Upskyway

Excellent! Really nice work on those heights. If it's not too complicated, could you explain how you did them? I tried doing such a game in Fenix a while ago, but I never managed to create heights in any good way...

Here's the gist of it: Each height level is treated like a floor that has a certain height coordinate: ie. h = 1 is the lowest level, followed by h = 2, h = 3, etc. As the floors are simultaneously drawn row by row, the gaps between them are filled with plates perpendicular to them (the dark blue colours), sort of like connecting the dots from one height level to the next. Speed is of course the most pressing problem, so the implementation of this is a never ending task :lol:

Possibly a daft question here but what happens if I run into the 'front' of a raised tile?
shouldnt the tile be floating like a piece of paper over a hole so if you dont jump and land on it and try and roll underneath then you fall through?

not sure i get the point of a raised tile?

My favourite game of this type had none so maybe im missing something obvious.

I do love this type of game and this looks great.

not seen these power ups before but here a few of my ideas for fun powerups

1, a shrink tile! makes the ball say 20% of its original size
2, a grow tile dtriples the ball size and lets you roll easily over holes you would normally fall through

oh and helicopter blades that have a limited amount of fuel and allow you to hold down the jump key to stop yourself landing in a hole.

oooh and what about a power up that splits into 2 balls that jump on the same button press and move like in a mirror eg if ypu collect it on outside left, second ball appears on outside right and then as you move from outside left to right the other ball does the opposite, if one ball drops the other survives.

:D

looking forward to this , Thanks for making it.

Running the ball into a raised tile will be like marching it in a wall, it'll shatter. Give SkyRoads a go to see how this works, and also its older brother Kosmonaut.

Nice power up ideas, I'll keep them in mind for when the game reaches a more mature stage. :)

Alex. said:
Running the ball into a raised tile will be like marching it in a wall, it'll shatter. Give SkyRoads a go to see how this works, and also its older brother Kosmonaut.

Nice power up ideas, I'll keep them in mind for when the game reaches a more mature stage. :)

Ah smashing I never thought of that, same as dropping through I guess, same end result anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a chance to work some more on this today and yesterday! There are now four different height levels, and everything renders at ~50fps at 50mhz (with Gmenu2x's RAM timings applied) :)

upskyway1.png
upskyway2.png

I'm almost done playing with the road engine code, so next on the list is the rollin' ball. Thanks for everyone's feedback and ideas :)

Alex. said:
I got a chance to work some more on this today and yesterday! There are now four different height levels, and everything renders at ~50fps at 50mhz (with Gmenu2x's RAM timings applied) :)

upskyway1.png
upskyway2.png

I'm almost done playing with the road engine code, so next on the list is the rollin' ball. Thanks for everyone's feedback and ideas :)
I don't know the original Game but it looks interesting. Are these squares "real" 3D Polygons or Bitmap graphics?

Everything is drawn on the spot, no bitmaps. The engine is tailored for drawing roads like this and nothing else though, so perhaps it falls under pseudo-3D rather than full 3D, of course depending on how far you're willing to philosophize ;)

Very impressive looking as with all your games. I've been hoping for a trailblazer style game for a while and even started designing graphics to make one myself, though with all my other projects it would have been quite a while before I actually made it and it's much more fun playing a game made by somebody else. Looking forward to when this is released.

Alex. said:
Everything is drawn on the spot, no bitmaps. The engine is tailored for drawing roads like this and nothing else though, so perhaps it falls under pseudo-3D rather than full 3D, of course depending on how far you're willing to philosophize ;)
I feel your pain. Plotting pixels with fixed point math - I hated it so much I posted the code :)

Looking forward to OpenGL ;)

*sees pictures*

*wets pants*

no further commentary necessary...

michael. said:
looks fab! i used the play skyroads a lot back in the day! i salivate in anticipation. if you need any graphics, id love to help out.
Thanks for the offer Michael :) So far I've got all the graphics done (at least for the first release), but I'll keep you in mind if I'll need something later on.

Back