USB cable included?

Forcen

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
For me the easiest way to transfer files from my computer to the pandora would be a USB cable, sort of like the PSP. But i'm not sure how it would work on the pandora. Could you just use an USB cable to the PC, and have the memory cards show up as removable drives in XP? if so, will that USB cable be included?
All the USB cables i have come across have a smaller plug in the other end, like a mini USB. I have never seen a cable with the big plug in both ends.
I have a built in card reader on my laptop, but its slow as hell.

there are such things as male to male usb cables, but they are very expensive.

Basically a the USB-A port he's referring to is the USB Host port listed in the specs for the pandora. This is the same as the USB ports you'll have on your home computer. You'll be able to use it in much the same way, ie hooking up mice, keyboards, printers, gamepads, etc. This is the port that you might consider hooking up a USB hub to. That would allow you to hook up multiple USB devices. You may find amention of a powered USB hub, this is the same thing as a regualr excepting that it has a external power source so the devices won't pull as much power from your pandora (or computer, or laptop as the case may be).

The USB OTG port is another thing altogether. Typically a USB OTG port is made to be used such that you can plug you pandora into your computer, and have it recognized as a Mass Storage Device, and load files as you stated you wanted to. However, USB OTG ports can also be used to connect one device with and OTG port, to another, and transfer files and/or utilize services. OTG ports can also usually be utilized as Host ports also.

I could go into more detail, but I figured that was about what was requested.

So, to sum it up quickly in super simplified, common use, layman terms:

USB-A /USB Host - Port like your computer has, for plugging in devices.

USB OTG Port - Usually will be used to connect to your computer.

For any more detailed information you'll probably just want to head over to wikipedia.

Thanks for the explanation. so whats this that has been said by mweston about low speed usb devices?

There is a good reason why USB-A to USB-A cables shouldn't exist.
On older machines you could fry your circuits if you connected one Host Port to another.
On a toshiba laptop it said something like "Too much current".
Hopefully Pandora has the same detection or there will be some "bricked" Usb Ports or Pandoras.
Maybe the developer can say something about this.

In the german shop it says that the USB cable is included.

You should never plug one USB-A port to another USB-A port as this essentially shorts the VCC to GND for both devices. Unless the Male-to-Male cable is crossover, if not, you'll be connecting Pin 1 of port a to Pin 4 of port b, and the same vice versa. Pin 1 and 4 happen to be Vcc and Gnd respectively.

Product Description
This type in. A in. male to type in. A in. male USB 2.0 cord is for manual switchboxes and some USB adapters. It is rated at 480Mbps. Please note that it is not a peer-to-peer data transfer cable. Attempting to connect 2 computers with this cable would more

Amazon even got too horrified to type the results of what would happen if you shorted Vcc to Gnd

-Origin

I guess it'll be possible to connect the A-port of one Pandora to the OTG port of a second pandora, and mount its flash as a removable drive, for easy file transfers.

(And likewise, you could connect the A port of the second pandora to the OTG port of the first, so they can both see each others drives :wacko: )

About the Low-spec USB Devices:
In a normal USB Host you have a USB 2.0 controller and a USB 1.1 controller to support all USB-speeds.

I'm not 100% sure about the Pandora, but on the Beagle Board, which is essential the same hardware, they left out the low-spec USB controller because it simplifies the design if you have just one host controller.

So if you want to use a Low-Spec Device you have to use a USB 2.0 Hub, because they have the USB 1.1 controller:

Low Spec Device <-- USB 1.1 Speed --> USB Hub <-- USB 2.0 Speed --> Pandora USB Port

Yeah, I know, I meant Usb 2.0 Speed and USB 1.1 Speed, I have some problems describing it right. :wacko:

Back