USB Ethernet Adapter for Pandora

rotorschnee

Still Fresh
So wifi is not really an option for me currently for the Pandora.

There is someone in our apartment complex that has an unsecured wifi network I secret connect to every now and then (and it seems the best spot is also in the loo, go figure (eeeeew)).

My thought what I could go to ye ol mac, turn on airport wifi. Then I realize that airport wifi, though wifi, is still Apple's own wifi protocol, so unless the Pandora is going to get Airport wifi protocol soon, I ain't connecting at home.

So options are, buy a new wifi router, then get a wifi adaptor for the ye old xbox, and set that up. Maybe I'll do that, maybe not.

However I do see a possible alternative: perhaps if I used a USB Ethernet adaptor, that would work instead? I could plug this into the USB port on the back, run cat 5 to the router, and have a connection that way.

So I've seen things like the Linksys USB300M USB Ethernet Adapter for example. To me, sounds like plug in play. But alas, Linux/Pandora noob here, and I don't think that's necessarily the case.

So, advice I am seeking:

1 - is using USB Ethernet adapter a pretty feasible solution

2 - if so, recommend one that the Pandora could use?

3 - and based on recommendation, what will need to be done software/drivers wise to use it?

Thanks in advance!

Apple's USB Ethernet dongle (originally intended for the MacBook Air, I think) works out-of-the-box on the Pandora. It's plug-and-play, and requires no USB 2.0 High Speed hub in-between.

I have one. It works great. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the USB compatibility list on the wiki, there are a few specific one that have been reported to work.

Generally speaking if it has Linux support in the kernel for some time, it's likely to work.

http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list

If it's supported it plug and play. You will just need to select the new wired connection in the network manager (I've tested it).

I bought this for my beagleboard and now use it for my Pandora when I want to copy something over quick or need extra bandwidth...

3-port Hub with Ethernet Adapter

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple's USB Ethernet dongle (originally intended for the MacBook Air, I think) works out-of-the-box on the Pandora. It's plug-and-play, and requires no USB 2.0 High Speed hub in-between.

I have one. It works great. :p

Just ordered this one.

I was trying to be clever, my work has an employee purchase program, so discount at apple store right? $29 dollar to $27. Wee, save $2 right? So I got to order it, and then $4 shipping and then cali tax of almost another $4... so would've been cheaper had I waited until the weekend and went to the Apple Store and bought it instead! HA! Trying to be clever... pwnd in the end.

(of course, the closest apple store is just full of ipod/ipad accessories and is pretty lame, probably would've have had it)

Anywho, I'll try it out when it gets here! Thanks for the tip!

This reminds me, I'm going to buy an Apple adapter right now. :) Even in AU they're only $29.

SSsssssoooooooo guess who is finally surfing the information super highway on his Pandora?

Last night it was 800pm and my girlfriend and I were playing the new version of You Don't Know Jack that just came out on xbox (FYI - it rules. captures the gameplay fom the 90ies flawlessly) when a knock came at the door. We totally were not expecting anyone, but lo and behold it was UPS, 8pm at night, deivering my package from Apple.

The box was bloody huge, the adaptor incredibly tiny. Regardless, plugged it in thrr back, hooked up the CAT5, and I'm golden like grahams.

Now onto phase 2 - ditch this bloody Midori broweser. Ugh, it's horrible, it doesnt even show the sign in links on the Pandora forums, and any pop up window causes it to crash. bllleeehhh

I just noticed - this is the first long compsition with the Pandora's keyboard - not too shabby on the buttons.

Good work! My new Apple adapter turned up this week too. I haven't even used it yet. I'm dying to do something really nerdy and pointless to break it in, like SSH into my router and frolic in the filesystem like it's 1999.

Back