Ethernet USB adapter

Nikojiro

Hi,

I am a former Pandora user, becoming really eager to get one of these new 1Ghz units. I've read quite a few complaints about wifi with the Pandora. My old 1st batch unit had ok wifi, though transfer rates were quite limited. I also get so-so wifi from other mobile devices so I'm not so concerned about it.

Besides using an external USB dongle as I read on the forums, has anyone tested an USB Ethernet adapter like these ones :

http://www.amazon.fr/Cle-Vers-R%C3%A9seau-Ethernet-RJ45/dp/B002PHFVXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374224869&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+ethernet

http://www.amazon.fr/K%C3%B6nig-CMP-NWUSB20-Adaptateur-vers-Ethernet/dp/B001X7XIXK/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_3_X9YK?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C0Z0M1VN8QRE1R6X9YK

I actually might use the Pandora at my office were we have only cabled network (no wifi because of possible health issues, I work in an administration). It would neat to be able to do some remote networking at work with a Pandora.

Would such a thing work? If anyone has tested and can report, I'd really appreciate.

Cheers,

Niko

LOL. The only usb to ethernet I have isn't compatible. Same with my usb keyboard, all four of my mice, all three of my usb hubs, and both of my usb gamepads. Only flash drives seem to work. I should probably start using the wiki. xD 

Same with my usb keyboard, all four of my mice, all three of my usb hubs
You are aware that the Pandora's USB port is high-speed only, yes? Keyboards, mice, and gamepads (and possibly your ethernet) are all full speed devices and require a high-speed hub to do translation. If you plug in a full-speed device it crashes the USB host and you need to do power cycle to restore it.I find it very surprising that you'd have any USB hubs that were not compatible as well. For there to be even one would mean it is doing something seriously wrong, but to get three you'd have to be the unluckiest guy ever. Maybe they're actually full-speed hubs? Or the USB host had already crashed when you tried them making you think they didn't work? Having that many devices which are "incompatible" when they should be screams of there being a problem with the Pandora rather than the devices.

Hmmm. It may be a problem with my Pandora since I also can't open files from any flash drives without powering the Pandora on with the flash drive inserted. 

EDIT: ^ I thought everyone had to do this until recently.

EDIT2: Now going to power cycle and try each hub individually. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commands such as "dmesg" and "sudo lsusb" are very helpful in debugging USB problems. lsusb (as super user) will show the devices that are plugged in whether they can be used or not: if you don't see your device then the USB host cannot physically communicate with the device at all for some reason (typically because the host has crashed and you need to restart). dmesg will tell you if there were any errors (ie, if the host crashes it'll say so, or if the device is appearing in lsusb it'll tell you if it was able to detect what the device actually is and any errors from trying to use it)

Darn. It seems to only recognize one USB device at a time. It recognizes all of the hubs and how many ports they have, but can't recognize, nor connect to anything connected to them.

I seem to only be able to connect just a hub, just a flash drive, or just a WiFi adapter.

Also, devices connected to the hub receive power for about half a second before losing it immediately.

EDIT: One of the hubs isn't labeled, but the others are self-described "Hi-Speed Certified USB 2.0" hubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you plug something into the hub, can you do a "sudo lsusb" and "dmesg" output? Maybe we can debug this.

. . . . . . Really weird results. I will record a video once I make sense of this and post a new topic in Support.

high probability that this is a very dumb question, but is the hub (or the hubs) "self" powered or is it relying on the Pandoras USB port as power source ?

so are they connected to an external power source while beeing used? If not, maybe thats the cause of the problem ?

Back