USB to Ethernet adapter works but slooow

A2000

Hi,

I recently bought a USB to Ethernet adapter and it connects flawlessly to my Pandora. So I startet to download "The Babylon Project" from the repo (1,87 GiB) and the average speed kept constantly at 1,27 Mb/s. This seems very slow to me for an adapter which claims to be fast ethernet and connects with 100Mbps. The given throughput is what one could expect from 10Mbps.

Any ideas how I can get more speed?

A2000

I get 1.5 MB/s with my connection, which is average here in Germany. So 1,27 MB/s is still decent. Or maybe the upload speed of the repository was limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your suggestions but it's not my internet connection which is 100Mbit (and yes, that's not only theoretically but has been tested to work). But maybe it's the highest speed the repo can deliver?

I was only a little bit disappointed as 1,27 Mb/s is just the speed my wifi maxes out. Only that wifi speed isn't reliable. So USB to Ethernet isn't faster at maximum speed but wins against my flakey wifi connection with average speed.

I will try to download some big file from another server later to find out if the repo's server might be the bottleneck.

It'll be the upload speed of the repo that is limited. 

Just visit ED's house and connect locally if you want super fast speed ;)

Yes, I tried with PNDManager as it shows the throughput nicely and "The Babylon Story" was an excellent specimen.

@Wally: One day I will visit ED. Maybe when he starts to lead visitors through his then long abandoned site where it all began. Next stop will be the shiny new factory producing all the little Pandora successors for customers around the world... But I came close to his home last week (was just 200 km away).

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, problem solved.

I used Firefox to download a Linux mint iso and got 5,6MB/s maximum speed. Firefox then went unresponsive when the ram was filled (after about 228MB) but that is another story.

Conclusion: Downloading from the repo with PNDManager is limited in speed.

Thank you all for your help.

I am curious what adapter you used.  What did it require to set up?

Thanks.  Maybe I will actually get around to trying one out like I planned on doing when I initially got my Pandora.

I am curious what adapter you used.  What did it require to set up?
Sorry for the late reply, I was busy trying to mount my network shares now that the connection is fast and reliable.

I made a new entry in the wiki a few days ago. It's the last one in the list (LOGILINK UA0174A): http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list#USB_to_Ethernet_adapters. It offers a USB hub, too. Works out of the box (just requires careful reading of the wiki as I first missed the very important sentence "To enable USB Ethernet adapters on the Pandora, you may need to left-click the networking icon on the panel in Xfce, and select "Ifupdown (bnep0)".")

Back