Using openpandora for business meeting notes

I have been using zNotes to take notes at business events.

I had to write a couple custom scrips to insert the date and some separator text.

It turns out that the app doesn't sync the written text to the text file until you close the app! However since the app runs in the taskbar it won't close unless you do it manually.

I lost a LOT of important information because of this behavior.

Has anyone found a solution to this or a better program?

Thanks,

Ethan

Catlooking writer seems to work, although it takes a few minutes to sync. I liked Znotes because it worked in a window and the script support for inserting the date and separator lines, however it just doesn't sync on its own.

Does everyone in the meeting ask you what type of device are you taking notes on?

Just curious to see what others think about the Pandora.

Catlooking writer seems to work, although it takes a few minutes to sync. I liked Znotes because it worked in a window and the script support for inserting the date and separator lines, however it just doesn't sync on its own.

Then sebt3 is right, just use gedit or some other texteditor and press save from time to time.

Then sebt3 is right, just use gedit or some other texteditor and press save from time to time.

I would but when I am at tradeshows I don't want to save manually all the time. I want the note to persistently auto-sync to the file it is associated with. I will have a quick chat, and in the middle maybe pull the pandora from my breast coat pocket and take the note quickly.

I actually really like znotes, I wonder if it would be possible to update the pnd with that feature?

Yes people do ask what the device is quite often.

One executive from NVIDIA grabbed it at GDC and just turned it over, opened the back and took out the battery. I said "aha" the battery is so big! I said "it lasts for over 8 hours", meanwhile he had rebooted the device so I lost all my notes that day up until then.

At another event some guys were really amazed at the device, however they quickly got more amazed by my mk802+ I suppose the small form factor wowed them.

I've had some people recognize it at gaming conferences, many times I'll tell them it's a mini-computer or mini linux computer.

At one meeting, a person that works for one of our competitors saw me typing some notes on that, he said "why don't you have a tablet" I told him I had a Fujitsu Stylistic 486 Tablet in 1999 and I'm over slates for now until the Nexus 10" comes out.

Later on the same guy saw me putting the pandora into a speck case and said "nice purse"

You can set Gedit to autosave every so-and-so number of minutes (it's configurable). It can also create a backup before saving (in a file which has the same name but a tilde at the end) to prevent data loss. So with both of those features turned on, other than inserting the date automatically (so you would have to type that in yourself every morning), it seems Gedit would work quite well for your use-case.

EDIT: I just looked and found that there's also a plugin (included on the Pandora) that allows you to insert the date and time by clicking an item in the Edit menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
The zNotes that I just downloaded for the desktop (same version as on the Pandora) auto saves every update I made without the need to close the application.

I wonder if it is "saving" updates as it does on the desktop, but due to the nature of Linux it is buffering the saves and doesn't actually write them to the disk until the stream is closed.

Give me a bit, I'll do some quick experiments.

Create a second note and switch to it. It flushes updates every time you change notes as well.

I used (and still ocasionally use) Emacs in conjuction with org-mode for (not only) meeting notes. Inserting dates and times (active/static) is a matter of shortcut, of course linkable to it's calendar. I guess an autosave could be configured in init file of org-mode.

Back