. would be great to use with the touch screen with.

The Pandora IS a regular computer aside form having joysticks, etc and an ARM processor. The only thing you can't do on the Pandora is run Windows applications - WINE won't help at all.

But on another note I wonder if Winelib will work with VisualBoyAdvance for Windows, built from source for ARM? VBAM for Win is much better maintained than gvbam or something and you also get gameshark! When I have less homework i'll have a look. IF there's any x86 JIT or inline x86 assembly we're screwed there.

EDIT: No real reason why you can't use Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 - might be a little slow tho, and really games aren't gonna have much room to work with. But it'll work by itself with only itself ;) .

Unless you want to use it on a train etc, I'd always recommend a more modern (larger RAM, probably also faster CPU) OMAP or SnapDragon based devboard.

Where can you get a Snapdragon based dev board? Serious question.

Wish I could Run Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 with the unity interface. would be great to use with the touch screen with.
I have yet to try unity, I don't have a small enough device but am always meaning to try it on a PC just to see how it works. You don't need Ubuntu to have the Unity interface though, I'm pretty sure if it is cool enough someone will get it running on the Ångström so it can be run on the Pandora.

i tried unity, its pretty good, although feels rather pointless if you don't have a touchscreen or a screen bigger than 10 inches.

It's not a "total fantasy." The type of usage you describe is the reason most of us have ordered a Pandora-- the ability to play games with it but also the total customization of a Linux distro running underneath.

It's not Ubuntu, but the Pandora runs a heavily customized form of Ångström Linux, a full-featured operating system. Honestly, I found the Pandora while looking for a game system. Almost a year later however I am more looking forward to the ultra-portable mini-computing experience and the touch-screen than the gaming and emulation (hardly have time for games anymore).

The Pandora is not your average Acme smartphone, PDA, handheld, or netbook. As a matter of fact, the Pandora isn't your average anything. Indeed, the closest thing to a Pandora I've found on the market is something they quit making in the 1990s, and it didn't even have game controls.

tl;dr: Even though it's not exactly as you describe it, it sounds like the Pandora is for you. Just be prepared to wait.

Which device from the 1990's are you referring to?

Back