Release Uplink port!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunixbochs

Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/embed/bYLDf4AfR-4?feature=oembed

I'm going to hold onto the beta PND release for a day or so because I still haven't heard from them on licensing (boo), and I want to respect their communication wishes. Even if they've given someone in the community a green light on the Uplink port, I haven't personally received any information from them... this also gives me a chance to ask them about DEFCON and the other ports.

I have a working beta PND ready to upload (it'll just need content from the desktop game). I'll upload it the minute they respond in favor of the release.

I'll continue to work on the port in the meantime. Maybe I'll have the remaining graphical issues fixed by the time they get back to me, and some input/usability improvements worked in.

To anyone holding out on the Humble Bundle because you didn't think we'd actually port the games, you still have a day and a half to change your mind :) Uplink is just the first. The other Introversion releases will follow... DEFCON is already partway done.

Update 1/18/2012:

Released it over here:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the graphical issues are the lack of alignment on the map screen, then you can probably relax - they're present in the PC version too for certain graphics cards. That looks just like my desktop version ;-)

D.

I love this game, I just played up to the ARC missions on the Windows version.

If possible, have a talk with the people over at www.onlink-mod.net , it is a huge mod (currently on hold), I believe they have practically rewritten the entire game. It is definitely my favorite mod, I just wish they had the time to finish it :( . Ahh well.

The people in charge over there might be able to help you, I think Tycho has worked at Introversion as well. None the less, they can probably help with the graphical glitches, they probably know the code inside out.

Edit: For tracking purposes - NESNero's post on the Uplink forums http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=39250

The graphical glitches are partly from my few remaining "// TODO: implement in gles" sections, as well as issues with the font rendering being upside down. I had to redo pretty much every bit of (scattered) code drawing to the screen.

Have you read this by the way?

http://www.introvers...er/license.html

Different platforms and languages are slightly different. If we were to allow a port to a different platform or language, this would potentially exclude us from entering this market. In addition it may put us in violation of any agreements between us and third party developers whom we had paid to generate the new versions. That said if a port is produced for a platform or language that we had not considered or were not currently involved with, then we would be happy to consider licensing the version from the developer for an agreed royalty.

I'm having a hard time understanding what that means. It kinda sounds like they are saying they will consider paying you because you made a port? Or are they saying you need to pay them to get the license?

2.3) Without the express written permission of Introversion, you will not distribute, in any format any version of the program targeted on "PocketPC", "PalmOS", any other PDA Operating System, "GameCube", "Gameboy" (including "Gameboy Advanced"), "Microsoft X-box", "Sony Playstation", any other game console, Macintosh or any other platforms other than Microsoft Windows (for the PC) or Linux.

Sounds like we land under "PDA Operating System", so holding off on a release is probably the best idea.

Fantastic news. The video looks great. The game seems to run very well on the Pandora.

I hope Introversion will contact you soon, can't wait to play this again.

I'm having a hard time understanding what that means. It kinda sounds like they are saying they will consider paying you because you made a port? Or are they saying you need to pay them to get the license?
They specifically said they would not deny a release on Pandora if they were approached with it. It remains to be seen which license(s) we will be granted.

Very good work :) and very fast too.

I'm very happy that i already bought this Bundle.

FFFFFF-

I can't stop watching the video, I want it so much!

How dare you be cautious with licensing. Selfish bastard. //sarcasm

Introvision Y U NO hurry up!?

I bought the Humble Bundle last night, didn't get to install any of them yet, will be waiting for the PND's!! :)

I have DEFCON and Uplink on disc, will these still work or do I need to get the Humble Bundle versions? I don't have much money and I'd feel bad paying a tiny amount for it. Would be nice to get Darwinia and Multiwinia though.

The uplink files should work fine (but you need the 1.55 patch too.) Not sure about DEFCON, but you might not need to add data from that disk, since the demoversion comes with the same data files (maybe not all music, I dunno.)

The bundle average purchase is only $4 USD. That means their success is sourced heavily from small payments. Don't feel bad for helping out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back