GP32 DOS emulator for GP32

Geiger

Still Fresh
I'm wondering if anyone's come up with a DOS emulator for the GP32. I'd love to bring the old classics on a device that can play them well (I've got a Pocket PC and the screen and controls are pretty terrible for PocketDOS). Jetpack, Skyroads, Commander Keen.....imagine :)

Thanks in advance for any info. I'd also kill for an Atari 180XE emulator, but that's another story :)

I don't think so. Apparently the x86 architecture and ARM9 (?) are very different so writing a DOS emulator would be really hard.

However, it would be ace. Imagine installing Windows 3.1 on a DOS emulator... hehe.

Awww.

Thanks.

I was kinda hoping for one, since I saw they'd ported the SCUMM stuff over onto it. All things considered, what I've seen so far will really make it worth it, just for the Vectrex emulator alone :)

taras posted on Aug 9 2003 said:
I don't think so. Apparently the x86 architecture and ARM9 (?) are very different so writing a DOS emulator would be really hard.
I don't think it'd be hard so much as sloooooow. For instance, you could attempt to port BOCHS, a platform-independant PC emulator. It runs DOS fairly decently, so if you could get it ported it'd probably be fast enough to run Commander Keen, but not something like 2nd Reality. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
NiN^_^NiN posted on Aug 11 2003 said:
Use Dosbox its in c++ and has been ported over to alot of systems.
Oops, forgot about DosBox! You're right, that'd be a better initial idea, as it's a lot more lightweight than BOCHS. Mind you, its support list is a little smaller, but it probably has more potential.

I'll give a shot at compiling it, and see what happens. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are quite a few dos emulators etc about this one interests me http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ what imact does this have on me(I'd say us but ppl get all upset) I've tried other PC emulation and it is just so slow, but I could live with 4 times slower for an awful lot of games.

Dosbox emulates a 200mhz pc in dos that not slow :D

Problems i see with porting a x86/dos emulator is the hdd.

We would have to either have the gp32 smc as a hdd or we would have the smc load directly to the dos commandline

Other problem is the controls. We can set the gp32 as a virtual joystick so to speak or we have it mapped to key presses on a keyboard.

As most game support joysticks some of the greats do no so the best vbet would be to have both as there are 1 or 2 games that use joystick only and they are really good games.

:ph34r:

Back