Skyroads Type Game With Music And Morphing Fx

___

Advanced Member
Double post: Does anyone remember Rayman 3? There was a level where you needed to guide rayman on some kind of a hover board through a warp tunnel... that also was filled with pretty groovy FX that reacted and morphed to the music... how is that for a skyroads like game? Could be done with simple Vector graphics, a bunch of sprites, plasma effects and simple vortex routines... no fancy 3d crap or high-res stuff, only plain old 256 colors (or maybe even 16bit if you really want to)...

Further description of my idea:

Just imagine a game that you could setup to play a certain playlist and custom made levels. You could also have certain skin like packs that feature new sprites and maybe colorfades (256 colors: palette fades etc) for the levels.
You task would be pretty easy: guide your ship through the levels, jumping from platform to platform just like in skyroads while you are listening to your favourite music... the beats and maybe bpm changes, will make the background colors morph and new GFX and eyecandy appear. Like stars that seem to fall towards you, when you break a new highscore, gates of animated artsy fartsy stuff that you pass by and maybe plasma background images (some paralax maps scrolling eventually?)...

all that can be done without using too much memory and cpu time I guess... sprites and such are certainly not the difficulty with SDL and the levels would be pseudo 3D! Think isometric geometry, a simple algorythm to determine the appropriate angle of the track parts, with only one horizon and the ship's sprite beeing moved instead of the track! just cheack out skyroads to get the idea how they did it on 286 back in the days ;)

Hmm... I am not a programmer but if anyone thinks that this is a great idea and would like to give it a try code-wise, I would scrap together my rusty old pixeling skills and do the artwork, old-school ofcourse...

Back