What Ram Memory Stick/slot Is Used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi,

Suppose that 128MB of RAM is not enough for me. It's a linux after all, so I will be able to do some last-minute corrections in my openoffice or latex-beamer (in vim) presentations while being on some conference.

It's great that I will be able to do this without carrying my (current) very heavy and bricky laptop which weights 3 kg. The fact that doing those corrections will be extremely uncomfortable to do with this keyboard is irrelevant. The point is that it will be possible.

Or even just to view a presentation on Pandora, for checking it, without editing, you know.

So - what memory slot for the memory stick will be used - and will it be possible to replace it with a bigger one? I suppose that I will need to open Pandora for that and I hope that it will be rather simple (like unscrewing just 6 screws, or such). For example opening my HP48G to upgrade memory to 256kb involved cutting plastic with hot blade (taken directly from fire).

best regards

cosurgi said:
Hi,

Suppose that 128MB of RAM is not enough for me. It's a linux after all, so I will be able to do some last-minute corrections in my openoffice or latex-beamer (in vim) presentations while being on some conference.

It's great that I will be able to do this without carrying my (current) very heavy and bricky laptop which weights 3 kg. The fact that doing those corrections will be extremely uncomfortable to do with this keyboard is irrelevant. The point is that it will be possible.

Or even just to view a presentation on Pandora, for checking it, without editing, you know.

So - what memory slot for the memory stick will be used - and will it be possible to replace it with a bigger one? I suppose that I will need to open Pandora for that and I hope that it will be rather simple (like unscrewing just 6 screws, or such). For example opening my HP48G to upgrade memory to 256kb involved cutting plastic with hot blade (taken directly from fire).

best regards
The Ram is included on the SoC, and so it is not expandable.

I think you should read this:

http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear. This is one of those issues that's been asked enough times that mention of it seems to result in an almost instant inferno (not least because the ram chip question is answered in the FAQ). So I'm going to do my best to answer your question, and then I'm going to kill the topic before it catches fire, ok? If the answer is insufficient, then use try searching google for: inurl:"http://www.gp32x.de" ram pandora enough.

Or alternatively, please read the FAQ, which should have a detailed response.

Re: Ram. No, you can't change it for a bigger chip. It is soldered onto the bottom of the OMAP3530 via a BGA (ball grid array - see wikipedia). What's more, it is at present the highest capacity available of it's particular ram variety. Higher values of memory may or may not be considered for future versions of Pandora, but they are probably unneccessary, and would certainly reduce battery life very significantly.

Question answered, thread closed to avoid potential flames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back