Setting Up Linux On My Old Computer

I'll try puppy linux tonight and see if that has no problems, unless it is a live disc iso. ;)

Puppy is a Live CD. You'll either need to make a boot floppy for something or somehow get into your BIOS. It has to be possible, and it's required if you want to boot from CD, it seems.

There's one more thing that I thought of that I have done in the past and that is to burn the CD wrong. When you download an .iso image you need to burn an CD of the image as opposed to burning a CD with the image on it. If your computer is configure to boot from the CD already and all it find on the CD is ubuntu-xxx.iso then it's not going to boot it.
Do you hear the CD drive spin up (and see the read light flash) before windows starts booting because that would be an indication of it trying to boot from the CD and failing.

Did you manage to get into the bios yet?

charlieb

charlieb said:
There's one more thing that I thought of that I have done in the past and that is to burn the CD wrong. When you download an .iso image you need to burn an CD of the image as opposed to burning a CD with the image on it. If your computer is configure to boot from the CD already and all it find on the CD is ubuntu-xxx.iso then it's not going to boot it.
Do you hear the CD drive spin up (and see the read light flash) before windows starts booting because that would be an indication of it trying to boot from the CD and failing.

Did you manage to get into the bios yet?

charlieb
good info. when vista beta's and rc's came out ALOT of people had trouble with this AND Data corruption on the cd's when recorded at fastest speed. Try to burn at lowest speed possible to reduce cd errors

Last edited by a moderator:
You can run an md5sum check on the CD against an md5sum on the Ubuntu website. I can't be bothered to find out how to do it though :p

I found out that puppy linux was a live cd the hard way. I also haven't managed to get into the bios either. Last night I even tried the Ubuntu installer program (Wubi ?). The program downloaded everything that was needed for it to install Ubuntu and said that I had to reboot the computer. So...I did, and it did absolutely nothing.

The only good bit of news that I have to tell everybody is that I have set up my wireless network. That means that anybody who wants to get fragged on an online psp game, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGS Portable Ops name: HAYO
SOCOM Fireteam Bravo name: bazukage

OMG! :eek:

For some reason, when I booted up today, the computer asked me if I'd like to boot Ubuntu or Window XP. So, I booted Ubuntu. It installed and there were no glitches. Then, I started it up only to find that the computer network connection was not working. It was working fine in Windows, but Ubuntu couldn't detect it, I guess.

My question to you guys is, How would I setup a wireless adapter (not router) on Ubuntu. It is quite necessary, as there are several programs on Ubuntu that need an internet connection. :(

Thanks for the answers in advance.

BTW, this is the adapter that I have:
LINK

The best way to determine how to get your wireless adaptor to work is to open a terminal (Accessories -> Terminal) and type 'lspci'. In the output of that, look for an "Ethernet controller" entry that looks like it could be wireless (has stuff like 'wireless' or '802.11g'). Paste that line here.

I expect, though, you may have to use ndiswrapper, for which you will need the original driver CD.

Back