Usb-2-vga - Works On Linux, Plug & Play

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
I need VGA to show latex beamer and openoffice presentations from Pandora on conferences. I did extensive search and I found this one:
http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisusbvga.shtml

Some of them were discontinued, but one of them was still possible to buy, it's from tritton (easy on google), a TRI-UV100 (there are others if you browse their website). I paid 55€ (plus a hefty 20€ for shipping) and received it today. I'm happy to report that it works on my linux laptop, and it was literally plug and play! I only needed to write

Code:
Driver "sisusb"
in xorg.conf file!

Here's a photo of my laptop connected via USB2VGA:

usb_2_vga_photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
'cosurgi' said:
I need VGA to show latex beamer and openoffice presentations from Pandora on conferences. I did extensive search and I found this one:
CODE
http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisusbvga.shtml

Some of them were discontinued, but one of them was still possible to buy, it's from tritton (easy on google), a TRI-UV100 (there are others if you browse their website). I paid 55€ (plus a hefty 20€ for shipping) and received it today. I'm happy to report that it works on my linux laptop, and it was literally plug and play! I only needed to write CODE
Driver "sisusb"
in xorg.conf file!

Here's a photo of my laptop connected via USB2VGA:

CODE
http://cosurgi.googlepages.com/usb_2_vga_photo.jpg
Are you sure the pandora can handle it specwise? Some of these devices I've seen online demand a certain amount of processing power

'Kekerot' said:
Are you sure the pandora can handle it specwise? Some of these devices I've seen online demand a certain amount of processing power

CPU usage didn't go over 2% when moving window around. And it was clocking 800Mhz (sempron, energy saving mode).

But there is no OpenGL of course and no XV either on this graphics. Just x11 display driver. Good enough for showing presentations and simple short movies.

EDIT: oops, my mistake - it can peak at 20% CPU usage.

'cosurgi' said:
'Kekerot' said:

CPU usage didn't go over 2% when moving window around. And it was clocking 800Mhz (sempron, energy saving mode).
But there is no OpenGL of course and no XV either on this graphics. Just x11 display driver. Good enough for showing presentations and simple short movies.

I just read some reviews of this on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815118301 and they say it is very choppy. I suppose USB doesn't have the bandwidth to do smooth video. Are you experiencing choppiness?

'Kekerot' said:
Are you experiencing choppiness?
Yes, definitely. When moving window on a screen I can see that it's lagging after mouse a small fraction of a second. Like, I dunno, 100ms - 200ms. I wouldn't use it for some regular work.

but "mplayer -vo x11" plays a movie just fine.

EDIT: to play it fullscreen I must use software scaling (x11 doesn't provide hardware scaling) so I add "-zoom" option to mplayer. Then CPU is 30% used.

TRI-UV200 has DVI output. It uses exactly the same chipset but has more memory and a different USB ID (this is what tritton technical support told me, after I asked). So it's quite possible that it will work.

As you probably have seen, it is difficult to compare x86 CPUs to ARM CPUs. Besides USB bandwidth, system bus bandwidth could be a show stopper for us as well. Since you already have a unit it seems, you'll have to be the guinea pig on this one :) .

'cosurgi' said:
Yes, definitely. When moving window on a screen I can see that it's lagging after mouse a small fraction of a second. Like, I dunno, 100ms - 200ms. I wouldn't use it for some regular work.
i would venture to guess the choppiness is due to the unaccelerated video blits that the driver provides (again, guessing here). try not to invoke such blits, or invoke them at a lower rate, and see what cpu usage would be then (as i am really curious : )

Even pretty choppy, that'd be great for portable presentations. I'm curious to see how you do with this.

'RajTakhar' said:
Which version of Open Office have you got working/will work with Pandora?
The latest one, I guess.... nothing should prevent me from using the latest one.

'darkblu' said:
i would venture to guess the choppiness is due to the unaccelerated video blits that the driver provides (again, guessing here). try not to invoke such blits, or invoke them at a lower rate, and see what cpu usage would be then (as i am really curious : )
hm, I'm not sure how to do this :) I just move a window around or type something or watch... CPU usage & delay is small when typing and biggest when moving a window around. How to invoke more or less blits? ;)

'vputz' said:
Even pretty choppy, that'd be great for portable presentations. I'm curious to see how you do with this.
me too :)

'Gruso' said:
Nice one cosurgi. Look forward to the Pandora tests!

thx :)

What are the resolution options? CPU utilization (and performance) are probably determined by the video resolution and the video content.

User reviews of USB-video adapters that I have read suggest that while motion artifact is a problem for something as simple as moving the mouse, playing a single video file (that is, instead of moving around desktop components) performed surprisngly well.

Anyway, I definitely will be interested in seeing how well it performs on the Pandora.

'cobaltage' said:
What are the resolution options?

I was using here 1024x768, I've seen that 1600x1200 is possible but I didn't try it, because in most places where I show presentations the projector is 1024x768.

'cosurgi' said:
I am not sure how to do this :) I just move a window around or type something or watch... CPU usage & delay is small when typing and biggest when moving a window around. How to invoke more or less blits? ;)
just do not mouse-drag any windows ; )

are there any adapters for using a VGA input with a SVideo output?

I see lots of VGA->SVideo (wrong direction) cables for using a PC with a TV, none the correct way though...

Back